What was the last truly great album?

Tick

QUOTE (Todem @ Feb 21 2011, 10:22 AM)
At Rushgoober,

I did not want to quote 6 blocks of replies. But to answer your question about post 80's Rush being able to draw in fans. My then new girlfriend (now my wife of 12 years) loved Test For Echo. We met after that album was released and I took her to that tour after dating for only 2 months (front row in front of Geddy wow!). Well after our first 2 dates the important questions of music (to me musical taste tells me almost everything about people) came to light and I asked her about Rush.....first comment was, yeah I love that song on the radio Test for Echo, they sound like a great band. She was 21 at the time and had never been exposed to Rush. Needless to say she did not have a clue it was the same band that played Tom Sawyer and TSOR ( which after playing her she said oh yeah I have heard these songs before). She still adores Test for Echo as one of her top 5 Rush albums (not mine) and proves that even their newer stuff was drawing in another generation of fans.

I have met people that swear by Roll the Bones and Counterparts as the albums that hooked them.

Rush just has that power. When your good....your good.

Agreed.

There is no question that each era of Rush was its own success. I know people my age who did not embrace the Rush progressive albums of the 70's but became diehard fans in the 80's and are still big fans today.

Other fans like Pags did not take notice of the band much until Roll The Bones was released.

Every decade is part of the legacy of Rush. The legacy did not end at some point and they lived off that success to this day.

If you believe that you are delusional.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember if I even answered this question. But, for me, "Hold Your Fire" was the last truly great album. It's my favorite and it was the last time I was truly a die hard Rush fanatic accumulating any and all magazine articles I could find on the band.

Once Presto came out, and I do like that album, it seemed from then on they could just not top HYF. Roll the Bones I like as well, but I lost interest in Rush until about the time Geddy released his solo album and Vapor Trails came out. With Snakes and Arrows, I lost interest again and I still am in that boat.

Re Tick: I was just poking fun at you to see if you'd notice. ;3

That's a very amusing 'shop, I'll admit.

Re Albums Discussion: It took me a long time to get used to some of the early music with (pretty much) screeching vocals. I was exposed to MP before 2112, so several times I would go back and forth with the disbelief that the same band did both "Tom Sawyer" and "2112". (Vocally, at least.) After listening to Hemispheres (at the time I only knew "La Villa", which I loved!) I thought to give the first few albums a shot again. Glad I did.

I was a big fan of the synth era right away, though. "Territories" was one of my faves even before I knew much of anything about Rush. "Red Barchetta" was an early favourite, too.

I like most of what Rush does. Even their clunkers are way better than most other bands good stuff. That said, the last album in my opinion that was stellar start to finish with no filler was Moving Pictures. I think the albums from the 80's were all really strong, but suffered alot from the shiny over-production.

I listened to the demos from Power Windows the other day and thought how much better it would have been if they kept the keys to a minimum (like in the demos). The material is very strong, it was the production that kills some of the songs for me. Same with Hold Your Fire. Great material, too much sheen. After that is when the 2-3 filler songs started appearing IMO. If they would cut those 2-3 songs off of the albums starting from Presto/RTB, some of those albums would be alot stronger. YMMV.

QUOTE (Todem @ Feb 21 2011, 06:22 AM)
At Rushgoober,

I did not want to quote 6 blocks of replies. But to answer your question about post 80's Rush being able to draw in fans. My then new girlfriend (now my wife of 12 years) loved Test For Echo. We met after that album was released and I took her to that tour after dating for only 2 months (front row in front of Geddy wow!). Well after our first 2 dates the important questions of music (to me musical taste tells me almost everything about people) came to light and I asked her about Rush.....first comment was, yeah I love that song on the radio Test for Echo, they sound like a great band. She was 21 at the time and had never been exposed to Rush. Needless to say she did not have a clue it was the same band that played Tom Sawyer and TSOR ( which after playing her she said oh yeah I have heard these songs before). She still adores Test for Echo as one of her top 5 Rush albums (not mine) and proves that even their newer stuff was drawing in another generation of fans.

I have met people that swear by Roll the Bones and Counterparts as the albums that hooked them.

Rush just has that power. When your good....your good.

My ex-wife preferred their later stuff, especially T4E because she liked Ged singing in a lower range as opposed to the higher vocals of the early songs.

I really can't say... I like Snakes and Arrows when I listen to it, but I usually skip most of the tracks due to the religious content (I wish he realized that many of his fans are religious and especially lately, he's been bashing us).

Musically though, it's a solid album.

Still, my most recent "great" album would have to be Counterparts *GASP*. I think that one is really solid and all the music is just beautiful. The lyrics are... odd, but it's a nice change of pace.

I know some will disagree violently but I would say Vapor Trails. I think a lot of people just gave up listening to it because of the sound which is a shame. If you listen to the quality and power of the lyrics and the way they fit with most of the songs, it is truly superb.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Feb 22 2011, 05:22 PM)
This is all moot because the last truly great album was "Who's Next" and anything anyone else has ever attempted after that was CRAP!

Wrong. There has never been good music, just music that doesn't suck as much as most music.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 23 2011, 01:25 AM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Feb 22 2011, 05:22 PM)
This is all moot because the last truly great album was "Who's Next" and anything anyone else has ever attempted after that was CRAP!

Wrong. There has never been good music, just music that doesn't suck as much as most music.

What the hell are you guys talking about? Please fill me in? atickhum.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 21 2011, 10:11 AM)
I can't remember if I even answered this question. But, for me, "Hold Your Fire" was the last truly great album ...

I was thinking along the same lines. I love "Hold Your Fire", too ... and that would be my entry.

As for all the "Vapor Trails" discussion, I concur with the minority of people who like it. I will listen to VT and Test For Echo alot before even considering listening to Counterparts. Counterparts, to me, is their least pleasing studio work (along with Feedback, which was the one studio album I never even cared to own).

Archived