Geddy Lee / Eddie Van Halen

tripdad

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Dec 28 2010, 06:42 AM)
QUOTE (Duck @ Dec 26 2010, 01:11 PM)
- Eddie wrote a song called the "Pleasure Dome."  Listen to it.  It is a homage to Rush's Xanadu and there is a riff taken almost directly from the Rush material -- not to mention the subject matter.

Uh........no.

You do realize that both songs are rip-offs of the poem "Kubla Khan," by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, right?

Uh....no? Have you bothered to listen to the VH tune? It opens up with a tone and a riff that are clearly influenced by some of the music Rush wrote in Xanadu.

This isn't just my observation, mmmkay?

Do some Googling and look around a bit before you "Um...no, blah blah..."

Here is just one link on the VH tune:

"The opening riff of "Pleasure Dome" is highly similar, and most likely an homage, to a prominent guitar line in the Rush song "Xanadu," which is about the fabled "pleasure dome" of Mongol/Chinese emperor Kublai Khan. Coincidentally, Rush signed to Atlantic Records, a sister label to Van Halen's then-label Warner Bros. Records in 1989, and Van Halen would later be represented by Rush's long-time manager Ray Danniels."

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 27 2010, 08:38 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Dec 27 2010, 10:25 PM)
I don't believe this happened. But even if it did, it's water under the bridge. All I know is Rush has proven how professional they are through out the years. VH is not even close!!

biggrin.gif

yes, but what exactly does it mean to act "professionally" as a rock star? They're not doctors or lawyers lol

It's called being professional in what they do!! Regardless of how one makes a living! wink.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Dec 25 2010, 07:17 AM)
was over rated. Are you kidding me?

No, Eddie IS over-rated. Like Jimi Hendrix, and Jimmy Paige.
The only thing Eddie ever did that was worthwile, was Eruption. Even that was blegh.

[/quote]
It is spelled Page. Come on man! smile.gif

And he is not overrated. Nor is Hendrix. Van Halen is a fabulous guitarist no doubt.

Exactly - If you're gonna dis on Pagey at least spell his name right.

But I do gotta jump into the EVH is overrated camp.

QUOTE (tripdad @ Dec 24 2010, 07:23 PM)

The story continued that after the show Eddie saw Geddy in a bar and sucker punched him for the delay. Supposedly even breaking his nose.

how dare someone breaks Geddy Lee's nose. that thing has to be magic or something. Eddie's lucky that Geddy's nose didn't get all ninja on his ass ph34r.gif

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 25 2010, 06:04 AM)
No, Eddie IS over-rated. Like Jimi Hendrix, and Jimmy Paige.
The only thing Eddie ever did that was worthwile, was Eruption. Even that was blegh.

facepalm.gif

sad.gif

no.gif

eh.gif

wacko.gif

unsure.gif

dazed025.gif

facepalm.gif

http://www.prepresspilgrim.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/picard-facepalm.jpg

QUOTE (jkt2112 @ Jan 4 2011, 11:00 PM)
The most amazing thing I have taken from this thread is that DLR actually is credited with writing a book???

I would be surprised if he ever read a book!!! biggrin.gif

Why?

DLR is one smart cookie.

I definitely remember reading a book in the 80's ( not sure which one but it was from the VH side)

There was a passage where Geddy went to get in backstage at a VH gig

but was turned away by the security people because they

didn't recognise him......or something like that.

It sounded embarrassing for Geddy whatever way the story went.

There does seem to be some kind of history there...but a fight in a bar ?!

Surely not?

QUOTE (Duck @ Dec 26 2010, 12:11 PM)
- Eddie wrote a song called the "Pleasure Dome."  Listen to it.  It is a homage to Rush's Xanadu and there is a riff taken almost directly from the Rush material -- not to mention the subject matter.

very cool! I had no idea about this.

something cool I noticed in this youtube clip of pleasure dome. scroll down the list of related videos... the bottom one on the page! smile.gif

I'm also seeing a couple versions of this tune with drum solos... I guess you could sorta call that a Rush tribute too in a way tongue.gif

Edited by MMCXII

Back in the day I was a HUGE VH fan. Before Sammy thankyou. I find it funny that there was any comparison between Peart and AVH at all. Seriously? That's about as close a comparison as Eric Johnson and Laurie Berkner. Not only are they not in the same ballpark, they're not even in the same galaxy.

As for the dislike between the two bands, does anyone really think that these two bands would be best buddies? Seriously? VH was literally fueled by Jack Daniels and cocaine while, even from the mouth of Gene Simmons, Rush were pretty boring on the road.

EVH broke a lot of ground in the guitar world. Is he all hype? I don't think so, but I think there are far better guys out there (Johnson and Rhodes being tops on my list). I don't think Eddie ever grasped the concept of staying within the melody and trying to play a solo that fit a song. He would just seemingly shred for 20 seconds in every song then go back to the melody where if you listen to Rhodes' solo on a song like Flying High Again, he tears it up but stays within the song. Same thing can be said for Alex on Freewill. Totally tears it up but it's within the song. 2.gif

QUOTE (MarKo @ Jan 5 2011, 08:13 PM)
There does seem to be some kind of history there...but a fight in a bar ?!
Surely not?

I cannot imagine Geddy getting into a bar brawl. That would be some sight.

And stop calling me Shirley!!

Does anyone know what it means when a guitar player "feels" what he's playing? Does this make sense? Does anyone hear something a little different when Alex plays a particular chord?

EVH is all chops and fast and technically proficient. Alex Lifeson is all about feel and emotion in his playing. Such a huge difference.