The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

On 10/16/2022 at 11:15 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I just got tickets for next sunday!  It'll be my first time ever seeing them, so I really don't care if they play nothing but hits or all of the new album or whatever they want.  I will say though, I do like to be surprised, so I am trying to avoid much in the way of setlist spoilers, but I do know a couple of things I've seen around. 

Anyway, :ROCK:

They put on a fun show!!

• Like 1

Well, you can take everything I say with a grain of salt since this was my first time ever seeing them but…

THAT WAS FANTASTIC!!!! How does a 60 something year old Bruce Dickinson  still have 95% of what he had in 1982??? That’s what it sounded like to me. Idk about Rod’s show, maybe he was having an off night? I didn’t my notice any songs played significantly slowly, and I never heard Bruce miss or chicken out of anything that wasn’t a NOTB level high pitched scream. The guitars sounded incredible, just unreal, and I didn’t my even have the best sound in the world considering I was in the nosebleeds, but the solos were just breathtaking, like I was listening to a studio recording.  The only think I thought seemed amiss was some possible rhythmic confusion in one song, and perhaps the song right after it, but it seemed like something where Nicko might have just gotten off on the wrong beat during a weird time signature and Bruce and Steve went over to him during the solo section, probably to do a little course correction. It was no big deal, and frankly I may have just been hearing it wrong. It was during an odd time section after all.  But the props! The sets! The costume changes! The energy!! Jannick swinging his guitar around like a professional guitar swinging athlete!!!! Ugh. I knew Maiden were great live and put on a great show… but this was comparable with a Rush show, and Geddy didn’t sound as good on R40 as Bruce sounds to this day.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well, you can take everything I say with a grain of salt since this was my first time ever seeing them but…

THAT WAS FANTASTIC!!!! How does a 60 something year old Bruce Dickinson  still have 95% of what he had in 1982??? That’s what it sounded like to me. Idk about Rod’s show, maybe he was having an off night? I didn’t my notice any songs played significantly slowly, and I never heard Bruce miss or chicken out of anything that wasn’t a NOTB level high pitched scream. The guitars sounded incredible, just unreal, and I didn’t my even have the best sound in the world considering I was in the nosebleeds, but the solos were just breathtaking, like I was listening to a studio recording.  The only think I thought seemed amiss was some possible rhythmic confusion in one song, and perhaps the song right after it, but it seemed like something where Nicko might have just gotten off on the wrong beat during a weird time signature and Bruce and Steve went over to him during the solo section, probably to do a little course correction. It was no big deal, and frankly I may have just been hearing it wrong. It was during an odd time section after all.  But the props! The sets! The costume changes! The energy!! Jannick swinging his guitar around like a professional guitar swinging athlete!!!! Ugh. I knew Maiden were great live and put on a great show… but this was comparable with a Rush show, and Geddy didn’t sound as good on R40 as Bruce sounds to this day.

As great as Rush was live, they don't compare to Maiden's live show. When I saw them on The Book Of Souls tour it was one of the last shows and Bruce's voice lacked the power it normally had but the tour was winding down so his voice was probably wearing out a bit. When I saw them again in 2019, he sounded as great and powerful as always. It's amazing to think that he never had any vocal training but he still knows how to take care of his voice after all these years and still sing at such a high level. I just hope when they start doing stuff off SIT on the next tour that it doesn't kill his voice. Knowing Bruce, he will find a way to make it work. The rest of the band still being able to play this kind of complicated music in their mid 60s and Nicko still doing it at 70 is really something else.

Did you see Within Temptation? If so, how were they? I'm not too crazy about the setlist they decided on for this tour.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

As great as Rush was live, they don't compare to Maiden's live show. When I saw them on The Book Of Souls tour it was one of the last shows and Bruce's voice lacked the power it normally had but the tour was winding down so his voice was probably wearing out a bit. When I saw them again in 2019, he sounded as great and powerful as always. It's amazing to think that he never had any vocal training but he still knows how to take care of his voice after all these years and still sing at such a high level. I just hope when they start doing stuff off SIT on the next tour that it doesn't kill his voice. Knowing Bruce, he will find a way to make it work. The rest of the band still being able to play this kind of complicated music in their mid 60s and Nicko still doing it at 70 is really something else.

Did you see Within Temptation? If so, how were they? I'm not too crazy about the setlist they decided on for this tour.

