The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

Yeah, I fear me and my friend made asses of ourselves...

I took off my shirt and started "playing" it like Steve Harris

I kept yelling SCREAM FOR ME ATLANTA all day and then when Bruce said it I went batshit

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jun 24 2012, 07:40 PM)
Apparently Infinite Dreams was rehearsed and they meant to play it, but ended up choosing to put Afraid to Soothe Stranglers on the set. Maybe they will rotate the two...

Yeah I heard that too on the Maiden FC forums. A couple of fans bumped into Rod Smallwood at the end of the show at one of the shows (I think Atlanta) and asked a few questions about the set and etc. This is what he said based on some info I dug up from the FC forums:

Caught Somewhere In Time will never be played ever again because in his words, the band thought it sounded like crap live. He didn't say the words "never be played ever again" but if he said the band thinks it's shit live, then chances are, they won't bother with it. Bummer, there goes one song from SIT that's retired for good.

Infinite Dreams was originally in the set and was rehearsed, but the band opted to go with Afraid To Shoot Strangers for reasons he or the band has yet to explain. Rod implied that the band has no plans to put it back in the set on the US tour as the band are "really happy" with the set. I think if they bring it back, they might play it on next year's leg of the tour, kinda like what they did with Wrathchild a few years ago on the SBIT tour.

There was apparently a spoken intro with organ music before Phantom of the Opera during opening night (any video of that?), and that's been dropped. Rod didn't like it.

Hallowed Be Thy Name will NOT be coming back. Whether he said for the US tour or forever he never made clear. I think the band dropped the song because they felt like it.

To be honest, after a few days to let it sink in, I think the current set works perfectly, even with no Infinite Dreams or Hallowed. I've been listening to it on playlist and now I'm even more excited to see them in Newark. 1022.gif

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jun 25 2012, 01:04 AM)
Hallowed Be Thy Name will NOT be coming back. Whether he said for the US tour or forever he never made clear. I think the band dropped the song because they felt like it.

Damn, it is my favorite song, but I'll still enjoy myself. A bit of a bummer though.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jun 25 2012, 12:08 AM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jun 25 2012, 01:04 AM)

Damn, it is my favorite song, but I'll still enjoy myself. A bit of a bummer though.

It's my favorite song as well, but it is a bit long in the tooth. Too much of even a good thing after so long, I suppose. Sucks, but I get it...

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 24 2012, 09:40 PM)
I had no complaints with his voice

I don't overall either. You'll never find anyone who sings the praises of how great Bruce's voice is than me. It just seemed he was being a bit lazy with "ooohs" and not belting them out like I know he still can.

It's interesting to read what Rod Smallwood had to say to those fans. It's a very puzzling choice to do ATSS over Infinite Dreams, especially since this tour is based around 7th Son. ATSS could've easily waited until next tour but something must've gone wrong in rehearsals (Jannick f***ing something up, anybody?) to make them drop Infinite Dreams. It's been one of, if not the most requested song fans want to hear from them live. We've been wanting to hear that song live for over 20 years and Steve should've gave into the fan pressure at least one time for that song.

Hallowed will be back, I think Ron just meant it won't be back this tour. There's no way the drop that song forever. It was just that songs time to take a break. On the AMOLAD tour they didn't do Number Of The Beast and on the 2010 tour they played nothing from POM-7th Son. So all the standards have gotten a break in recent years. Even Run To The Hills was off for two tours before being brought back for this one. If they can drop all the regulars at least once, Hallowed certainly isn't an exception to that.

