Newb Intro from Durango Colorado

Trapper50cal

Okay, a little intro...

I was introduced on a full scale to RUSH in aprox 1990 by a group of friends acquired at college that for all intent and purpose, was a RUSH cover band.

I took to RUSH like the proverbial duck to water. I imagine there are considerably more knowledgable RUSH fans, especially here. Fans who

are ardent and who feel RUSH can do no wrong.

It's obvious that Alex, Geddy and Neil are musicians of the highest order.

Neil, to my mind, is the Godfather of Modern Rock drumming & percussion.

That being said, (I'm sure I'll take heat on this) if 10 was a fan that felt all things RUSH are amazing and that the new stuff is just as good as the old, and one being a fan that only likes Tom Sawyer and a couple other tunes...

I am a 7.

I feel like the stuff after Presto slipped, got mushy, tried to address too young of an audience, feels less "hungry", went astray...whatever.

Flame Away....

Welcome! I too had a friend in the late 80's/early 90's who made sure I had plenty of at least the better-known Rush on hand. After his failure to include me in a trip to a RTB tour show (even though I'd asked) and parting to go off to college, I lost track of Rush and only caught back up when they played in town last summer. Now I'm trying to undo the damage of being out of the loop for so long!

Hope you have fun here and hope to see you around!

Hmm, I could argue against your Presto comment, but I'll spare you my rant. It's not very well-developed anyways. To each Rush fan his/her own! :3 It's just good to see another person around. You're welcome here whether you like one album or all of them.

I wouldn't worry about flamers. Some drama here and there, but I've rarely seen people be overtly rude to each other. So enjoy yourself here, browse the threads, and all that jazz. Don't put yourself down, though! I'd say we're pretty friendly here.

Hi Trapper! Welcome!

Durango you say? My son is a big rail fan, and to him, the Durango Silverton is the Holy Grail. ahh, maybe someday!

Just so you know, we dont flame here. We agree to disagree for the most part.

And we'll get you to at least an 8.5 in no time.

Enjoy!

Hey, your opinion of the Rush album post-Presto isn't nearly as bad as those who hate everything post-MP, or won't go near a song with keys smile.gif I'm just not entirely sure you gave Counterparts a good enough listen! wink.gif

Oh, and welcome!

My wife (who works at the High School) had a summer job serving drinks on the DSNGRR "Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad just this last summer...if he's a railhead he will absolutely love it. It's really cool...some of the most beautiful country there is.

Thanks guys

I have just known some real staunch 2.gif supporters that feel it's necessary to back the more recent stuff because they are still touring...

and I admit a bit of crumudgeonism. It feels like 2.gif wants to stay relevant to a particular (high school and barely post) age bracket and I kind of wanted them to cater to their "hayday" fan.

I'm down with the synth heavy stuff (Signals, GUP, HYF) and I'm down with the heavier stuff, I mean I even like Geddy's couple attempts at songwriting ( Bydor and Trees )

I have listened to counterparts a bit, when it comes up on Pandora, it usually makes it about 20 or 30 seconds before getting the thumbs down.

I just don't care for the lyrics or (to my estimation) the less challenging nature of the post Presto stuff. I am guilty of not giving it much time to sink in, there's just so much stuff prior to Presto to listen to that absolutely makes the hair on my arms stand up, that I don't bother. Stuck in my ways I guess.

Thanks for the warm welcome...

On a side note, I'm taking the guitar back up, anybody have good suggestions on web-based play along tutorials?

QUOTE (Trapper50cal @ Dec 20 2010, 11:52 PM)
My wife (who works at the High School) had a summer job serving drinks on the DSNGRR "Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad just this last summer...if he's a railhead he will absolutely love it. It's really cool...some of the most beautiful country there is.

How very cool! He's a complete rail head. That sounds like a neat gig

So far we've just been able to travel to some East coast railroads since that's where we live. My brother keeps telling me "You cant get there from here!" Meaning once we fly into Colorado, it's still quite a trip from the nearest airport. I'll get him there somehow!

QUOTE (Trapper50cal @ Dec 21 2010, 12:05 AM)
Thanks guys

I have just known some real staunch 2.gif supporters that feel it's necessary to back the more recent stuff because they are still touring...

and I admit a bit of crumudgeonism. It feels like 2.gif wants to stay relevant to a particular (high school and barely post) age bracket and I kind of wanted them to cater to their "hayday" fan.

I'm down with the synth heavy stuff (Signals, GUP, HYF) and I'm down with the heavier stuff, I mean I even like Geddy's couple attempts at songwriting ( Bydor and Trees )

I have listened to counterparts a bit, when it comes up on Pandora, it usually makes it about 20 or 30 seconds before getting the thumbs down.

I just don't care for the lyrics or (to my estimation) the less challenging nature of the post Presto stuff. I am guilty of not giving it much time to sink in, there's just so much stuff prior to Presto to listen to that absolutely makes the hair on my arms stand up, that I don't bother. Stuck in my ways I guess.

Thanks for the warm welcome...

On a side note, I'm taking the guitar back up, anybody have good suggestions on web-based play along tutorials?

Just so you know, we have a resident curmudgeon...His name is Fridge. I doubt you could reach his level. laugh.gif

And, since we're new friends, I wont get all nuts, wacko.gif but I believe you are incorrect in your assumption of RUSH and what status they feel they need to keep.