Really insane how well they still perform.  I’ll say I think Rush definitely do compare from and energy and musical standpoint. They don’t have the theatrics though, but then that’s not who Rush are anyway. Yeah, if they do an American leg for the SIT/Senjutsu tour I will be buying tickets, hopefully with my dad. This set was probably more his speed (I don’t think he knows much off Somewhere In Time), but I imagine most the big crowd pleaser hits will remain. Maybe it’ll be a longer set? Have they said if they’d have openers?

On Within Temptation: I did! I knew you and Segue would kill me if I didn’t, lol. I have to confess though I really only listened to The Heart Of Everything before seeing them live, and only a couple times. So I felt like most, if not all, of the songs were brand new to me (one of them did sound familiar). I thought they were excellent. The band sounded good, and the singer (looking up her name…) Sharon was just fantastic. She had plenty of energy all throughout and hit every bit she reached for, and her highs were beautiful and powerful and perfectly in tune the whole time. I think it was the last song they played, something she said was much older, that I loved the best. Mother Earth looks like it was called. The rest I enjoyed, but after that one I could hear how much of the rest of the set had kind of dialed back the epic in favor of the anthemic. One thing that really stood out to me was the light show. They weren’t given use of the video boards, so they seemed to make up for it by blinding us (in a good way) with spectacular strobes, rotating beams, and beautiful floods that synched up with the music so well they felt like a visceral part of it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Really insane how well they still perform.  I’ll say I think Rush definitely do compare from and energy and musical standpoint. They don’t have the theatrics though, but then that’s not who Rush are anyway. Yeah, if they do an American leg for the SIT/Senjutsu tour I will be buying tickets, hopefully with my dad. This set was probably more his speed (I don’t think he knows much off Somewhere In Time), but I imagine most the big crowd pleaser hits will remain. Maybe it’ll be a longer set? Have they said if they’d have openers?

On Within Temptation: I did! I knew you and Segue would kill me if I didn’t, lol. I have to confess though I really only listened to The Heart Of Everything before seeing them live, and only a couple times. So I felt like most, if not all, of the songs were brand new to me (one of them did sound familiar). I thought they were excellent. The band sounded good, and the singer (looking up her name…) Sharon was just fantastic. She had plenty of energy all throughout and hit every bit she reached for, and her highs were beautiful and powerful and perfectly in tune the whole time. I think it was the last song they played, something she said was much older, that I loved the best. Mother Earth looks like it was called. The rest I enjoyed, but after that one I could hear how much of the rest of the set had kind of dialed back the epic in favor of the anthemic. One thing that really stood out to me was the light show. They weren’t given use of the video boards, so they seemed to make up for it by blinding us (in a good way) with spectacular strobes, rotating beams, and beautiful floods that synched up with the music so well they felt like a visceral part of it. 

Most of Within Temptations set is newer stuff. I wish they did do something off Heart Of Everything. I think The Howling would have gone down well with the Maiden crowd. I'm shocked they're not doing Ice Queen which is one of their more popular and "well known" songs. It's on the same album as Mother Earth. You should definitely give that one and The Silent Force a listen. They are playing one song from that album, Stand My Ground. Sharon is fantastic. My crush on her has been going for almost 20 years now. I think at this point it will be a lifelong one 😄

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Most of Within Temptations set is newer stuff. I wish they did do something off Heart Of Everything. I think The Howling would have gone down well with the Maiden crowd. I'm shocked they're not doing Ice Queen which is one of their more popular and "well known" songs. It's on the same album as Mother Earth. You should definitely give that one and The Silent Force a listen. They are playing one song from that album, Stand My Ground. Sharon is fantastic. My crush on her has been going for almost 20 years now. I think at this point it will be a lifelong one 😄

I okay, I’ll have to check those two out.

Lol well if you ever go to see them open for Maiden, just remember they don’t get to use the video boards. 

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I okay, I’ll have to check those two out.

Lol well if you ever go to see them open for Maiden, just remember they don’t get to use the video boards. 

I wouldn't expect any opener to use the video screen since it's not their screen to begin with.

3 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

JEALOUS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I wonder if they trying to aim their setlist at US fans, thinking the songs you mentioned are too "European". That's the only reason I can think of, catering to an audience they don't know. Are they popular in America?

Personally I would have trusted an Iron Maiden audience to enjoy anything off the first three albums especially.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I think Within Temptation are gifted with the most entertaining female singer in metal. I have all their DVDs and I spin them often. She's magic! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I wonder if they trying to aim their setlist at US fans, thinking the songs you mentioned are too "European". That's the only reason I can think of, catering to an audience they don't know. Are they popular in America?

Personally I would have trusted an Iron Maiden audience to enjoy anything off the first three albums especially.

