Who are the LATEST Rush enthusiasts here?

Drewski

Hi all, this is my first post. bekloppt.gif

I became a Rush fan in 2002, at age 14... right around the time Vapor Trails came out. They announced a show in my town and, with very limited knowledge of who Rush even was, I decided to go because I'd heard they were a great live act. I acquainted myself a bit with their catalog before the concert, but it was that show that ensured I would be a Rush fan forever after... amazing cool.gif

I've been into Guitar Hero since it first came out years ago. When YYZ was put into GHII, I thought "Man, these guys are talented." Eventually, I moved on to Rock Band and Tom Sawyer was introduced and I thought "Them again, awesome song too". Finally Moving Pictures came out as DLC, I downloaded it and was blown away. Two weeks later I bought volumes 1 and 2 of the retrospect albums and I got the third one a few months later when it was released.

Even though I missed the snakes and arrows tour by a few weeks, I drove to Toronto to see them at the ACC for the TM tour and I've got half of their albums on CD. I've also got some awesome seats to see them in Montreal in April.

Moving Pictures also inspired me to buy a real drum kit and re-try my hand at guitar. I've been playing drums for about 2 years now (I gave up on guitar again after learning Tom Sawyer) and half the songs I know how to play on Drums are Rush songs.

Can't believe I managed to find a band I can connect to so easily. I love the stuff Neil writes about.

I've known Rush's stuff all my life because my dad is a hardcore fan, and I was born in 86.......

I personally started getting real big into Rush around the time Vapor Trails came out.

About 2 years ago I started to listen to them as a discovering fan.

It started with a local rock station...It was the station I listened to at work, this was back with their more mixed active rock format (a almost equal mix of old/new, now they don't play older stuff nearly as much). Anyway, this station used to play Rush, a lot, going 4 hours without a Rush song was rare (oh how I wish they would do that again). They would play all of the Rush singles, including one that got stuck in my head. All I could remember was one single line, but it was unlike any song I've heard...a Google search on that line brought up Distant Early Warning.

After that I went and got the whole Grace Under Pressure album, and immediately became a fan. However I was merely a casual fan at that point, dabbling in their more well known stuff, and touching upon a few lesser known tracks. A few months I stumbled on to the Trailer Park Boys episode with Alex. This didn't really do anything for me as a fan, but I was also a blooming Trailer Park Boys fan at the time, so it was very cool, and worth mentioning.

I didn't really become much more interested in Rush until one great coincidence. I was bored, and flipping through the TV, and on one of the channels, probably VH1 Classic, they were playing what I would later find out to be Rush in Rio, I recognized Geddy. I happened to stumble on it at just the right time, it was right before the song that would absolutely blow me away, and make me a the fan I am now. Right from the beginning of Natural Science I was hooked for life.

Flash forward a few months to the end of August, State Fair time. Walking around the fair, and toward the Grandstand gave me a dream that would become a reality a year later, seeing a Rush concert there, which brings us to this past April when the tour dates were announced. It was probably the most ecstatic I've ever been for reading some announcement on the internet, a dream come true...well maybe not a dream, since it wouldn't matter if I had to travel east on the thruway a couple hours to see them, but the thought definitely went through my mind.

That was a lot longer than I thought it would be. I just always thought that the strange coincidences that surround me with regards to Rush to be extremely cool, which is probably why I remember it so vividly.

QUOTE (Mark_L @ Jan 1 2011, 12:40 PM)
Hi all, this is my first post. bekloppt.gif

I became a Rush fan in 2002, at age 14... right around the time Vapor Trails came out. They announced a show in my town and, with very limited knowledge of who Rush even was, I decided to go because I'd heard they were a great live act. I acquainted myself a bit with their catalog before the concert, but it was that show that ensured I would be a Rush fan forever after... amazing cool.gif

Welcome!!!

Archived