The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jul 2 2012, 10:46 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 2 2012, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jul 2 2012, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 2 2012, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jul 2 2012, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 2 2012, 10:05 AM)
Just a few hrs away now 1022.gif

I'm so pumped and ready for the show tonight, I've been listening to nothing but Maiden and Alice Cooper today! 1022.gif

I never listen to the band i'm going to see on the day of the show. To me, that ruins the concert experience for later and I really don't understand why people do that? Listening to a song that the band is gonna play on the day of the show would ruin the concert experience for me. How special is the song gonna be live if you just heard it a few hours ago at home, on the way to the show or in the parking lot?

I don't know, maybe i'm just weird wacko.gif

I figured the same thing. I listen to them a bit a few days before, but not the day of the show. Porcupine Tree day on the 16th

I could listen to a band i'm seeing the day of the show as long as it's songs they won't be playing that night. I always get a kick out of people who are cranking Tom Sawyer and The Spirit Of Radio in the parking lot before a Rush show. I always think to myself "really? you're gonna be hering those two songs in a little while, what's the point of listening to them right now?"

Eh, I guess it's preference? IDK I have this weird paranoia that if I don't listen to some songs the band is playing that night, then I won't get into the song live as much...does that make sense? I mean, for example if I saw Dream Theater and they played a song they haven't played in awhile and that I've haven't listened to in the longest time, then I tend to forget parts of the song, I forget lyrics, or even worse; they play a song that I don't like or does nothing for me when I see them live, and I end up loving the song months after I saw them. I understand that some of you don't like listening to the songs bands are playing that night, and I'm cool with that. But for me personally, I do this for the purpose of having the songs fresh in my head. This practice of mine began after I saw Porcupine Tree at Radio City, but even though I had no clue of the set, most songs I listened to on the way ended up being played and I ended up enjoying the show more knowing these were songs that were fresh in my head.

Oh, and BTW the Maiden show tonight was an amazing experience, but Alice Cooper blew me away with his stage show.

You don't listen to the band your going to see in the weeks leading up to the show? That's how I do my refresher, not on the day of the concert. Some may consider this cheating but if it's a band like Maiden or Rush who keeps the same set for the whole tour, i'll make a playlist on my ipod of the setlist and listen to that to get me ready for it. That way if the band does play something I haven't heard in awhile I will still be able to refresh myself on it in time. Of course that doesn't work if you're going to the opening night of the tour, but I haven't had that opportunity too often with any band. I will usually not listen to anything from the band i'm seeing about three or four days before the show.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 3 2012, 08:31 AM)

I'm so pumped and ready for the show tonight, I've been listening to nothing but Maiden and Alice Cooper today! 1022.gif

I never listen to the band i'm going to see on the day of the show. To me, that ruins the concert experience for later and I really don't understand why people do that? Listening to a song that the band is gonna play on the day of the show would ruin the concert experience for me. How special is the song gonna be live if you just heard it a few hours ago at home, on the way to the show or in the parking lot?

I figured the same thing. I listen to them a bit a few days before, but not the day of the show. Porcupine Tree day on the 16th

I could listen to a band i'm seeing the day of the show as long as it's songs they won't be playing that night. I always get a kick out of people who are cranking Tom Sawyer and The Spirit Of Radio in the parking lot before a Rush show. I always think to myself "really? you're gonna be hering those two songs in a little while, what's the point of listening to them right now?"

Eh, I guess it's preference? IDK I have this weird paranoia that if I don't listen to some songs the band is playing that night, then I won't get into the song live as much...does that make sense? I mean, for example if I saw Dream Theater and they played a song they haven't played in awhile and that I've haven't listened to in the longest time, then I tend to forget parts of the song, I forget lyrics, or even worse; they play a song that I don't like or does nothing for me when I see them live, and I end up loving the song months after I saw them. I understand that some of you don't like listening to the songs bands are playing that night, and I'm cool with that. But for me personally, I do this for the purpose of having the songs fresh in my head. This practice of mine began after I saw Porcupine Tree at Radio City, but even though I had no clue of the set, most songs I listened to on the way ended up being played and I ended up enjoying the show more knowing these were songs that were fresh in my head.

Oh, and BTW the Maiden show tonight was an amazing experience, but Alice Cooper blew me away with his stage show.