They're not too popular. I would say not as popular as Nightwish but more popular than Epica. Most of their North American tours are pretty short. They come here for maybe a month or so, hit the main cities and that's it. They've never been on any big festivals here or opened for any big names before. Opening for Maiden is the biggest tour tour they've ever had here. Hard to believe that they've been going for 25 years and this is the first time they have gotten this big of a chance in North America.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

They're not too popular. I would say not as popular as Nightwish but more popular than Epica. Most of their North American tours are pretty short. They come here for maybe a month or so, hit the main cities and that's it. They've never been on any big festivals here or opened for any big names before. Opening for Maiden is the biggest tour tour they've ever had here. Hard to believe that they've been going for 25 years and this is the first time they have gotten this big of a chance in North America.

It's crazy how different our rock and metal scenes are. Fascinating though, sometimes it makes for the best conversation 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

It's crazy how different our rock and metal scenes are. Fascinating though, sometimes it makes for the best conversation 

i've talked with you and i've had my brain rocked, lol

it really is eye opening.

Mick

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I'm glad you liked it! I was there Friday night. The ONLY thing that struck me was that he didn't go way up high on Run To The Hills. But I mean, considering his cancer and just aging in general, that's not too much of a shocker. And, they are all aging, but aren't we all. The sound was still great, it was a great crowd (except for the man with the gun up by the stage which we all heard about the next day - yikes, good job Prudential (*rolling eyes) ) and we had the best time, too. We were on the floor but back by the soundboard, further back than my last time but just as much fun, and more breathing room, which was fine by me. But the energy is just amazing.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Laurabw said:

I'm glad you liked it! I was there Friday night. The ONLY thing that struck me was that he didn't go way up high on Run To The Hills. But I mean, considering his cancer and just aging in general, that's not too much of a shocker. And, they are all aging, but aren't we all. The sound was still great, it was a great crowd (except for the man with the gun up by the stage which we all heard about the next day - yikes, good job Prudential (*rolling eyes) ) and we had the best time, too. We were on the floor but back by the soundboard, further back than my last time but just as much fun, and more breathing room, which was fine by me. But the energy is just amazing.

Wait, someone with a gun was let into the building?

Yes! Apparently he was crowd surfing and someone up there saw a gun, I guess in his waistband or something. They alerted security who came and took him out, I think over the front rail. It was in the group chat on the Maiden Fan Club forum., from people who were right up there.

ok, I just got this back from Pru security:

Laura,

I am in receipt of your e mail regarding the report of a subject carrying a firearm at the Iron Maiden concert. I am aware of the situation as well. The subject was a sworn police officer and was identified at the ingress as being armed. We have a process that sworn officers have to follow.

Once security was advised that his weapon was observed by patrons he was removed and escorted out of facility.

So I suppose that makes it better, but, still, not sure how I feel about that. I mean, if there had been something that happened, would he have pulled his gun? I guess he carries it around wherever he is, and I don't blame him for having it in Newark, but in General Admission at an Iron Maiden concert, when he's crowd surfing....that makes me a tad uncomfortable! 

• Like 1

With Iron Maiden - the Future Past Tour 2023 having Europe, United Kingdom, and Ireland dates at arenas, they included three Canadian dates on it, too, which are in Calgary, AB., on Sept. 28, Edmonton, AB., on Sept. 30, and Vancouver, B.C., on Oct. 2.  For the concert in Vancouver, on Oct. 2, I've bought a ticket in a good seat to attend it.  I don't want to miss this tour as it might be Iron Maiden's best one.  Even better, than Legacy of the Beast.   

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

For anyone, who would like, and wants to know, on the weekend, I went to, and was in Vancouver to attend "Iron Maiden - the Future Past Tour", on Mon. Oct. 2.  For two days, I went to Vancouver on Sun., and returned, yesterday afternoon.  I thought Iron Maiden was spectacular.  Their "the Future Past Tour" is the best, and or one of their best.  When they perform on more North American dates, I recommend seeing their latest tour because everything about it is worthwhile.   

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 11:46 AM, Union 5-3992 said:

I'm shocked they haven't announced anything else yet. I wonder if they have a deal with Power Trip to not announce any more shows until the festival is up.

If they announce anywhere within a 3 hour drive I'm there .

I think this will be announced in the next few months. But before that, Bruce has a new solo album coming out, with a few tour dates already announced.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2023 at 1:58 AM, treeduck said:

TD … who’s you Fav Maiden axe-man ?
🎸🤔

For me .. Adrian Smith wins hands down !

( Good songwriter too ! 👍