Who are the earliest Rush enthusiasts here?

GeminiRising79

I was turned on to Rush by a local stoner dude, who always played ONLY the first minute of stuff, going "dude, you gotta hear this!" He'd play 30 second to a minute and then go, "oh man, you gotta hear this TOO!"

One night, he just pulled out ATWAS which was released the week prior, and said; "This just came out! Dude, you're a drummer, right? You REALLY gotta hear this!" And he dropped the needle on Working Man, and actually LET IT PLAY through the drum solo and a little into What You're Doing...going "That is the wildest track I've ever heard!"

I bought the album the next day, and started a trend of buying the rest the first day they were released!

That said...I didn't get to see them until the GuP tour...Had tickets to see them in Hershey for the PWaves tour, but I got into a bit of a rift with the parentals, and was denied!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was only 9 back in 1976 when I would spin my siister's records and FBN, CoS, and 2112 were forever etched in my brain. But it wasnt until after seeing them in concert when I was 13 in 1981 that I went out immediately after and bought all their back catalog. In my neck o' the woods, I was the biggest Rush fan around.

I became a fan when I first heard 2112 and my first thoughts was.....*what the hell was that?* but it was the bomb. I got hooked on A Farewell to Kings but school got in the way until Grace Under Pressure. THAT album was the one that took me over the edge along with it being my first concert. I've seen every tour except TFE of 44+ shows.

Next up next March 30th as they start/end up the Time Machine tour once again here in South Florida.

Mid 80s for me, although I do remember hearing 2112 in my mates house when I was about 6 or 7, his brothers were in to Judas Priest & AC/DC etc, but Geddys voice stood out in my memory from that time. Later when I was properly introduced to Rush I remembered hearing Overture/Temples of Syrinx all those years ago 1022.gif

I had a buddy who was really into Rush and I trusted his recommendation. I was at a used record store and bought All The World's A Stage because it had a lot of songs and I like live records. I was hooked. This would have been around the time Permanent Waves was new. So I guess I've been a solid Rush fanatic since 1980. I was 14 or 15. The first song I remember hearing on the radio was The Spirit Of Radio. Great place to start. Saw them for the first time for the Signals tour and seeing them again this April. 30 something years on and they are aging like fine wine.

august of 1981 i guess......i didnt really know about them until MTV came on the air and then all of sudden you had tom sawyer and limelight on MTV every few hours (i lived in rural KY...so not alot of RUSH news...lol).....I was hooked and have been ever since.....I was 11 years old and it's been great listening to them all these years.

1977 for me, I was a 10 year old girl spinning my older brothers Rush albums on my blue suitcase record player - you remember those, the record player had a lid and a handle and it closed up like a little suitcase. You had to put a penny or dime on the needle to keep it from skipping. I'll take that over an mp3 anyday!

QUOTE (MCM @ Dec 30 2010, 06:39 PM)
1977 for me, I was a 10 year old girl spinning my older brothers Rush albums on my blue suitcase record player - you remember those, the record player had a lid and a handle and it closed up like a little suitcase. You had to put a penny or dime on the needle to keep it from skipping. I'll take that over an mp3 anyday!

laugh.gif 1022.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Dec 30 2010, 07:57 PM)
I knew this thread was going to get 80's posts. Let's stick to EARLY.

I'm going to claim the 70s because if you lived in any "Subdivision" in 1980 it was as close to the 70s as you could get. Otherwise I just wanted to say:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww geez, don't kill my buzz, man. We see this thread and start reminiscing about the good old days. I guess someone could start an 80s thread tho.

2.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Dec 30 2010, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (MCM @ Dec 30 2010, 06:39 PM)
1977 for me, I was a 10 year old girl spinning my older brothers Rush albums on my blue suitcase record player - you remember those, the record player had a lid and a handle and it closed up like a little suitcase.  You had to put a penny or dime on the needle to keep it from skipping.  I'll take that over an mp3 anyday!

laugh.gif 1022.gif trink39.gif

let's hear it for us old fogies!! bekloppt.gif

70's Rush is the best!! yes.gif search your heart, you know it to be true.....

Personally, I really don't think that it matters. I have been a CRAZY Rush since 1993. So, 17+ years for this Rush Chick (which, that is how most music lovers in my area know me...I'm the "rushchick"). Do I care HOW long I have loved Rush? No, just that I love them. No one else in this geographical area loves them as much as me. Not that have come forward and shown themselves, at least! laugh.gif laugh.gif I would bow to their majesty if they did!

1975 or so---I thought Rush was playing music that was a little more complex and interesting than the coming new wave/ punk/ disco insaturation. I liked Yes and Pink Floyd, too.

I'm 48 now and dig Rush just as much now as I did then. I like parts of everything they do. Some of it is genius, the rest is merely pleasurable. Very little nonsense, not a bad band to spend a lifetime following.

QUOTE (geodesicdomer @ Dec 31 2010, 04:06 AM)
1975 or so---I thought Rush was playing music that was a little more complex and interesting than the coming new wave/ punk/ disco insaturation. I liked Yes and Pink Floyd, too.

I'm 48 now and dig Rush just as much now as I did then. I like parts of everything they do. Some of it is genius, the rest is merely pleasurable. Very little nonsense, not a bad band to spend a lifetime following.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hi folks im new here but a long time Rush fan.I first heard Rush around 1977/78 when a mate gave me a loan of All The World A Stage which i was blown away with though Geddys vocals took a bit of getting used to wink.gif .I was at the time and still am a huge Deep Purple and associated bands fan and was used to listening to for me what are the holy trinity of Rock Singers namely Ian Gillan,David Coverdale and Ronnie James Dio so Geddy was a bit of a quantum leap from that and to start with i loved the instrumental side of Rush but kinda felt what a great band pity about the singer!Since then i have grown used to Geddys voice and feel that he really is the only voice for Rush though i still dont rate him in any list of top vocalists but he is a genius Bass player!!My first Rush gig was in Edinburgh on the Moving Pictures tour in 81 and i was hugely impressed by the band as a live act though felt then and still do that they dont interact much with the crowd.Since those days i followed Rush faithfully up to the end of the 80s and then kinda lost interest and touch with the band for a while but would periodically stil play some Rush.I have continued to buy the bands albums throughout the 90s and 00s but kinda feel thier best days are in the past every album over that period although decent enough has had a kinda heard it all before feeling with really only 2 or 3 standout tracks per album though as a live act the band though slowing down (due to age obviously) are still a great act and i have my tickets for the Glasgow gig in May

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Dec 31 2010, 12:57 PM)
Hi there lightintheblack ... there are a few of us Scots in here .. and hopefully meeting up before the SECC gig. Head over to the Time Machine Hot Tub and say hi in the Glasgow thread!

Oh and welcome to TRF! trink39.gif

Hi Foxxi thanks for the welcome i will pop in the hot tub sometime

Archived