You don't listen to the band your going to see in the weeks leading up to the show? That's how I do my refresher, not on the day of the concert. Some may consider this cheating but if it's a band like Maiden or Rush who keeps the same set for the whole tour, i'll make a playlist on my ipod of the setlist and listen to that to get me ready for it. That way if the band does play something I haven't heard in awhile I will still be able to refresh myself on it in time. Of course that doesn't work if you're going to the opening night of the tour, but I haven't had that opportunity too often with any band. I will usually not listen to anything from the band i'm seeing about three or four days before the show.

I do listen to the bands I see before the day of the show, it's just that in this case, I made a playlist of Alice Cooper's set and listened to it for a good week or two including on the day of show because he's someone that I haven't really listen to prior to Maiden announcing their tour, but I wanted to know some of his material before the show so I wouldn't be the only one in the pit who knew none of the songs he played that night. I would've listened to his material months ago when they announced the tour details, but it was one of those things that slipped by me and I forgot about listening to his stuff until I was reading the opening night spoilers at the Maiden forums. I still enjoyed his set regardless, and he really blew me away. Glad I got to see him instead of Coheed and Cambria.

With Maiden, I didn't really listen to their set as much before the show yesterday, but threw a song like Phantom and ATSS in there. I did make a playlist of all of the Maiden England songs and I listened to that playlist regularly for months before yesterday's show. But when I found out the actual setlist on this tour, I had to go back and listen to the songs like ATSS because I wasn't expecting them to play any post Seventh Son songs other than FOTD, and songs like Aces High were something I thought would never see live. In fact the last time I listened to ATSS (and most of FOTD) was a year ago.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jul 3 2012, 11:43 AM)

I do listen to the bands I see before the day of the show, it's just that in this case, I made a playlist of Alice Cooper's set and listened to it for a good week or two including on the day of show because he's someone that I haven't really listen to prior to Maiden announcing their tour, but I wanted to know some of his material before the show so I wouldn't be the only one in the pit who knew none of the songs he played that night. I would've listened to his material months ago when they announced the tour details, but it was one of those things that slipped by me and I forgot about listening to his stuff until I was reading the opening night spoilers at the Maiden forums. I still enjoyed his set regardless, and he really blew me away. Glad I got to see him instead of Coheed and Cambria.

With Maiden, I didn't really listen to their set as much before the show yesterday, but threw a song like Phantom and ATSS in there. I did make a playlist of all of the Maiden England songs and I listened to that playlist regularly for months before yesterday's show. But when I found out the actual setlist on this tour, I had to go back and listen to the songs like ATSS because I wasn't expecting them to play any post Seventh Son songs other than FOTD, and songs like Aces High were something I thought would never see live. In fact the last time I listened to ATSS (and most of FOTD) was a year ago.

I actually don't need to make a playlist of Cooper or Maiden at all. I've been listening to both of them for so many years, all their material, especially the older stuff is embeded in my brian forever. But I still think it's cool to create a playlist of any bands set and listen to it to get ready for the show.

When it comes to Coopers setlists you shouldn't have worried about not knowing anything. For the most part if you know the big hits you'll be good. But he always throws in a few deps cuts for the diehard fans like playing Black Widow, Brutal Planet and Wicked Young Man. I guess it also depends on how old you are to when it comes to how familiar you are with Cooper's hits to.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 3 2012, 09:16 PM)

I actually don't need to make a playlist of Cooper or Maiden at all. I've been listening to both of them for so many years, all their material, especially the older stuff is embeded in my brian forever. But I still think it's cool to create a playlist of any bands set and listen to it to get ready for the show.

When it comes to Coopers setlists you shouldn't have worried about not knowing anything. For the most part if you know the big hits you'll be good. But he always throws in a few deps cuts for the diehard fans like playing Black Widow, Brutal Planet and Wicked Young Man. I guess it also depends on how old you are to when it comes to how familiar you are with Cooper's hits to.

Well, I've been listening to Maiden long enough to know most of their material. But I think in this case, I listened to half of their set just to calm myself down from getting too excited and anxious before the show because it was my first time seeing them. In Cooper's case, he was always one of those bands that I've been wanting to listen to for a long time, but never got around doing so for whatever reason. Since he opened for Maiden, that was a good reason and excuse for finally listening to some of his stuff, and I must say, I really liked it a lot. Need a few more listens, but I can say with certainty that I like what he's doing.

