The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

There is no way I'd drive 600 miles to see a show from the lawn, although I'm not too far from it with these seats. It's my fault, though. I got the warning from my Live Nation app, but I didn't think anyone would go with me to the show. Then, lo and behold, my brother is phoning me up one day talking about it, and I got the best seats that I could. Section 5, Row Y...it's not even covered, so I guess we'll be looking at the TV screens.

The songs I want to hear the most on this tour are Prisoner, Phantom of the Opera and 07th Son. These 03 alone are worth the whole show, and they still have Moonchild, Aces High and Wasted Years in the bag, all of them less than obvious choices for their sets. I can´t wait to see them in 20 days time!

OK, just got back from Raleigh. Here are my thoughts:

1)Even though I didn't have close seats, I must've been in the acoustic sweet spot. The sound was awesome! Also, I thought my new glasses weren't correct, but I could see the band members clearly, so I guess I just had to get used to them.

2)Damn, I'm getting old and America is getting fat. I couldn't believe how many fat people, besides myself, were at the show. I remember growing up when I was the only fat kid. There were hardly any hot chicks. It was amazing how many rough looking chicks and bald dudes were there. I knew it would be that way, obviously, but seeing it made me feel old!

3)Megadeth only played 10 songs. That REALLY DISAPPOINTED ME. They were all hits, except the one new song, from the new album. I wanted to hear "Trust," and "Dance in the Rain," but they scrapped those. They did insert "Tornado" which rocks. She-wolf kicked ass, because I love "Cryptic Writings," but it was sort of out of place with all the other hits.

4)Megadeth sounded EXCELLENT. Actually, their sound was better, IMHO, but I'm not an audiophile. I didn't get to hear a Dave rant: He just said, "I'll give you something to think about. Has there ever been a time in history where the rest of the world was more pissed off at America than right now?" He's right.

5)Iron Maiden rules! I love the way they make it into a theatrical performance, with the props, and Bruce all over the stage. I can't believe how much energy all of those guys have. It was cool how the robot Eddie came out, and then some other Eddie's popped up behind the drum kit, in front of the curtain, for other songs.

6)"7th Son of a 7th Son" was unbelievable, as was "Phantom of The Opera." And, they played my favorite, "Wasted Years." They played 15 songs.

Conclusion: This was a "bucket list" type of thing for my birthday. I am glad I went, but I wouldn't spend the same amount of money and travel expense to see either of these bands play just 15 songs. I justified it by saying that I got 25 songs for the money. A lot of Rush fans don't realize the value that they get with hearing 26 songs at each show.

sounds awesome! it'll be my first time seeing megadeth so I'm cool with a set that's pretty much all hits. way I see it, better tornado of souls or sweating bullets than something off of risk or this world needs a hero!

weird about the number of grotesque humans you seem to have seen. last time I saw maiden the crowd was about what you'd expect - average metalheads mostly, ranging from skinny to fat as hell, but I also saw a good bit of decent looking girls.

1)Even though I didn't have close seats, I must've been in the acoustic sweet spot. The sound was awesome! Also, I thought my new glasses weren't correct, but I could see the band members clearly, so I guess I just had to get used to them.

2)Damn, I'm getting old and America is getting fat. I couldn't believe how many fat people, besides myself, were at the show. I remember growing up when I was the only fat kid. There were hardly any hot chicks. It was amazing how many rough looking chicks and bald dudes were there. I knew it would be that way, obviously, but seeing it made me feel old!

3)Megadeth only played 10 songs. That REALLY DISAPPOINTED ME. They were all hits, except the one new song, from the new album. I wanted to hear "Trust," and "Dance in the Rain," but they scrapped those. They did insert "Tornado" which rocks. She-wolf kicked ass, because I love "Cryptic Writings," but it was sort of out of place with all the other hits.

4)Megadeth sounded EXCELLENT. Actually, their sound was better, IMHO, but I'm not an audiophile. I didn't get to hear a Dave rant: He just said, "I'll give you something to think about. Has there ever been a time in history where the rest of the world was more pissed off at America than right now?" He's right.

5)Iron Maiden rules! I love the way they make it into a theatrical performance, with the props, and Bruce all over the stage. I can't believe how much energy all of those guys have. It was cool how the robot Eddie came out, and then some other Eddie's popped up behind the drum kit, in front of the curtain, for other songs.

6)"7th Son of a 7th Son" was unbelievable, as was "Phantom of The Opera." And, they played my favorite, "Wasted Years." They played 15 songs.

Conclusion: This was a "bucket list" type of thing for my birthday. I am glad I went, but I wouldn't spend the same amount of money and travel expense to see either of these bands play just 15 songs. I justified it by saying that I got 25 songs for the money. A lot of Rush fans don't realize the value that they get with hearing 26 songs at each show.

I hate to nitpick but Maiden's set is 17 songs. Megadeth playing only ten songs seems right as the opening band. I think they only have about 40-45 minutes to play. Also, no Megadeth fan today wants them to play Trust. The song is completely overplayed live and i'm glad they dropped it for this short run with Maiden. Hearing them open with Hangar 18 would be awesome. That must've got the crowd going pretty good right away.

