The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

I would ask Jannick what was the biggest challenge for him when he joined the band, and how he overcame it.

That's a good question.

A question for any of them which would surely get MANY headlines is "what's preventing them from playing Alexander the Great? Is there any particular part of the song that is tricky to play, or are they saving it for a special occasion?'

A question for any of them which would surely get MANY headlines is "what's preventing them from playing Alexander the Great? Is there any particular part of the song that is tricky to play, or are they saving it for a special occasion?'

I already know the answer. Adrian can't remember his solo. I guess every time he tried to duplicate it, he would f**k it up and kill the song dead.

At least that's the rumor I have read online.

• Like 1

I already know the answer. Adrian can't remember his solo. I guess every time he tried to duplicate it, he would f**k it up and kill the song dead.

Dang really? That's sad. Couldn't he just write a new one that he could remember how to play?

I heard/read that too, but that's hard to believe. Adrian is VERY skilled, and has a lot more up his sleeve than what he shows in the Maiden albums.

Dang really? That's sad. Couldn't he just write a new one that he could remember how to play?

I suppose but I'm not a musician, so maybe it's possible that trying something new screws up the songs timing for everyone else?

I can definitely see it happening though. Alexander and Caught Somewhere in Time both have parts with VERY tricky transitions and time signatures, and maybe they prefer to focus on something new. But the fans have been begging for this song for ages now.

I suppose but I'm not a musician, so maybe it's possible that trying something new screws up the songs timing for everyone else?

They would be listening to Nicki's cues, and not the lead guitar though...

Edited by Rod in Toronto
  • Like 1

They would be listening to Nicki's cues, and not the lead guitar though...

We all know that Steve is the boss. Maybe there's something about the song he just doesn't like and that's why it's never been played. I'm sure Bruce would have mentioned it by now if that was the case. Bruce gives no f***s and is usually pretty honest and upfront with things.

Also what memories he has of playing with Ian Gillan, and if that influenced the guys in Maiden in any way to pick him.

isn't he with Maiden because he was working with Bruce on Tattooed Millionaire when Adrian quit? I mean obviously Steve had to be okay with it, but I've always assumed that was the biggest reason.

Also what memories he has of playing with Ian Gillan, and if that influenced the guys in Maiden in any way to pick him.

isn't he with Maiden because he was working with Bruce on Tattooed Millionaire when Adrian quit? I mean obviously Steve had to be okay with it, but I've always assumed that was the biggest reason.

Yes, that played a huge part on him joining Maiden. H also wrote Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter, which Bruce used for the soundtrack of A Nightmare on Elm Street, but Steve thought was so good that he wanted to release it as a Maiden track.

Oh dear...a 12 minute Harris song, an 11 minute Harris song, a 10 minute Harris song, and all back to back. And before that there's a 9 minute Harris song, and an 8 minute Harris song and a 7 minute Harris song...
  • Like 2

Oh dear...a 12 minute Harris song, an 11 minute Harris song, a 10 minute Harris song, and all back to back. And before that there's a 9 minute Harris song, and an 8 minute Harris song and a 7 minute Harris song...

You're halfway to a 0 minute Harris song in that countdown!

That might sound more like 80's Maiden.

At least back then he knew that one epic per album was fine. Somewhere along the way he decided that four or five per album was the standard.

• Like 2

At least back then he knew that one epic per album was fine. Somewhere along the way he decided that four or five per album was the standard.

It's more like 6 or 7 epics on this one, with the shortest song 4:03, the next shortest is 4:59. They're the only two songs under 6 minutes and all but one of the rest are 7 minutes long at least.

I am very excited about the new album!

So excited, I thought today was the 21st and tried to pre-order it.

:doh:

• Like 2

I am very excited about the new album!

So excited, I thought today was the 21st and tried to pre-order it.

:doh:

I don't know why the pre-order isn't available once the album info is announced. Not that Maiden needs the money but it would probably give a boost to pre-orders if fans were able to do them right away.

It's more like 6 or 7 epics on this one, with the shortest song 4:03, the next shortest is 4:59. They're the only two songs under 6 minutes and all but one of the rest are 7 minutes long at least.

I guess it depends on what one would think constitutes an epic. Is a 6 or 7 minute song from Maiden really considered an epic at this point? Or is it more along the lines of something that gets around the 10 minute or more territory?

I guess it depends on what one would think constitutes an epic. Is a 6 or 7 minute song from Maiden really considered an epic at this point? Or is it more along the lines of something that gets around the 10 minute or more territory?

Well epic is the wrong word really, they're not epics they're just extended and too long.

I just ordered the CD w/book. Did I already blab about Mark Wilkinson doing the artwork and that I love him and he does Fish's stuff?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this, I really like their longer "epic" stuff. I think it appeals to my proggy-girl side!

• Like 2