In fact the reason why I didn't see Maiden the last time they came here was because I was starting off as a Maiden fan and had heard they were playing mostly stuff from Brave New World onward, which I had yet to give a good listen to at the time. I definitely would've gone if I wanted to, but even though Maiden puts out an amazing show each time, I thought that I wouldn't enjoy the show as much as I would had I known most of the newer songs. It was probably for the best and I think it paid off, because I think this tour is better than the last tour. The band was on fire in Newark despite a majority of the pit in my vicinity being total douches in moshing so much, some people got crushed, and some were assholes that one "fan" slapped a girl when she got pushed into him during the whole thing. I'm new to the live Maiden experience so I probably don't know as much, but I didn't expect that much moshing cause I thought "true" Maiden fans didn't have the audacity to be so rude as in moshing just to get in the front, but more on that and the rest of the show sometime later.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jul 4 2012, 12:17 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 3 2012, 09:16 PM)

Well, I've been listening to Maiden long enough to know most of their material. But I think in this case, I listened to half of their set just to calm myself down from getting too excited and anxious before the show because it was my first time seeing them. In Cooper's case, he was always one of those bands that I've been wanting to listen to for a long time, but never got around doing so for whatever reason. Since he opened for Maiden, that was a good reason and excuse for finally listening to some of his stuff, and I must say, I really liked it a lot. Need a few more listens, but I can say with certainty that I like what he's doing.

In fact the reason why I didn't see Maiden the last time they came here was because I was starting off as a Maiden fan and had heard they were playing mostly stuff from Brave New World onward, which I had yet to give a good listen to at the time. I definitely would've gone if I wanted to, but even though Maiden puts out an amazing show each time, I thought that I wouldn't enjoy the show as much as I would had I known most of the newer songs. It was probably for the best and I think it paid off, because I think this tour is better than the last tour. The band was on fire in Newark despite a majority of the pit in my vicinity being total douches in moshing so much, some people got crushed, and some were assholes that one "fan" slapped a girl when she got pushed into him during the whole thing. I'm new to the live Maiden experience so I probably don't know as much, but I didn't expect that much moshing cause I thought "true" Maiden fans didn't have the audacity to be so rude as in moshing just to get in the front, but more on that and the rest of the show sometime later.

Not knowing Cooper's stuff before the show isn't a big deal since he was the opener and you weren't specifically there to see him. If i'm going to a concert to see the headliner then it's doesn't matter to me if I know anything from the opener or not. But if i'm going to see a band headline, I usually don't go unless i'm familiar with at least 75-80 percent of their material. There's nothing worse then spending your money on a concert ticket and then not knowing what the headline act is playing. I made that mistake a few times early in my concert going years and the show just isn't enjoyable if you're not familiar with a bands discography.

I saw Maiden on the 2010 tour and it was a very good show, but the lack of anything from POM, PS, SIT and SSOASS was a bit of a bummer. It just didn't quite seem like a Maiden show without those albums being represented. Since you're new to Alice Cooper, if you haven't already I would recomend checking out his work from the 70s. The albums Love It To Death, Killers, Billion Dollar Babies and Welcome To My Nightmare are his best from that time.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 4 2012, 08:51 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 2 2012, 03:05 PM)

How was it??!!?!?!?!?!?!

Fantastic . A Must see show if they come near you

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 5 2012, 02:14 PM)

How was it??!!?!?!?!?!?!

At this point, having seen them 6 times and Bruce solo once, if there's one Maiden setlist I'd pay to see it's this one. I'll try to catch them on tour in Rio next year.

A friend of mine who went to one of the shows said that Bruce seemed kinda tired towards the end of the show (he noticed that on Aces High). Did any of you notice that as well?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 5 2012, 03:14 PM)

How was it??!!?!?!?!?!?!

I been waitin' 31years for this .

2 more weeks ! 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jul 5 2012, 02:56 PM)
A friend of mine who went to one of the shows said that Bruce seemed kinda tired towards the end of the show (he noticed that on Aces High). Did any of you notice that as well?

Yeah, he had a bit of a difficult time trying to sing some of the higher parts in Aces High but that song is tough one to sing live, especially since this time they're playing it as the 1st encore song and not the 1st song of the show. I guess he's trying to sing lower notes to prevent himself from hurting his voice. I do recall one of the guys saying that their original set was too brutal on Bruce's vocals that they had to get rid of some songs to make it easier on the voice.

