What was the last truly great album?

Tick

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 24 2010, 03:18 PM)
What album do you consider to be the last truly great Rush album? Please don't even say Snakes And Arrows.

For me its Presto! I freaking love that album! atickhum.gif music.gif

Sorry to dissapoint you but it is without a doubt Snakes and Arrows. Oh I get it, is it because we cannot include it because they don't do albums anymore in the post vinyl age?

S&A is probably a top 5 Rush album of all time - top to bottom it is great

Before that it has to be Signals.

Of the albums after Signals before S & A, I would rank Presto as #1 or 2 but it is far from a "great" album.

Moving Pictures.

I think VP and S&A are great improvements after all of the albums after Power Windows, but I certainly can't convince myself that anything done post '81 could be considered a great album (good, yes, but not great).

My prediction:

After RUSH puts 'Clockwork Angels' out, some will say its the best ever some will say it sucks.

Great prediction right?? Well here is my actual prediction:

There will be thread after thread on this forum titled "Gave 'Snakes and Arrows' another listen...and it's great" And "I never liked 'Snakes and Arrows' but now...I Love it!"

Bold prediction I know, but watch.

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Dec 24 2010, 06:32 PM)
My prediction:

After RUSH puts 'Clockwork Angels' out, some will say its the best ever some will say it sucks.

Great prediction right?? Well here is my actual prediction:

There will be thread after thread on this forum titled "Gave 'Snakes and Arrows' another listen...and it's great" And "I never liked 'Snakes and Arrows' but now...I Love it!"

My prediction as well.

I can say I liked S&A before everyone else smile.gif

It is absolutely brilliant. As are every one of Rush's albums. And yes, I like other music and many other bands. But Rush has simply been putting out quality music since they started.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Dec 24 2010, 06:43 PM)
QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Dec 24 2010, 06:32 PM)
My prediction:

Great prediction right??  Well here is my actual prediction:

There will be thread after thread on this forum titled "Gave 'Snakes and Arrows' another listen...and it's great"  And "I never liked 'Snakes and Arrows' but now...I Love it!"

My prediction as well.

I can say I liked S&A before everyone else smile.gif

It is absolutely brilliant. As are every one of Rush's albums. And yes, I like other music and many other bands. But Rush has simply been putting out quality music since they started.

trink39.gif

I couldn't agree more. Obviously, everyone has there own opinion on music and what is great. So I am not saying everyone has to love every RUSH album or think they are all great. But for me, I "truly" love every RUSH album. To me, they all have something amazing that can be considered great. But again, that is just my opinion.

And put me down as a "Snakes and Arrows" lover now, as I have been.

As much as I really liked their Atlantic era (1989-2011/12?) albums, Counterparts was the best out of all of them, so I'll have to go with that one as their last truly great album. I love the drive and arrangement of it just like Neil said. Probably their most recent album that I find myself listening as a whole from start to finish. Vapor Trails and S&A are really close though with the remaining Atlantic albums, Presto, RTB, and TFE not too far behind those as well.

Vapor Trails!

I guess I'm in the minority but I think Test For Echo is overall a better album than Counterparts. Basically because the weaker tracks of TFE (Color of Right, Resist) are better than Counterparts' weakest (Cold Fire, Speed of Love, Nobody's Hero).

Half of Snakes and Arrows is crap and you all know it so please stop. It was a decent album, but certainly not great. Fact. atickhum.gif

the definitive answer to this question is Vapor Trails, because it was the return of Rush after their 20 year "experimental" stage. The Rush discography should go Signals - Vapor Trails. After Vapor Trails, I'm still waiting for the next great album. Hopefully CA won't disappoint.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 24 2010, 10:42 PM)
the definitive answer to this question is Vapor Trails, because it was the return of Rush after their 20 year "experimental" stage. The Rush discography should go Signals - Vapor Trails. After Vapor Trails, I'm still waiting for the next great album. Hopefully CA won't disappoint.

s & a was pretty much a bomber and i'm not holding my breath with this next one. wacko.gif

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Dec 24 2010, 06:24 PM)
Moving Pictures.

I certainly can't convince myself that anything done post '81 could be considered a great album (good, yes, but not great).

wow, we definitely seem to be in the minority here.

For me, the last truly phenominal album would be MP, but I think Signals and P/G are great albums. But they aint on the same playing field as Moving Pictures and the ones before it.

Archived