Ticket Scammer for MSG Show and Possibly Others...

LakesideMaiden

Just checked into an ad I saw on Craigslist, and wanted to make sure no one got scammed by this guy...it was for (4) 4th row tickets for the MSG show, to make an offer. So I emailed the guy and he got back to me with this email:

$150 each
My name is Rob. I still have RUSH tickets. I would like to offer the following payment options to you for these tickets because I am not in the city. Me and my wife and kids are unable to make it due to work schedules.

http://www.westernunion.com/
just click on locate agent and go Directly into an outlet like a moneymart ect...
or
http://www.moneygram.com
these are often located in Postal outlets or you can click on there site to find something close to you.

These would be the best payment options that I can ask for, I cant accept PayPal because its been an issue with my credit union for payments. my info is below you will need that

Rob Cook
239 14th St W 320
Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
S6V 3L4
Canada

I will be using FedEx overnight express to send you the tickets, there is no extra charge for this I will also send you a valid tracking confirmation once you have sent the payment to me, I guarantee you will get these tickets within 24-48 hours of payment because I use the express service for FedEx from my company account. I hate scalpers so this is why I have made payment as stated above like this. I hope this is not an issue, If you need any more info please contact me asap.

Thanks
Rob

I checked into it, because working at the Service Desk at Walmart we're trained to catch Money Gram Scams - and this raised about 4red flags with me. One, it's cross-border (except for the most "rabid" Rush fan, why would someone from Saskatchewan have tickets to a New York show when there are dates far closer to him); Two, he will only accept a wire transfer; Three, he won't send out the tickets until he has payment (which is precautionary for most people selling tickets, on top of the other two things, it's not safe); and Fourth, his email even sounds sketchy: rockstarshows@hotmail.com.

So I looked at ScamChecker.com, and found this: Robert Cook Ticket Scam

So, I just wanted to give everyone a heads up so no one gets duped by this guy.

Lol. A buddy of mine once got scammed similar to this but with a car!

The scam was that he went down to the States to test drive the car. Then when he returns home he wires the guy the money, and he's supposed to ship the car back up to Canada within the next 2-4 days. YEAH RIGHT.

Great catch!

I believe there is a ticket scam in the works for my show in Cleveland. Someone on stubhub is selling 2 tickets to Suite 126. That suite is my company's and they have not released any tickets to employees yet. Employees are not allowed to sell the tickets anyway. I told our ticket corrdinator about it and she is pretty much ignoring it as a scam. None of her business I guess.

a link to it..

http://www.stubhub.com/rush-tickets/rush-c...et_id=274660466

2.gif

Edited by tripdad

Okay, so I politely replied that I was going to pass, because I wasn't comfortable with the means of payment, and this was his reply back to me:

you know RUSH is from Canada right

atleast i have the tickets, as you can see in this picture i have the seats

its to bad you wont be sitting 4th row center floor.. with geddy lee and alex lifeson and neil peart

He then attaches this image:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/lakesidemaiden/tickets.jpg

and expects me to be able to see the faces of the tickets. Well, I had enough when I just saw the "You know RUSH is from Canada right?"....so this was my reply to him:

Okay, that was a little bit of a direct attack on me.  Yes, I know that Rush is from Canada.  I've been a fan for over 20 years now.  I've seen Rush 13 times, and yes, would love to see them at MSG again- hence why I contacted you initially.  However, when you reply saying that you won't take paypal, and will only accept a cross-borders wire, that screams scam.  And for the record, when you're trying to prove that you have the tickets, you might want to get a larger picture that a person can actually see the face of the ticket.  For all I know, that could be for a Hamilton Bulldogs game worth $20 each. 

See kids, scalpers do Suck

This reminds me of the time when my dad scammed some guy at MSG. He told me the story about how he was seeing the Grateful Dead but he didn't have a ticket, so some guy told him that he had a fake ticket ticket that may or may not get him into the arena, so he bought it for like 15 bucks. Anyways some guy asked if he had a ticket, and he told him that he did,so he sold the guy a fake ticket and used that money to get a real ticket. laugh.gif Edited by bigmoney2112

QUOTE (rusher @ Dec 29 2010, 01:42 PM)
Anyone who sends money to an individual person before receiving the product that is not through a legit market (eBay, Amazon, stubhub and such) is just asking to be taken. Especially on Craigslist.

Yep. I learned my lesson about Craigslist last summer. Had 2 great seats to Albuquerque, "sold" them on craigslist and never received payment.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. 150,000 worth of college degrees didn't prepare a dork like me for the ticket scammer.

HW

Nice of LSM to post this warning. I especially loved your response to his picture of the tickets! laugh.gif

Speaking of scammers, whatever happened with the Red Rocks scalper (he hit other venues as well) who crammed everyone two and three-deep into the first three rows, thereby pissing off the people who had the actual real seats that they bought directly through LiveNation/TB? He obviously had something going with the security staff. . .

All I can remember is that he personally was at each of the venues, stuffing people into the rows like those guys on the Japanese subways. . .

In general, StubHub and Ebay are USUALLY safe. The methods of payment are what you MUST watch out for. Since this tour has plenty of tickets available through ticketmaster and all of the other original sellers, I wouldn't go with either unless you find great seats at a decent price.

There are also NUMEROUS brokers out there. Some are legit, some not. Personally I have used gegevents.com for broadway tickets and they have always been legit. The owner is a standup guy who backs everything 100%. He's expensive though and I only use him when in a pinch.

As a general rule, if they won't accept paypal, don't buy them. Paypal is really your only protection against fraud in ebay and craigslist transactions..

I'm surprised anyone would fall victim to this guy, the red flags are all over the place with this. The payment method is a dead give away that it's a scam. Hopefully he'll get reproted on enough and get banned from that site. Unfortunately, that won't stop him because scammers like that always have a way to get people's money. Thanks for letting us know in case one of us ever ends up having to deal with him we know to stay clear of it.

I used StubHub last summer for Rush tickets and didn't have a problem. It seems that and Ebay are the safest ways to go from what i've heard and experienced.