• Like 1

I hate to nitpick but Maiden's set is 17 songs. Megadeth playing only ten songs seems right as the opening band. I think they only have about 40-45 minutes to play. Also, no Megadeth fan today wants them to play Trust. The song is completely overplayed live and i'm glad they dropped it for this short run with Maiden. Hearing them open with Hangar 18 would be awesome. That must've got the crowd going pretty good right away.

yeah for headlining gigs megadeth has more room to play shit, but when youre opening for iron maiden, you wanna play what you know kicks ass

Someone in the crowd said that the venue had a curfew of 11 pm, so, with the stage having to be re-set for IM, then this is why they had to keep it short. Good call.

Yes, they did open with Hangar 18, which is the first Megadeth song I ever heard. I was expecting "Trust," but when I heard the opening notes of H18, I went nuts!

... can't get this out of my head, today ...."Not a prisoner, i'm a free man, & my blood is my own now. Don't care where the past was,I know where i'm going...."

Someone in the crowd said that the venue had a curfew of 11 pm, so, with the stage having to be re-set for IM, then this is why they had to keep it short. Good call.

Yes, they did open with Hangar 18, which is the first Megadeth song I ever heard. I was expecting "Trust," but when I heard the opening notes of H18, I went nuts!

... can't get this out of my head, today ...."Not a prisoner, i'm a free man, & my blood is my own now. Don't care where the past was,I know where i'm going...."

That's because The Prisoner is an awesome tune with a chorus that's as catchy as anything ever written. It's one of those tunes that can get stuck in your head for days after hearing it. I saw them twice last summer and that song was one of the highlights for both shows. Of course it's Maiden so pretty much the whole show is a highlight.

they're comin back to the states tomorrow...wonder if the setlist will be changed at all. of course I'd love to see them drop afraid to shoot strangers, but the set's so damn good I can't complain.

and I wonder what megadeth's set will be...I've never seen them before, but their sets always end up being very predictable

Are you going to be at the Raleigh, NC show tomorrow? I am taking my brother to see it. Sort of a "bucket list" thing that I wanted to do, since we weren't "allowed" to listen to this type of music when we were growing up. We don't have the best seats, but at least we're not on the lawn.

nope, I'll be at the nashville show on thursday. got pit tickets as an early birthday present.

don't knock lawn til you try it! I've had lawn at several shows, always a fun time. you can do pretty much whatever you want

Enjoy the show. Look forward to the review :smoke:

ok that kicked ass. megadeth thankfully dropped she-wolf and played an all killer set (kingmaker was the worst but it sounds better live) and they sounded fantastic. dave's voice sounded a lot better than I remember from recent live albums and videos. and when he briefly talked politics, I actually agreed with him (he voiced his opinion on Syria). as good as megadeth were, as soon as maiden came out I forgot all about them. I was pretty close to the stage, and I got to see everything and feel the heat of the pyro and all that stuff. flawless setlist, even afraid to shoot strangers sounded better. the crowd and band was really energetic, the show was sold out, and it was just a great experience. even though I promised myself I wouldn't drop 40 bucks on a shirt, once I got there I had to pick up the stranger in a strange land shirt (wearing it now). great birthday, great show.
  • Like 2

I'd love to see this set. But they've still only done the one show over here in England. Did the same thing back when they played the Live After Death stuff, and I'd have killed to see that show.

We only seem to get a proper tour if they're supporting an album, but miss out on all these fun tours where they bring back all the old stuff.

Still, good for you guys that get to see it.

Edited by Your_Lion

Wow, there´s a Stranger in a Strange Land shirt for sale? Is trhis the one where Eddie´s in a bar and wearing a hat? I NEED ONE NOW!!! Hopefully it will be available in Curitiba...18 days and counting!
  • Like 1

I'd love to see this set. But they've still only done the one show over here in England. Did the same thing back when they played the Live After Death stuff, and I'd have killed to see that show.

We only seem to get a proper tour if they're supporting an album, but miss out on all these fun tours where they bring back all the old stuff.

They probably don´t play many gigs in England on these "celebratory" tours because they toured all those albums extensively when they came out...that´s my guess at least.

They probably don´t play many gigs in England on these "celebratory" tours because they toured all those albums extensively when they came out...that´s my guess at least.

But a big reason why Maiden is doing these nostalgia tours like this one and the Somewhere Back In Time is because they wanted newer/younger fans who never got to see those old tours to experience it in some way. They mentioned it on the Flight 666 DVD I believe. The fans in the UK should be no exception to this. It's very strange they aren't touring around there more. Of course, i'm sure the amount of money they would make with these throwback tours was a bigger deciding factor in doing it more than wanting the younger fans to experience the old stuff live.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

But a big reason why Maiden is doing these nostalgia tours like this one and the Somewhere Back In Time is because they wanted newer/younger fans who never got to see those old tours to experience it in some way. They mentioned it on the Flight 666 DVD I believe. The fans in the UK should be no exception to this. It's very strange they aren't touring around there more. Of course, i'm sure the amount of money they would make with these throwback tours was a bigger deciding factor in doing it more than wanting the younger fans to experience the old stuff live.

maybe they felt guilty for not touring the states as much as they used to? no clue really

Wow, there´s a Stranger in a Strange Land shirt for sale? Is trhis the one where Eddie´s in a bar and wearing a hat? I NEED ONE NOW!!! Hopefully it will be available in Curitiba...18 days and counting!

yep! 40 bucks, but worth it! they also have a can i play with madness shirt, evil that men do shirt, seventh son, eddie riding a horse (got that at my last maiden show), and some other cool ones