What was the last truly great album?

Tick

What album do you consider to be the last truly great Rush album? Please don't even say Snakes And Arrows.

For me its Presto! I freaking love that album! atickhum.gif music.gif

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Counterparts.

(Except for the production, I'd nominate Vapor Trails as well).

For me it's Counterparts, though a few more closer listens to Vapor Trails might make it the last truly great album. I don't know, though; as much as I find myself liking VT over the past few weeks, CP is just such a great record.

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 24 2010, 05:05 PM)
Counterparts.

(Except for the production, I'd nominate Vapor Trails as well).

Good one on the Vapor Trails point, Mara.

Counterparts, fo sho.

Oddly, VT doesn't sound half bad now that I have some new earbuds. The quality is very listenable, no grating distortion, can hear the separation of musical parts instead of musical mush.

Still, the songs (and production) on CP are just so much better. It's a pleasure to listen to that album.

Everything since is a chore to get through the whole album in one listening...

Vapor Trails.

Before that, there are parts of Counterparts that are truly great, but the album as a whole is still lacking for me. Prior to VT, the most recent album which works for me from start to finish is GUP.

Speaking of VT, I listened to it from start to finish a couple of weeks ago and the poor production seemed worse that ever. I can't play it at the volume I'd like. It's just painful to listen to at higher volume.

Hold Your Fire IMO.

Even then, the rot had startred to set in, and the last two songs are clunkers, but the rest of the album is so good that they can be overlooked.

After that, presto is half a great album, then it nosedived after that, with a partial recovery for T4E.

Since then, I haven't exactly been blown away, and it is really a matter of searching for the odd gem rather than the rich vein of diamonds that went before.

Archived