Edited by PolarizeMe

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jul 5 2012, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 5 2012, 03:14 PM)

How was it??!!?!?!?!?!?!

I been waitin' 31years for this .

2 more weeks ! 1022.gif 1022.gif

I can't wait either.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jul 5 2012, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jul 5 2012, 02:56 PM)

Yeah, he had a bit of a difficult time trying to sing some of the higher parts in Aces High but that song is tough one to sing live, especially since this time they're playing it as the 1st encore song and not the 1st song of the show. I guess he's trying to sing lower notes to prevent himself from hurting his voice. I do recall one of the guys saying that their original set was too brutal on Bruce's vocals that they had to get rid of some songs to make it easier on the voice.

Go listen to Aces High on Flight 666, even as the first song Bruce isn't singing it at that high of a range either. The biggest contributing factor as to why he may seem tired probably has to do with how hot and humid it's been through most of the country the last few weeks. That's got to be talking a lot out of him on stage considering how hyper he usually is. Also, the set is vocally demanding and doesn't have too many slow spots in it either. All of that combined is probably draining Bruce a little more than usual.

Did I get that right? They are playing Aces High AND Phantom AND AFRAID TO SHOOT STRANGERS???

Man I gotta see that show!

They didn't dig Where Eagles Dare out of the vaults? Or No Prayer For The Dying?

I'd be over the top ...

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Jul 6 2012, 07:48 AM)
Did I get that right? They are playing Aces High AND Phantom AND AFRAID TO SHOOT STRANGERS???
They didn't dig Where Eagles Dare out of the vaults? Or No Prayer For The Dying?
I'd be over the top ...

Yes, you read that right. Here's the set for this tour if you wanna take a look:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iron-maiden/...l-4bdf5f56.html

1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 6 2012, 01:57 PM)
QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Jul 6 2012, 07:48 AM)
I'd be over the top ...

Yes, you read that right. Here's the set for this tour if you wanna take a look:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iron-maiden/...l-4bdf5f56.html

1022.gif 1022.gif

Thanks ... This is amazing. Can't wait for tour dates this side of the Atlantic.

On a side note, have you guys noticed how Bruce's cockney accent has waned off over the years? If you compare what he said on stage on the Beast On The Road Tour with now, it's completely different! He still sounds British of course, but much more "polished".

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jul 6 2012, 09:03 AM)
On a side note, have you guys noticed how Bruce's cockney accent has waned off over the years? If you compare what he said on stage on the Beast On The Road Tour with now, it's completely different! He still sounds British of course, but much more "polished".

They're all British accents to me, I have no clue what different styles of the accent are supposed to sound like confused13.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 6 2012, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jul 6 2012, 09:03 AM)

They're all British accents to me, I have no clue what different styles of the accent are supposed to sound like confused13.gif

He still sounds the same to me. I don't notice any difference in his voice or the other guys' voices either. confused13.gif

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jul 7 2012, 02:03 AM)
On a side note, have you guys noticed how Bruce's cockney accent has waned off over the years?

He's actually the only one in the band that isn't a Londoner (not inc Gers). I think from Sheffield or thereabouts (?) His accent has definitely softened over the years. Steve's accent on the other hand... laugh.gif

Being a professional singer for 30 years now may have changed Bruce's speaking voice a bit to. I don't hear much difference in his speaking voice on Live After Death and El Vivo other than the fact he's older now and your speaking voice changes as you age.

A week from tonight I will be seeing them in Toronto. My first of two shows this tour 1022.gif

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jul 6 2012, 07:59 PM)
10 more days, I can hardly sit still.

It's been almost a week since I saw them and I feel like I have withdrawal from seeing Maiden live. Can't wait to see them again. Seeing them for the first time was like a life changing experience for me. Hope you have fun at the show! 1022.gif

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jul 6 2012, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jul 6 2012, 07:59 PM)
10 more days, I can hardly sit still.

It's been almost a week since I saw them and I feel like I have withdrawal from seeing Maiden live. Can't wait to see them again. Seeing them for the first time was like a life changing experience for me. Hope you have fun at the show! 1022.gif

trink39.gif 1022.gif