I knew Caught Somewhere In Time was never gonna be played again. I've heard some boots from that tour and Bruce had a rough time singing that one. He had a hard time hitting the notes in the chorus. If he couldn't do it live then, he sure as hell can't do it now.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I saw the SIT tour and i thought he sang great. It was hard for him to sing the title track because he used to run around like a loon and did not have the proper time to catch his breath. Shame they won't be playing it agian , i love that song

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 25 2012, 10:22 AM)
I saw the SIT tour and i thought he sang great. It was hard for him to sing the title track because he used to run around like a loon and did not have the proper time to catch his breath. Shame they won't be playing it agian , i love that song

Seriously, they could modernize it a bit or change a bit of it to their liking or shorten it or something...it's one of my favorite Maiden tunes

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 25 2012, 11:26 AM)

Seriously, they could modernize it a bit or change a bit of it to their liking or shorten it or something...it's one of my favorite Maiden tunes

They played Moonchild without the playback intro they used during the 7th Son tour/Maiden England tour on the the SBIT tour, so yeah I see where you're coming from with the whole retooling songs to fit their liking. If Bruce struggled singing CSIT, then there's no way in hell he could sing Sea of Madness. The band's been on record by saying Alexander The Great is the best song ever that they've yet to play live, but according to 'Arry, Adrian doesn't remember the solo.

I have a feeling that outside of Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait, Maiden doesn't really like SIT that much, or at least they think every other song won't work live anymore.

Edited by PolarizeMe

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jun 25 2012, 09:04 PM)

They played Moonchild without the playback intro they used during the 7th Son tour/Maiden England tour on the the SBIT tour, so yeah I see where you're coming from with the whole retooling songs to fit their liking. If Bruce struggled singing CSIT, then there's no way in hell he could sing Sea of Madness. The band's been on record by saying Alexander The Great is the best song ever that they've yet to play live, but according to 'Arry, Adrian doesn't remember the solo.

I have a feeling that outside of Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait, Maiden doesn't really like SIT that much, or at least they think every other song won't work live anymore.

Not sure how anyone can dislike SIT, it kicks ass

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 25 2012, 10:29 PM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jun 25 2012, 09:04 PM)

Not sure how anyone can dislike SIT, it kicks ass

Agreed

They could but if the band's manager said they're never playing it again because they think it sounds like shit live, then there's nothing that can be done about that. No matter how good a song is, if the band as a whole doesn't like the way it comes off live, then all hope is gone for it to be played. Both the song and the album are great but overall I don't believe Maiden likes the album much.

Nicko and Rod were on Eddie Trunks radio show last night. Fun interview for about 2 hrs and we now know why they are not doing Hallowed . Nicko said the first setlist they wrote out was to brutal for Bruce to sing night after night . He said the 5 of them got together and pulled a few songs out and as much as he and Steve love the song they thought it was only fair to Bruce since he has to sing them. He did not say what the other few tunes they chopped were but atleast we now know why Hallowed is not there

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 26 2012, 02:10 PM)
Nicko and Rod were on Eddie Trunks radio show last night. Fun interview for about 2 hrs and we now know why they are not doing Hallowed . Nicko said the first setlist they wrote out was to brutal for Bruce to sing night after night . He said the 5 of them got together and pulled a few songs out and as much as he and Steve love the song they thought it was only fair to Bruce since he has to sing them. He did not say what the other few tunes they chopped were but atleast we now know why Hallowed is not there

Now that's an understandable reason as to why they would drop Hallowed. It is a vocally demanding song, but so is Aces High and that's one of the more difficult songs to sing, especially if it's the first encore song. I'm glad they explained the whole situation about the set, and I think it's for best. I would definitely not want to see Bruce pushing himself with whatever they had originally and potentially over killing his voice.

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 26 2012, 08:26 PM)
wearing my SIT shirt right now

I have my Early Day's tour shirt on . It's a Party ! laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 26 2012, 08:30 PM)

horns up mofo

I had a friend with an Early Days shirt, I got excited cause I thought he saw Maiden but it turned out he got it at Hot Topic

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 26 2012, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 26 2012, 08:30 PM)

horns up mofo

I had a friend with an Early Days shirt, I got excited cause I thought he saw Maiden but it turned out he got it at Hot Topic

laugh.gif Got mine at the show . Hot Topic = Avenged Sevenfold