Yes - The Ladder - what do you think of it?

treeduck

It's actually a solid album. I know it's all subjective, but the band actually sounds like they LIKE the music on this album. I didn't get that vibe on OYE. And KTA just seemed forced to me. It sounds like the band actually believes in this material (which is evident by how much they played of it on tour, 8 of 11 songs live from a modern Yes album is unheard of), and it makes for a more interesting listen.

Homeworld and New Language are standouts. I really love Lightning Strikes and Face To Face too, upbeat Yes songs that don't sound out of place. The weak points are Jon Anderson's usual hippie shit, but they're not really even bad on here. I'd rate it a 7/10.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Dec 31 2010, 09:39 AM)
It's actually a solid album. I know it's all subjective, but the band actually sounds like they LIKE the music on this album. I didn't get that vibe on OYE. And KTA just seemed forced to me. It sounds like the band actually believes in this material (which is evident by how much they played of it on tour, 8 of 11 songs live from a modern Yes album is unheard of), and it makes for a more interesting listen.

Homeworld and New Language are standouts. I really love Lightning Strikes and Face To Face too, upbeat Yes songs that don't sound out of place. The weak points are Jon Anderson's usual hippie shit, but they're not really even bad on here. I'd rate it a 7/10.

Agreed about Homeworld and New Language. These were probably the best tracks they had released since the 70s. Other than that, most of the album is true to latter day Yes in that I can't bring myself to listen to it. Lightning Strikes comes to mind.

I like it.... a good album to start the day with biggrin.gif It's not my favorite YES album, but it's still a good one!

I like "Homeworld (The Ladder)", Face To Face, To Be Alive and New Language. Nine Voices is OK.

You could pick tracks from the 1996-2001 albums and make one really great disc or two from all of it.

Homeworld is really a great Yes song though.

Worth the price of the cd on it's own.

Homeworld is the real standout track on The Ladder. The rest of it is mostly solid. Definitely more of a group effort than Open Your Eyes.

I didn't like the Keys 2 stuff. Sounded great but the music felt too forced, like they were trying to pretend it was 1973 again.

Meh...........

QUOTE (Imaginos @ Jan 6 2011, 07:08 AM)
It's one of the few Yes albums that I have never heard.

You might want to keep it that way............ wink.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 6 2011, 08:11 PM)
QUOTE (Imaginos @ Jan 6 2011, 07:08 AM)
It's one of the few Yes albums that I have never heard.

You might want to keep it that way............ wink.gif

+1

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jan 2 2011, 12:38 PM)
I like "Homeworld (The Ladder)", Face To Face, To Be Alive and New Language. Nine Voices is OK.

You could pick tracks from the 1996-2001 albums and make one really great disc or two from all of it.

Completely agree with you. I may try to construct one from my itunes.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 6 2011, 08:34 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jan 2 2011, 12:38 PM)

Completely agree with you. I may try to construct one from my itunes.

Let me know what songs you put on there.

Just curious.

Archived