What was the last truly great album?

Tick

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 26 2010, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 26 2010, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 26 2010, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 26 2010, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 26 2010, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 26 2010, 03:46 PM)
I think a lot of people forget Rush is a "rock band", and a lot of the music they created in the 80s and early 90s was not "rock". Sure they wrote a few good songs, but overall that was a terrible period for them. Vapor Trails (and to a lesser extend Counterparts and T4E) was a return to their roots, and I'm glad they found their way back.

You think Snakes is an example of finding their way back??? Really??? If I'd heard any of the songs off that album when I was just getting into 2.gif I would never have listened to them again. Songs off Snakes belong on adult contemporary stations for old fogies with no taste.

I didn't say anything about Snakes, you're right it was definitely a step in the WRONG direction for them after the greatness of VT. It sounds like they may be back on track with CA though... we'll see.

if the rest of the new album is like the two songs we've heard already, i'm done. well done.

Let's hope so

i'm not expecting much after hearing the first two. it will probably be more of the same. eh.gif

to me the new tracks sound like a blend of Counterparts and VT, with better production. If that's a taste of things to come, I'm happy. Not sure what some of you are expecting.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 26 2010, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 26 2010, 02:46 PM)
I think a lot of people forget Rush is a "rock band", and a lot of the music they created in the 80s and early 90s was not "rock". Sure they wrote a few good songs, but overall that was a terrible period for them. Vapor Trails (and to a lesser extend Counterparts and T4E) was a return to their roots, and I'm glad they found their way back.

So because they used more synthesizers, it automatically means it isn't rock?

No, but when the synths are at the forefront and take away from the rest of the music, it doesn't sound like "rock" to me. Guitar, bass, and drums are the foundation that a "rock" song should be built on.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 26 2010, 04:45 PM)

No, but when the synths are at the forefront and take away from the rest of the music, it doesn't sound like "rock" to me. Guitar, bass, and drums are the foundation that a "rock" song should be built on.

You'd be hard pressed to find a rock band, of any distinction of the genre, who didn't use keyboards in the 80's. If you ask me, nobody incorporated synths into their songs better than Rush did. Sure, using the guitars to build and fill the rhythm sections of the songs gives a much harder sound, but I still think the songs with synth rocked ass, big time. yes.gif

counterparts was really good, tfe a bit of a drop off, then vapor trails, snakes and arrows, and the last two singles from clockwork were all outstanding and imo truly great. Started with the band in 1981 and think their recent work is some of their strongest and most consistent ever. i just wish it didn't take so long for them to release these days

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 26 2010, 02:45 PM)

It all depends on what's done with it. I'm assuming you really don't like progressive rock? Prog rock definitely (at least usually) has the basis of guitar, bass and drums, but there are often tons of keyboards and other sundry instrumentation as well.

I personally LOVE the period of Signals through HYF. I've bitterly missed the keyboards ever since. Now that I think about it, however, maybe it wasn't just the loss of the keyboards that caused them to lose a lot of their magic they had during the keyboard era, as they did make a lot of incredible music prior to the keyboard era. Maybe it's just that after 1987 the group could only sporadically reach the highs they reached up through HYF.

I really don't care if the music has keyboards or not. It's still all "rock" to me. I just care if it's good...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 26 2010, 06:29 PM)

It all depends on what's done with it. I'm assuming you really don't like progressive rock? Prog rock definitely (at least usually) has the basis of guitar, bass and drums, but there are often tons of keyboards and other sundry instrumentation as well.

I personally LOVE the period of Signals through HYF. I've bitterly missed the keyboards ever since. Now that I think about it, however, maybe it wasn't just the loss of the keyboards that caused them to lose a lot of their magic they had during the keyboard era, as they did make a lot of incredible music prior to the keyboard era. Maybe it's just that after 1987 the group could only sporadically reach the highs they reached up through HYF.

I really don't care if the music has keyboards or not. It's still all "rock" to me. I just care if it's good...

it's called running out of gas. tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 26 2010, 08:19 PM)

Really... how easy it is for people to sit behind their keyboards and say these guys have run out of gas, and other comments of the like. Honestly, the greatest thing you'll ever accomplish in your lifetime won't so much as pale in comparison next to something like Snakes, or T4E, or Speed of Love from CP, or You Bet Your Life from Bones.

But you all go right ahead saying they ran out of gas, and just don't have it anymore. laugh.gif okay.

