What was the last truly great album?

Tick

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 25 2010, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (Syrinx Priest @ Dec 25 2010, 04:38 PM)
(I would trash Limelight as well - IMO Ialways thought that track sucks)

boy are you gonna be embarrassed when you come down off the drugs and see what you posted. tongue.gif

Nah, no drugs or embarassment here - I have been a Rush fan since 1976 I have never liked Limelight. The first time I listend to MP, I thought it and Vital signs were the weakest tracks, and I will stand by that statement 1,000% - I think Limelight sucks, always have- always will.

Everyone has his/her opinion and I know it is big favorite of many - I just don't see it (hear it).

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Dec 25 2010, 10:00 PM)
QUOTE (Syrinx Priest @ Dec 25 2010, 06:38 PM)
Snakes and Arrows has way more than 35 minutes worth of great music.

Negative! no.gif

20 minutes.....

The rest is a bunch of fillers.

Far Cry, Workin them Angels, Armor and Sword, Faithless, The Way the Wind Blows, MMB, MalNar, Bravest Face, Good News First

Wow - that is a lot more than 20 minutes, sorry you lose, thanks for playing.

The only real track that blows on S&A is Spindrift.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Dec 25 2010, 07:55 AM)
Moving Pictures was the last truly great Rush album, I think. There's a great mix of the band's Prog sensibilities and ability to be creative within the shorter song framework. The production is great too, something that is sadly lacking on the next two studio albums.

I think we under-estimate the likes of Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Red Barchetta and Limelight because we are so familiar with them. These are truly stunning achievements and probably constitute the finest first side of an LP ever laid down on vinyl.

you are correct sir.

QUOTE (Syrinx Priest @ Dec 25 2010, 10:12 PM)

boy are you gonna be embarrassed when you come down off the drugs and see what you posted. tongue.gif

Nah, no drugs or embarassment here - I have been a Rush fan since 1976 I have never liked Limelight. The first time I listend to MP, I thought it and Vital signs were the weakest tracks, and I will stand by that statement 1,000% - I think Limelight sucks, always have- always will.

Everyone has his/her opinion and I know it is big favorite of many - I just don't see it (hear it).

Wow...so you can't hear why so many people love the song, musically and lyrically? Wow. I have never heard anyone, RUSH fan or not say a bad word about 'Limelight'. I guess that is your opinion but....wow.

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Dec 26 2010, 01:37 AM)

Wow...so you can't hear why so many people love the song, musically and lyrically? Wow. I have never heard anyone, RUSH fan or not say a bad word about 'Limelight'. I guess that is your opinion but....wow.

Well, considering how he's not even giving any reasons for not liking perhaps *the* quintessential Rush song, I think he's taking the piss out of us. Maybe he had a stomach ache or his dad was grounding him the first time he heard the song laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 25 2010, 08:07 PM)
QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Dec 25 2010, 10:00 PM)
QUOTE (Syrinx Priest @ Dec 25 2010, 06:38 PM)
Snakes and Arrows has way more than 35 minutes worth of great music.

Negative! no.gif

20 minutes.....

The rest is a bunch of fillers.

i count roughly 12 minutes worth.

I think it's got about 16 minutes of incredible music (first 3 songs), 10 minutes of great music (the instrumentals), 12 minutes of very good music (Spindrift & TWTWB), and the rest is pretty much filler.

Still, at this late point in their career, that's more than I expected. smile.gif

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Dec 26 2010, 01:58 AM)

Well, considering how he's not even giving any reasons for not liking perhaps *the* quintessential Rush song, I think he's taking the piss out of us. Maybe he had a stomach ache or his dad was grounding him the first time he heard the song laugh.gif

I knew making a statement like that would stir up a fuss, but I cannot back down from my opinion. Parents are divorced and Dad was long gone by 1980 - so no grounding going on. And it wsa 2am so that is why it has taken time to reply

Just because a song is popular does not make it good. The fact that it gets the same or probably more airplay than Tom Sawyer should tell you something.

Both TS and Limelight are way overplayed but the difference is that TS truly is a great song.

I will shamefully admit that I was a little dissapointed the first time I listened to MP. I know the band is defined by this album and it is is considered its pinnacle, but for this fan that happened a little earlier at Hemispheres. I think MP showed the direction the band was heading towards which I knew I was not going to like. Still a great album, as was Signals but the bottom drops out pretty fast from there.

For me Limelight is like the anti- Rush song, for me it really sounds like a pop song with its cheesy lyrics, hook and chorus. There were plentyof other bands at the time that I could have turned to if I wanted that kind of music.

QUOTE (Syrinx Priest @ Dec 26 2010, 08:35 AM)

I knew making a statement like that would stir up a fuss, but I cannot back down from my opinion. Parents are divorced and Dad was long gone by 1980 - so no grounding going on. And it wsa 2am so that is why it has taken time to reply

Just because a song is popular does not make it good. The fact that it gets the same or probably more airplay than Tom Sawyer should tell you something.

Both TS and Limelight are way overplayed but the difference is that TS truly is a great song.

I will shamefully admit that I was a little dissapointed the first time I listened to MP. I know the band is defined by this album and it is is considered its pinnacle, but for this fan that happened a little earlier at Hemispheres. I think MP showed the direction the band was heading towards which I knew I was not going to like. Still a great album, as was Signals but the bottom drops out pretty fast from there.

For me Limelight is like the anti- Rush song, for me it really sounds like a pop song with its cheesy lyrics, hook and chorus. There were plentyof other bands at the time that I could have turned to if I wanted that kind of music.

Throughout your entire reply, and all of your replies preceding it, only the underlined text actually begins to detail why you don't like the song. And it "details" your "opinion" so generically that I'm sure you're still taking the piss.

This isn't a case of "stirring up a fuss", we're not shocked at your rebel attitude and amazed by your unique viewpoint on music. We, or at least I, am asking you to explain your convictions and you're doing nothing of the sort. Therefore, trolling.

Someone doesn't like a song. They explain the reasons, even giving more of a backdrop to reasons leading up to it. That's sufficient for an opinion.

Pursuing a line of thought that rails against someone's valid opinion....now *that* sounds more like pissing into the wind...lol

Rush is a band, not a religion. Followers/fans can healthily dissent, no need to get all medieval, ya know.

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Dec 26 2010, 06:58 AM)
QUOTE (Syrinx Priest @ Dec 26 2010, 08:35 AM)

Throughout your entire reply, and all of your replies preceding it, only the underlined text actually begins to detail why you don't like the song. And it "details" your "opinion" so generically that I'm sure you're still taking the piss.

This isn't a case of "stirring up a fuss", we're not shocked at your rebel attitude and amazed by your unique viewpoint on music. We, or at least I, am asking you to explain your convictions and you're doing nothing of the sort. Therefore, trolling.

He seems to genuinely dislike the song. He might be delusional ( wink.gif unsure.gif ), but he's not trolling.

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 25 2010, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Dec 24 2010, 11:28 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Dec 24 2010, 09:40 PM)
Half of Snakes and Arrows is crap and you all know it so please stop. It was a decent album, but certainly not great. Fact. atickhum.gif

Fact? Where can I read of this fact? On Wikipedia?

If you read my post, then...you read it.

I am more powerful than any Wikipedia could ever hope to be!

Merry Christmas to all!http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/th_tickmas1.gif

TICKopedia.

smile.gif

Archived