What was the last truly great album?

Tick

I feel as if I'm the only person who thinks every Rush album is great. (including the two new songs)

Rush: A great rocking 70's album with promising musicians and catchy songs.

FBN: A harder rocking 70's album with a monster drummer and several prog influences.

CoS: An underrated and overshadowed but crucial progressive rock/metal album. Contains two brilliantly crafted epics and three hard-rocking songs.

2112: Doesn't need a reason.

AFtK: Brilliant guitar works and harmonies, and Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 are absolutely brilliant and masterpieces of prog.

Hemispheres: Doesn't need a reason.

PeW: Doesn't need a reason.

MP: Doesn't need a reason.

Signals: Songs many could relate to at the time and even now; brilliant combination of progressive rock with synthesizers.

P/G: Some touching songs with intense musicianship and masterful use of synthesizers.

PoW: Same as P/G, but with a different atmosphere; this theme deals more with human interactions in society.

HyF: Making synths sound melodic with brilliant drumming and basslines.

Presto: The Pass and Available Light are reason enough, really. If not, this exemplifies the return of GUITAR.

RtB: Dreamline and Bravado are reason enough. The funkiness present in the album is definitely worth listening to, and songs like RtB and GoaC are just essential for prog rockers; this is a completely unique style.

CP: A unique blend of grunge/alternative and prog.

TfE: Continuing the sounds present in CP, but now with masterful drumming. Resist is also powerful enough on its own, as is Test For Echo and Driven.

VT: The return after hiatus; a metal/grunge progressive combination.

S&A: An interesting blend of folk with vague country elements and a whole bunch of metal and progressive rock.

And I listen to A LOT OF MUSIC. Not just Rush.

I think that every Rush album belongs in the top 2% of every album in existence.

There, I said it.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Dec 31 2010, 12:52 AM)
I feel as if I'm the only person who thinks every Rush album is great. (including the two new songs)

Rush: A great rocking 70's album with promising musicians and catchy songs.
FBN: A harder rocking 70's album with a monster drummer and several prog influences.
CoS: An underrated and overshadowed but crucial progressive rock/metal album. Contains two brilliantly crafted epics and three hard-rocking songs.
2112: Doesn't need a reason.
AFtK: Brilliant guitar works and harmonies, and Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 are absolutely brilliant and masterpieces of prog.
Hemispheres: Doesn't need a reason.
PeW: Doesn't need a reason.
MP: Doesn't need a reason.
Signals: Songs many could relate to at the time and even now; brilliant combination of progressive rock with synthesizers.
P/G: Some touching songs with intense musicianship and masterful use of synthesizers.
PoW: Same as P/G, but with a different atmosphere; this theme deals more with human interactions in society.
HyF: Making synths sound melodic with brilliant drumming and basslines.
Presto: The Pass and Available Light are reason enough, really. If not, this exemplifies the return of GUITAR.
RtB: Dreamline and Bravado are reason enough. The funkiness present in the album is definitely worth listening to, and songs like RtB and GoaC are just essential for prog rockers; this is a completely unique style.
CP: A unique blend of grunge/alternative and prog.
TfE: Continuing the sounds present in CP, but now with masterful drumming. Resist is also powerful enough on its own, as is Test For Echo and Driven.
VT: The return after hiatus; a metal/grunge progressive combination.
S&A: An interesting blend of folk with vague country elements and a whole bunch of metal and progressive rock.

And I listen to A LOT OF MUSIC. Not just Rush.

I think that every Rush album belongs in the top 2% of every album in existence.

There, I said it.

We have a difference in philosophy. For me, two great songs on an album is not enough to deem the album great. atickhum.gif

To each his own

Its all good!

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Dec 30 2010, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 24 2010, 04:05 PM)
Except for the production, I'd nominate Vapor Trails!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/4WAT/RUSH/vt2009.jpg

LMFAO.

I love it.

Lots of interesting opinions.... reading posts from the very first page and was quite surprised how many people posted before someone said Moving Pictures.

For me, without question, it's Moving Pictures. Since it's release, I've yet to hear any band, record any album, that is as musically and lyrically compelling as Moving Pictures.

QUOTE (Todem @ Dec 31 2010, 07:39 AM)
QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Dec 30 2010, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 24 2010, 04:05 PM)
Except for the production, I'd nominate Vapor Trails!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/4WAT/RUSH/vt2009.jpg

LMFAO.

I love it.

I do too now that I get it laugh.gif rofl3.gif

Great job on that!

I think this is interesting especially since it is all about perspective. Certainly, there are going to be varying perceptions concerning the definition of "great" as well as the perspective of the time period with which the album is released. Though it may not be a "great" album, X may be great when put next to other records that were releaseed that year...

As much as I hate to say it, for me it's probably p/g.

Hopefully, about 18 months from now, I'll be saying Clockwork Angels. If the rest is as good as what's already been released, I'm optimistic that this will be the case.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 30 2011, 12:26 PM)
Definitely Moving Pictures. They have released some very good albums since but MP was the last one you could reasonably describe as great.

When all is said and done, this is probably the truth.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jan 30 2011, 01:02 PM)
When I think of a "great" album, I think of an album that is absolutely solid from start to finish. The last time Rush did an album like that, it was called Counterparts. Granted, Speed of Love is a skip, but the whole album outside of that just kills it...

goodpost.gif

CP is one of my favorite Rush albums.

Listen, I love rush just like every other person here, but moving pictures marks the end of the Rush I really did love. The last of the epics.. It makes me sad :'(

I can stand some songs from the albums following it, and I hope that CA redeems them

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 30 2011, 09:28 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 30 2011, 12:26 PM)
Definitely Moving Pictures. They have released some very good albums since but MP was the last one you could reasonably describe as great.

When all is said and done, this is probably the truth.

If I understand you two correctly, then MP was probably one of their only truly great albums.

Archived