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 26 2010, 08:32 PM)

Really... how easy it is for people to sit behind their keyboards and say these guys have run out of gas, and other comments of the like. Honestly, the greatest thing you'll ever accomplish in your lifetime won't so much as pale in comparison next to something like Snakes, or T4E, or Speed of Love from CP, or You Bet Your Life from Bones.

But you all go right ahead saying they ran out of gas, and just don't have it anymore. laugh.gif okay.

this is a forum right and we do get to express our opinions? imo they have but maybe they haven't compared to someone like yourself. that's the great thing about music, you might hear things differently than the next guy but it still won't change my opinion. also i'm quite happy with my accomplishments in life but who are you to say or compare myself to rush. i'm not beating my chest but i can guarantee you that i've done things or accomplished things rush hasn't or never will, and vice versa.

For me, Roll the Bones was the last album that had any real impact on me as a fan. Vapor Trails did as well, but it's all hit and miss after RTB. But I like Presto better than RTB which I consider to be part of a "package" with Presto.

Since I started this thread I want to point out that I like every album Rush has ever made. That isn't to say I think they are all great albums. There are different levels of greatness for me when I listen to the music of Rush. Of the last few records Presto is my favorite, followed by Vapor Trails, and then Counterparts. T4E was also very good. I seldom listen to Snakes or RTB, but that doesn't mean I hate them.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 26 2010, 09:33 PM)

this is a forum right and we do get to express our opinions? imo they have but maybe they haven't compared to someone like yourself. that's the great thing about music, you might hear things differently than the next guy but it still won't change my opinion. also i'm quite happy with my accomplishments in life but who are you to say or compare myself to rush. i'm not beating my chest but i can guarantee you that i've done things or accomplished things rush hasn't or never will, and vice versa.

Of course it's a forum, and you're welcome to share your opinion all you wish. And, I'm free to express my opinion out your opinion. That's how it works, see?

No one expects that everyone is going to like every single thing they've ever done. But to suggest the reason why you don't like it is their fault, is just silly to me.

Personally I can't answer Tick's original question. I like it all, so I can't say what their last great album is. But that wasn't always the case. There are several albums I never liked for years. The fact that I like them now, can only mean that I'm the one who changed. What's been recorded is set in stone for eternity. It didn't change. I did. So I'll never put the responsibility on them for making something I may not like.

Anyway, you don't have to like it all. Let's just hope we all can still kick ass in our late 50's like they do.

The last album where I really, really love the whole thing is (get your rotten tomatoes ready) Roll The Bones. That said, there are a good number of songs on all remaining albums that I'm nuts over, with Vapor Trails probably having a lower number than the others. Still, there's no Rush song or album I don't like a lot. So, I suppose my final answer should be Snakes & Arrows tongue.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Dec 27 2010, 12:01 AM)
The last album where I really, really love the whole thing is (get your rotten tomatoes ready) Roll The Bones. That said, there are a good number of songs on all remaining albums that I'm nuts over, with Vapor Trails probably having a lower number than the others. Still, there's no Rush song or album I don't like a lot. So, I suppose my final answer should be Snakes & Arrows tongue.gif

I love wheres my thing at,,,, great cruising song

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 26 2010, 08:48 PM)

Of course it's a forum, and you're welcome to share your opinion all you wish. And, I'm free to express my opinion out your opinion. That's how it works, see?

No one expects that everyone is going to like every single thing they've ever done. But to suggest the reason why you don't like it is their fault, is just silly to me.

Personally I can't answer Tick's original question. I like it all, so I can't say what their last great album is. But that wasn't always the case. There are several albums I never liked for years. The fact that I like them now, can only mean that I'm the one who changed. What's been recorded is set in stone for eternity. It didn't change. I did. So I'll never put the responsibility on them for making something I may not like.

Anyway, you don't have to like it all. Let's just hope we all can still kick ass in our late 50's like they do.

Obviously everyone's opinion is subjective, but the general consensus is that the quality of their music has gone down in the last few albums. One only need look as far as their rateyourmusic page HERE for evidence, as several hundred, or even thousands of people have voted on each album.

Of course this means absolutely nothing to you if you personally love every album or if you love their later albums as much as their more popular 1976-1984 period, but there is a valid argument based on the numbers that people in general think the quality of their music has gone down.

The whole aspect of is it their fault or our fault if we don't like it as much seems somewhat moot in that it's all subjective opinion, but our subjective opinions are important to us. Ultimately, all I can say in truth is that MY reality is that the quality of their music has dropped over the past several albums. Your reality is very different, as is each person's.

