What was the last truly great album?

Tick

I'm gonna go with VT. Even with the bad production, it was a great album and stood true to what I love about 2.gif

Before that though, while I love a little of everything, I would have to say Power Windows.

As for the Snakes debate... i'd say it has one good song and the rest is crap. Maybe not crap compared to other contemporary rock music, but for Rush... crap.

I have my ipod or computer set to shuffle and never skip past any 2.gif unless it's anything but Far Cry, from Snakes.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last realy realy great: Signals. The last great: Power windows. The last great enough: Test For echo.

Limelight is a real rock song and with very melodic melody like many songs around that time. Its has nothing to do with pop. Its melodic in an unique "Rushway". Wich I and most of us love.

I agree that MP is the last (and only) perfect Rush album--But how many bands can say they've made a PERFECT album? Not many. Born to Run: Perfect; Number of the Beast: Perfect; Beggars Banquet: Perfect; Who's Next: Perfect; The Wall: Perfect; Moving Pictures: Perfect..etc...

I see greatness in every Rush album, even T4E which IMO fall short in so many ways. Presto cannot be GREAT with Superconductor poisoning it.

I think I'll go with Power Windows. Don't know why, it just seems right.

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Dec 26 2010, 12:36 PM)
I agree that MP is the last (and only) perfect Rush album--But how many bands can say they've made a PERFECT album? Not many. Born to Run: Perfect; Number of the Beast: Perfect; Beggars Banquet: Perfect; Who's Next: Perfect; The Wall: Perfect; Moving Pictures: Perfect..etc...

I see greatness in every Rush album, even T4E which IMO fall short in so many ways. Presto cannot be GREAT with Superconductor poisoning it.

I think I'll go with Power Windows. Don't know why, it just seems right.

True. To me, PW and MP were masterpieces, first note to last.

I originally put CP, and before that HYF, but if I'm COMPLETELY honest, I would say:

Last album that I listen to all the way through: Power Windows

Last album that I listen to all the way through on a regular basis: Grace Under Pressure

Counterparts was great, but has some weaker material, and I haven't been inspired to listen to it all the way through for quite a long time. Hold Your Fire is completely brilliant except for the last two clunkers on the end. Power Windows doesn't have any bad tracks, but it always seemed to me to be more a collection of songs than a coherent whole.

If I'm really going to say what was the last TRULY great album all the way through, I have to say Grace Under Pressure.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 26 2010, 02:27 PM)
I originally put CP, and before that HYF, but if I'm COMPLETELY honest, I would say:

Last album that I listen to all the way through: Power Windows

Last album that I listen to all the way through on a regular basis: Grace Under Pressure

Counterparts was great, but has some weaker material, and I haven't been inspired to listen to it all the way through for quite a long time. Hold Your Fire is completely brilliant except for the last two clunkers on the end. Power Windows doesn't have any bad tracks, but it always seemed to me to be more a collection of songs than a coherent whole.

If I'm really going to say what was the last TRULY great album all the way through, I have to say Grace Under Pressure.

i like those two clunkers but i'm not a fan of turn the page and force ten is just an ok song for me. over on power windows i'll pass on manhattan project.

I think a lot of people forget Rush is a "rock band", and a lot of the music they created in the 80s and early 90s was not "rock". Sure they wrote a few good songs, but overall that was a terrible period for them. Vapor Trails (and to a lesser extend Counterparts and T4E) was a return to their roots, and I'm glad they found their way back.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 26 2010, 12:46 PM)
I think a lot of people forget Rush is a "rock band", and a lot of the music they created in the 80s and early 90s was not "rock". Sure they wrote a few good songs, but overall that was a terrible period for them. Vapor Trails (and to a lesser extend Counterparts and T4E) was a return to their roots, and I'm glad they found their way back.

I don't know all of which albums you're talking about that constitute their "terrible period," but everything through HYF was great.

For me their "terrible period" was Presto through VT, with CP being a very notable exception. If you call T4E and VT them finding their way back, I wish they had stayed wherever it was they went off to.

I don't care what you call the band - "rock band" or whatever other term you had in mind during some period, I just care about great music. Most of their albums are great. A select few were not.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 26 2010, 03:46 PM)

You think Snakes is an example of finding their way back??? Really??? If I'd heard any of the songs off that album when I was just getting into 2.gif I would never have listened to them again. Songs off Snakes belong on adult contemporary stations for old fogies with no taste.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 26 2010, 03:15 PM)

You think Snakes is an example of finding their way back??? Really??? If I'd heard any of the songs off that album when I was just getting into 2.gif I would never have listened to them again. Songs off Snakes belong on adult contemporary stations for old fogies with no taste.

I didn't say anything about Snakes, you're right it was definitely a step in the WRONG direction for them after the greatness of VT. It sounds like they may be back on track with CA though... we'll see.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 26 2010, 04:21 PM)

I didn't say anything about Snakes, you're right it was definitely a step in the WRONG direction for them after the greatness of VT. It sounds like they may be back on track with CA though... we'll see.

Okay... the "found their way back" part threw me. It states as if they are still back, and though Caravan and BU2B are strong, they don't undo Snakes as of yet. The next full album had not be for the geriatric diaper crowd, or i'm done with 2.gif They will only be a fond memory of what once was.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 26 2010, 03:21 PM)

if the rest of the new album is like the two songs we've heard already, i'm done. well done.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 26 2010, 02:46 PM)

So because they used more synthesizers, it automatically means it isn't rock?

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 26 2010, 04:03 PM)

if the rest of the new album is like the two songs we've heard already, i'm done. well done.

Let's hope so

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 26 2010, 09:30 AM)
QUOTE (summer_sky @ Dec 26 2010, 06:58 AM)
the last TRULY GREAT album? ...  as in a COMPLETE ALBUM of great music?...

Pink Floyd - 'Dark Side Of The Moon'

Do you really think there's never been a complete album of great music since Dark Side???

"truly great".

yes.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 26 2010, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 26 2010, 04:03 PM)

Let's hope so

i'm not expecting much after hearing the first two. it will probably be more of the same. eh.gif

Archived