What was the last truly great album?

Tick

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Dec 24 2010, 02:36 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Dec 24 2010, 02:13 PM)
Snakes And Arrows.
Honestly, it's a great album.

Yeah, I'll go with this.

I'll have to retract this claim because.. Well..

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 24 2010, 06:40 PM)
Half of Snakes and Arrows is crap and you all know it so please stop. It was a decent album, but certainly not great. Fact. atickhum.gif

Recent Rush albums have a few great songs but then there's half that are just songs.. Makes me wonder if with albums like PoW and GuP they cut out 3 or 4 songs to keep them pure confused13.gif

Then, from HYF on we get undeniable killer filler.

So with that said, GUP was probably their last truly great album, every song is worth listening to everytime.. Also by that definition, their truly great (flawless) albums are:

AFTK

GUP

looking at Itunes, all of my rush songs are rated from a scale of 1 to 5.. It also tallys up the votes and gives an overall out of 5 rating for the whole album. Here's what I have:

debut - 2/5

FBN - 4/5

CoS - 5/5

2112 - 4/5

AFTK - 5/5

Hemi - 5/5

PeW - 4/5

MP - 5/5

Sig - 5/5

GUP - 5/5

PoW - 4/5

HYF - 4/5

Presto - 4/5

RTB - 3/5

CP through S&A - 4/5

I can faithfully argue that Hemispheres is not a flawless album yes.gif

Cygnus x-1 Book II could have been much better, and shorter. It's a good song with some awesome playing and singing, but I'm not going to lie - it can be tedious.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm glad things like this are a matter of opinion because in all honesty the more I listen to their newer stuff; Vapor Trails, S&A the more I like it, even over some of the older stuff. The music they are writing now is just another step in how this bands journey has developed. Simply writing it off because it's not Permanent Waves like is ridiculous. Rush has always been and will remain to be a dynamic force that is ever changing. Do you really think three guys that musically talented could play the same song structure forever without getting bored? Neil Peart by admission didn't start liking his own music until they made Moving Pictures. They've all gotten a little less cynical about their early material in recent years but even Geddy will say he thinks they've written some of their best stuff in the last few albums. Personally I find it hard to disagree with that; Earthshine, Armor & Sword and BU2B are easily three of my top 25 fav Rush songs.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jan 31 2011, 04:31 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 30 2011, 09:28 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 30 2011, 12:26 PM)
Definitely Moving Pictures. They have released some very good albums since but MP was the last one you could reasonably describe as great.

When all is said and done, this is probably the truth.

If I understand you two correctly, then MP was probably one of their only truly great albums.

Fans of any band are very generous, and hardly objective, in grading or ranking albums. I really think you need to consider the appeal of an album to non-fans or casual fans in any assessment of what is truly "great".

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 30 2011, 12:28 PM)
Definitely Moving Pictures. They have released some very good albums since but MP was the last one you could reasonably describe as great.

I think Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows were all GREAT albums.....All after MP....

While Hold and Presto were a little soft....and Roll and Test and Vapor were a a little busy....both are still GREAT in my opinion.

To answer the post.....

More recently......and the latest great....would be Counterparts.

Their last truly great album was Power Windows IMO. It was the last album before the dreaded 'filler tracks' would make an appearance, and instead of 11-13 similar songs, there were 8 (or fewer) strong, unique songs.

That being said, there's moments in every album since PoW that I absolutely LOVE, but PoW was them at their peak.

Yeah, they had plenty of "very good" albums Signals,GUP,PoW..

Right after last truly "Great" album Moving Pictures.

Hit and Miss after PoW.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 31 2011, 07:59 AM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jan 31 2011, 04:31 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 30 2011, 09:28 AM)

If I understand you two correctly, then MP was probably one of their only truly great albums.

Fans of any band are very generous, and hardly objective, in grading or ranking albums. I really think you need to consider the appeal of an album to non-fans or casual fans in any assessment of what is truly "great".

If we're talking about the public yes.

I just think this thread has gone from the last great album to the last perfect album unsure.gif

QUOTE (Mission-Man 67 @ Feb 17 2011, 02:41 PM)
(drags the subject to the surface)

For a lot of us their last great album was Snakes and Arrows. I mean let's face it, every album they put out is great in its own way. At the same time I dont think there is a stinker in the whole bunch.

not even roll the bones or presto? huh.gif

The last great album, that was unreleased at an undisclosed time in the 80s, and is the obsession of every Rushiac worth his or her salt, is of course the mighty "Tickmeister General" album featuring numerous guest performances from Ticky "The Tick" Ticketarr Tickmeister himself on vocals, marimba, and Glockenspiel and that infamous line dancing duel with Neil!

Amazing stuff!!

1022.gif

Hold Your Fire.

For me anyway. Something about that album not only musically but lyrically.

Presto was too thin as far as the recording went, and lyrically it just too Neil.

RTB I think was just a bunch of random songs they tossed together and released. There's no connection.

CP was just weird. It just wasn't Rush.

T4E I actually like. With the exception of maybe 'Time and Motion' and 'Dog Years', I think it was pretty solid.

I always wonder what they would've done had the "Dark Years" not happend. Would we have gotten an album like VT? Or something more like T4E.

(Now, this is just my opinon. And obviously, every album has one or two tunes that I like. But speaking about the albums as wholes, just what I think)

S&A may be the best album since the 80s. There really isn't a bad song on it, for me. Except maybe 'The Larger Bowl' and 'Good News First'.

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Feb 17 2011, 09:45 PM)
QUOTE (ytserush @ Feb 11 2011, 08:48 PM)
Snakes And Arrows.

Don't take it personally.

I love Snakes and Arrows...from the first listen, straight through today...A great, great record!

It still kicks my ass to this day too.

It just amazes me with its unfettered awesomeness.

Archived