The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Apr 23 2012, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Apr 23 2012, 05:26 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 23 2012, 03:17 AM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Apr 22 2012, 07:47 PM)
A majority of Seventh Son will be played during this tour. According to the interview from Adrian Smith on That Metal Show last night.

Yeah, I saw that to. The only songs they didn't do off it on the original tour were The Prophecy and Only The Good Die Young. There's no reason that they shouldn't do the same six off it again. The only one I would rule out might be the title track if Bruce isn't able to reach and hold those notes anymore.

Yeah, the title track sounds a hard one to sing. In some spots there's hardly any time to breath before singing the next bit.

On Maiden England he used the time-honoured technique of going "Seventh son of a seventh..."[*indicates for the audience to sing the next word*]

I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce does indicate the audience to sing along during the title track if they do play it this tour. It is a tough one to sing, but I have a feeling that with the voice he has now live, Bruce has the potential of singing it better than he did on Maiden England. I'm pretty sure they would bring it back though since they resurrected a song like Rime of the Ancient Mariner on the SBIT tour.

Yeah, Bruce is a much better live singer now then he was back in 1988. He has better control of his singing and his voice doesn't take a few songs to get warmed up and sound right like it used to. He probably didn't do much, if any kind of vocal warm ups back in the 80s. If it's a song they play to death live like RTTH, NOTB, 2MTM or The Trooper, Bruce is kind of lazy at singing those now. But if it's a new song or a song that they haven't played in ages then Bruce puts his all into it.

Still SSOASS is gonna be tough to pull off. While singing the verses he's only got a second to suck in a deep breath and do the "ooooooh!" Bruce's voice has aged incredibly well but he's still lost some range over the years.

Edited by J2112YYZ

The one thing about Adrian's TMS interview that bummed me out was his declaring "Fear Of The Dark" as a "must-play" song. It's a fine song. However, I'd love to see it sacrificed in order to play one of the songs that hasn't been played in years.

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Apr 24 2012, 09:22 AM)
The one thing about Adrian's TMS interview that bummed me out was his declaring "Fear Of The Dark" as a "must-play" song. It's a fine song. However, I'd love to see it sacrificed in order to play one of the songs that hasn't been played in years.

Yep, I said the same thing to my wife. Who told them it's a must play? I know plenty of real Maiden fans and they are all sick of it.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 24 2012, 09:41 AM)
The one thing about Adrian's TMS interview that bummed me out was his declaring "Fear Of The Dark" as a "must-play" song.  It's a fine song.  However, I'd love to see it sacrificed in order to play one of the songs that hasn't been played in years.

Yep, I said the same thing to my wife. Who told them it's a must play? I know plenty of real Maiden fans and they are all sick of it.

Count me in.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 24 2012, 10:41 AM)
The one thing about Adrian's TMS interview that bummed me out was his declaring "Fear Of The Dark" as a "must-play" song.  It's a fine song.  However, I'd love to see it sacrificed in order to play one of the songs that hasn't been played in years.

I agree with you, but people really seem to love OHHHH sing-alongs. I can see why they keep it.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Apr 24 2012, 10:40 PM)
I don't mind what they play, as long as they play.

goodpost.gif

I don't want them to split...my first concert was The Matter of Life and Death tour...

Was over a friend's house this weekend and caught some of Flight 666. Now I'm getting into Maiden after never giving them a chance. The imagery and song titles made me think they were all death metal or something xD But man, I'm really liking what I'm hearing O:

QUOTE (Echoes @ Apr 29 2012, 11:35 PM)
Was over a friend's house this weekend and caught some of Flight 666. Now I'm getting into Maiden after never giving them a chance. The imagery and song titles made me think they were all death metal or something xD But man, I'm really liking what I'm hearing O:

Edward the Great was my introduction to the band but it wasn't until Flight 666 when I called myself fan. Not the concert part of it, but the actual documentary. The Eddie imagery might make it seem a bit death metal or whatever, but it was partially the reason why I wanted to give this band a chance in the first place.

The Number of the Beast is usually where people want to start off when it comes to listening to Iron Maiden for the first time, but anything from that album up to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is considered the "Golden Era" of Iron Maiden. Can't go wrong with any of those albums! Their recent material is really good also and I'd recommend those as well.

The song sucks. There are a ton far better songs for fans to sing along to.

Edited by greg2112

The imagery and song titles made me think they were all death metal or something

How old are you? Given how popular they are all over the world how could someone ever mistake them for death metal?

Anyways, some will tell you start off with their first two albums but I would avoid them since their first singer was awful and there's only a handful of good tunes on them. Start with the Bruce Dickinson material and try the albums Number Of The Beast and Piece Of Mind first.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 30 2012, 08:27 AM)
The imagery and song titles made me think they were all death metal or something

How old are you? Given how popular they are all over the world how could someone ever mistake them for death metal?

Anyways, some will tell you start off with their first two albums but I would avoid them since their first singer was awful and there's only a handful of good tunes on them. Start with the Bruce Dickinson material and try the albums Number Of The Beast and Piece Of Mind first.

I'm 20 laugh.gif

My Dad has their albums, so I've seen them since I was young. Never really listened though. And yeah, Bruce is a beast. So far my favorite songs are "Where Eagles Dare" and "Hallowed Be Thy Name".

QUOTE (Echoes @ Apr 30 2012, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 30 2012, 08:27 AM)

I'm 20 laugh.gif

My Dad has their albums, so I've seen them since I was young. Never really listened though. And yeah, Bruce is a beast. So far my favorite songs are "Where Eagles Dare" and "Hallowed Be Thy Name".

Cool, those are two of my favorites, along with most of the Maiden fanbase. After those two albums listen to Powerslave, Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. That will cover all the classic 80s albums they did with Dickinson.

Am I the only one who thinks that Rush wrote the very first Iron Maiden song with Bastille Day? laugh.gif

I've always wanted Maiden to record a cover of it. The song is perfect for them to do.

So, the Ozzy vs Bruce thread got me thinking about Dickinson's solo career. I figured this thread would be a good place to discuss it since we've gotta kill some time before Maiden starts their tour next month.

I've never heard Tatooed Millionaire so I can't say anything about that. Balls To Picaso had some good songs but overall I don't think it was anything that special and I have no f*ckin clue what Bruce was trying to do with Skunkworks. He made up for that with the excellent Accident Of Birth and The Chemical Wedding which I think are both classics. I also think these two albums have what might be Bruce's two best vocal performances of his career. Tyranny Of Souls was a very solid album to and I know his time is consumed by Maiden but I would love to hear a few more solo efforts from him sometime in the future.

Favortite songs from Bruce's solo career:

Tears Of The Dragon

Star Children

Taking The Queen

Darkside Of Aquarius

Accident Of Birth

Omega

Chemical Wedding

The Tower

Book Of Thel

Gates Of Urizen

Trumpets Of Jericho

Navigate The Seas Of The Sun

So, what is everyone else's thoughts on his solo material?

In a real Maiden mood now . The tour can't start soon enough 1022.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 7 2012, 02:39 PM)
i'm passing on it. saw it back in 89. tongue.gif

It was 88 laugh.gif

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jun 7 2012, 02:49 PM)
Has the full setlist been confirmed yet?

We prob won't know until after the first show, june 23