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 26 2010, 11:48 PM)

My good friend Emmett says it best when we talk Rush albums. His never judges there current work against any others. He is just merely thankful every time Rush records a new record and feels privileged to still get new Rush after all these years. He doesn't care if he is in love with every song on an album, he just loves that there is a new album. Its a great attitude and he really does have it right.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 27 2010, 06:13 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 26 2010, 08:48 PM)

Obviously everyone's opinion is subjective, but the general consensus is that the quality of their music has gone down in the last few albums. One only need look as far as their rateyourmusic page HERE for evidence, as several hundred, or even thousands of people have voted on each album.

Of course this means absolutely nothing to you if you personally love every album or if you love their later albums as much as their more popular 1976-1984 period, but there is a valid argument based on the numbers that people in general think the quality of their music has gone down.

The whole aspect of is it their fault or our fault if we don't like it as much seems somewhat moot in that it's all subjective opinion, but our subjective opinions are important to us. Ultimately, all I can say in truth is that MY reality is that the quality of their music has dropped over the past several albums. Your reality is very different, as is each person's.

You make some good points. Yet I'm not as concerned with popular vote or the 'norm' as you seem to want me to be. Never really thought you were either. How many thousands of people out there (especially off this site) are going to consider Moving Picture Rush's greatest album and Tom Sawyer Rush's greatest song? I'm not concerned on the answer, personally. That may be great for them, but not for me. Oh well. The very fact that we're Rush fans makes us somewhat of mainstream misfits to begin with. I guess within that circle of misfits, I'm a misfit too.

Yes, I agree with you about everyone's personal reality regarding music. I may come across as a bit picky by posting to someone about their choice of words. But after reading the forum and seeing so many posts where the general terminology used to express one's personal criticisms, it often seems to want to pin it on the band. It's an extremely common characteristic of how someone expresses themselves and I'm certain I've done it too. But, so what? It's not a bad thing to take exception to it once in a while. yes.gif

My favorite thing to read around here is when someone who hated something for a long time suddenly discovers they like it and their opinion changes. It's happened to me on several albums that I completely wrote off as bad, and now consider them masterpieces. That's the basis for my stance. The music didn't change. We did. That's a very cool thing. yes.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 27 2010, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 26 2010, 11:48 PM)

My good friend Emmett says it best when we talk Rush albums. His never judges there current work against any others. He is just merely thankful every time Rush records a new record and feels privileged to still get new Rush after all these years. He doesn't care if he is in love with every song on an album, he just loves that there is a new album. Its a great attitude and he really does have it right.

Perfect! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't.

I love Hold Your Fire (including Tai Shan). So what?

The last brilliant record they made was Hold Your Fire. This marked the Pinnacle of their new course they set out on starting with Signals.

Moving Pictures culminated their golden era that began with 2112.

Hold Your Fire is not liked by the pioneer Rush fans (for the most part) in fact they lost so many fans after Signals - Power Windows and this album was the final nail for a lot of former fans of the band.

I say though this may be one of the boldest records they ever produced. In BTLS Geddy spoke of Rush always trying to over reach. Well they certainly pushed the boundries of what they did with the keyboards. But the thing about Hold Your Fire that always get's me to this day is I am still in awe that Rush was able to write and record an album like this. And then go pull it off live!!!

When was the last album they tried to over reach? Yep, Hold Your Fire. It marked the last time we would see them truly trying to be innovative in how much sound they can create as trio.

They have made many great albums after. Presto which is the most overrated Rush album among us hardcore fans is a clunker among some really good albums like CP and Snakes and Arrows.

Hold Your Fire was ahead of it's time. While most bands were writing power ballads and trying to keep up with Def Leppard and Whitesnake, Rush (and Yes, along with Pink Floyd) were in full on experimentation with Keyboards, orchestration and new age/progressive sound scapes.

1987 brought us some really great albums from them in Hold Your Fire, Big Generator and A Momentry Lapse of Reason. 3 albums that older fans of the band have some sort of disain for but Gen X fans like myself embraced, and many new fans discovered these bands because of those albums.

I can only hope and pray what I heard with Caravan and BU2B is just a true taste of Rush getting back to lusher sound scapes and much more complex works. I think A Clockwork Angels has all the potential to be the next truly land mark album for a band that really has nothing to prove at all.

Snakes and Arrows is a tremendous album. And I actually think it is their very best since Hold Your Fire.

I am very pumped about C.A. I can here the boys are reaching again....and I hope they try to overreach again!!!

Archived