They are, until recently, pretty much off the radar. I dont think they much cared with what group they were popular. They are progressive, and therefore change with the times.

I'm die hard RUSH fan, and there is some of the more modern stuff I can do without (Vapor Trails) and some of the older stuff I dont listen to much anymore (debut album) doesnt make me any less a fan. Most RUSH music takes time to really dig. I only just this year "rediscovered" Counterparts, and it now sits firmly at the top for me.

So yeah, hang out, enjoy, put your feet up. It's all good.

welcome aboard, matey.

Seems you and I are in accord with the post Presto music. Although I might say post Roll the Bones. That album and Presto are sister albums in my book, although I do prefer Presto. But I love "Heresy" on RTB.

I've been a fan since the Moving Pictures/Signals era when I discovered them on this little thing known as MTV. Yeah, MTV, when it still included the "M".

I can deal with Counterparts once in a great while, but that album and Test for Echo never impressed me. Although, I do love Vapor Trails, but they sank again with Snakes and Arrows.

Fave albums for me are "Hold Your Fire" and "Signals".

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 21 2010, 07:16 AM)

So far we've just been able to travel to some East coast railroads since that's where we live. My brother keeps telling me "You cant get there from here!" Meaning once we fly into Colorado, it's still quite a trip from the nearest airport. I'll get him there somehow!

We have an airport, it's just crazy expensive to fly into...closest big one is ABQ, NM which is 3 hours away.

QUOTE (Trapper50cal @ Dec 21 2010, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 21 2010, 07:16 AM)

We have an airport, it's just crazy expensive to fly into...closest big one is ABQ, NM which is 3 hours away.

I'll start saving now!

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 21 2010, 07:22 AM)

And, since we're new friends, I wont get all nuts, wacko.gif but I believe you are incorrect in your assumption of RUSH and what status they feel they need to keep.

They are, until recently, pretty much off the radar. I dont think they much cared with what group they were popular. They are progressive, and therefore change with the times.

I certainly won't argue that my feelings are assumptions, I guess what I'm identifying is that the songs seem "young" in content. I can see them not really having to cater to a specific demographic...they're RUSH. And yes they are progressive....progressive and Canadian. Now, I won't go into Canada bashing because quite frankly, I love Canada...went to Ontario for some pike fishing just north of Sudbury. Everyone is super nice...

But maybe what I'm identifying is a perceivable lack of "edge". The newer stuff is a little "holistic" sounding.

I know, I know beathorse.gif I just show up and it seems like I'm picking a fight...not the case. Just trying to express myself correctly.

bekloppt.gif

Welcome!

I'm one of those "I like it all on its own merits" people. But I seldom see much real argument about it. Everyone likes what they like and everyone else deals with that. 2.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Dec 21 2010, 05:39 PM)
bekloppt.gif

Welcome!

I'm one of those "I like it all on its own merits" people. But I seldom see much real argument about it. Everyone likes what they like and everyone else deals with that. 2.gif

Best policy really...

QUOTE (Trapper50cal @ Dec 21 2010, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 21 2010, 07:22 AM)

And, since we're new friends, I wont get all nuts,  wacko.gif but I believe you are incorrect in your assumption of RUSH and what status they feel they need to keep.

They are, until recently, pretty much off the radar.  I dont think they much cared with what group they were popular.  They are progressive, and therefore change with the times.

I certainly won't argue that my feelings are assumptions, I guess what I'm identifying is that the songs seem "young" in content. I can see them not really having to cater to a specific demographic...they're RUSH. And yes they are progressive....progressive and Canadian. Now, I won't go into Canada bashing because quite frankly, I love Canada...went to Ontario for some pike fishing just north of Sudbury. Everyone is super nice...

But maybe what I'm identifying is a perceivable lack of "edge". The newer stuff is a little "holistic" sounding.

I know, I know beathorse.gif I just show up and it seems like I'm picking a fight...not the case. Just trying to express myself correctly.

You did so eloquently.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Dec 21 2010, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (Trapper50cal @ Dec 20 2010, 06:39 PM)
Flame Away....

Welcome noob!!! BTW, Kings are beating the Avalanche 1-0! biggrin.gif

A Kings Fan from LV, NV?

Oh man, and it didn't get any better, what a way to end a hot streak...5/nil

Ouch...

Rob Blake was the bomb...

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 20 2010, 11:26 PM)
My son is a big rail fan, and to him, the Durango Silverton is the Holy Grail. ahh, maybe someday!

It's a great train ride. We took it back in 1997...got stopped twice because of small avalanches ahead of us on the tracks. And the views are amazing!

bekloppt.gif Welcome, and just let me say that I love Durango. By far, it was my favorite stop in Colorado. We spent a week & a half in Pegosa Springs and took a side jaunt to Durango...I didn't want to go back to Pegosa.

And don't feel bad. I consider myself to be a pretty solid fan, having listened to Rush since I was a young'un (I'm a little over 35 now). But I will admit that there are some albums that, while praised by a great number of fans, I'm...well, meh. confused13.gif I listen to those albums when I'm in the mood to hear the full catalog, but otherwise I just skip to those that suit my fancy at that moment.

Archived