Guitar players!

CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (mortkort @ Aug 4 2006, 08:31 PM)
i bet you are happy about your gear pete! i would love to have you gear!

Paying for it is a bitch though!

Rush tribute bands don't make a lot of money!

QUOTE (Fendercrazy @ Sep 29 2004, 01:45 PM)
Hello!  New guy here.  Here's my current guitar line up.  It changes often though.  I have a mid-80's Jackson strat also but it's getting re-finished at the moment. 
Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul
http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/02522a2b2726fb0a03bb19f2d8d9524d/1031_p15916.jpg
1989 Custom Shop Fender HLE Strat
http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/02522a2b2726fb0a03bb19f2d8d9524d/1032_p15919.jpg
92 American Standard Tele
http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/02522a2b2726fb0a03bb19f2d8d9524d/1032_p15918.jpg
Fender 50's RI Strat
http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/02522a2b2726fb0a03bb19f2d8d9524d/1032_p15920.jpg

Greg

Nice guitars.

http://static.flickr.com/62/212096709_78cca2f3bb.jpg

My main guitars, amp, and effects processors. A Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster, a Taylor 614CE Steel String Acoustic, a Brian Moore I9.13 Elec/Piezo/Synth, a Digitech GNX4 Multi-Effects Processor/Recorder, a Roland GR-33 Guitar Synthesizer, Shure SM58 and SM81 mics.

QUOTE (mortkort @ Aug 4 2006, 09:41 PM)
yeah, that Hughes and Kettner amp is really expensive i bet.

i think that being in a Rush tribute bands should be a real work, that would be awesome!!

i was looking at getting one instead of the B-52 I own.

The Alex Lifeson H&K amp specs:

100W

3 preamps plus 2 channels for 6 footswitchable channels

Dual gain controls and 3-band EQ for each preamp

Resonance for preamp one

Global effects level, presence, and volume controls

Footswitch with amp/channel switching and effects loop

Effects loop operates parallel, serial, or -10dB

Includes footswitch

29"W x 13-1/3"H x 10"D

48-1/2 lbs.

List: $3,669.00

Sale Price: $3,279.99

it was a bit too expensive for my Wendy's Pay rate.

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Aug 13 2006, 08:54 AM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Aug 4 2006, 09:41 PM)
yeah, that Hughes and Kettner amp is really expensive i bet.

i think that being in a Rush tribute bands should be a real work, that would be awesome!!

i was looking at getting one instead of the B-52 I own.

The Alex Lifeson H&K amp specs:

100W

3 preamps plus 2 channels for 6 footswitchable channels

Dual gain controls and 3-band EQ for each preamp

Resonance for preamp one

Global effects level, presence, and volume controls

Footswitch with amp/channel switching and effects loop

Effects loop operates parallel, serial, or -10dB

Includes footswitch

29"W x 13-1/3"H x 10"D

48-1/2 lbs.

List: $3,669.00

Sale Price: $3,279.99

it was a bit too expensive for my Wendy's Pay rate.

No doubt they are expensive. The zenTera lists and sells for the same price but I found mine used but in mint condition for $1399.

Still expensive but when you consider it has 17 amp models and high quality effects built in it starts to look like a bargain.

I've owned a lot of amps (Fender, Marshall, Roland, Randall, Peavey, Vox) and Hughes & Kettner's amps are far & away the best amp I ever owned.

Jeez, that sounded like an ad I saw once with some Canadian guy in it.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pete2112/zentera.jpg

http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/user.php?mode=1&id=1

I have had my eyes on a Triamp for awhile, but I think I'll probably eventually get one of the Marshall Plexi Re-issues to go along with my Fender Twin.

QUOTE (darrenhigh @ Aug 13 2006, 10:43 AM)
I have had my eyes on a Triamp for awhile, but I think I'll probably eventually get one of the Marshall Plexi Re-issues to go along with my Fender Twin.

Those Plexi Reissues don't have master volumes, do they? Keep that in mind when you're trying to get that Marshall crunch at practice levels. You'd have to get a power attenuator to soak up that extra volume.

i got some new stuff so here is the updated list:

Guitars

Epiphone SG Special- cherry red. not a very expensive guitar but i love it just the same. first one i ever played

Custom built (by me) Les Paul- mahogany body, cherry neck. goldenage pick ups, gold hardware, its simply beautiful. and for the first one i've built, it plays pretty darn good too.

Amps

Delta 40w

Fender FM 212R 100w- newest addition to my collection.

Effects

ZOOM 505II multi-effects pedal

Behringer Blues Overdrive

Darelectro Pepperoni Phaser

Here's my rig:

Guitars:

1-Fender 2001 Mexican Standard Stratocaster in Arctic White with Maple neck. I just replaced the pickups with Fender Hot Noiseless and also replaced the standard white 3-ply pickguard with a tortoise shell pickguard. It looks SICK! (I'll post pictures later)

1-2003 Takamine EG531SC Black Acoustic with a cutaway and I'm pretty sure there's a Fishman inside.

1-1986 Fender American Precision Bass in 3-Color sunburst with a maple neck. Plays BEAUTIFULLY.

Amps:

1-Ibanez Tone Blaster TB15R Guitar Amplifier

1-Gorilla GB30 Bass Amp

Effects:

1-Zoom 606 Guitar Effects Unit (now broken, sadly)

1-Zoom G2.1u Guitar Effects Unit

I also use a Kyser Capo, various Fender and Jim Dunlop Picks (I used to like Extra Heavy, but now I'm moving more towards Medium), a Planet Waves metal slide, and a monster, prolink, and Planet Waves guitar cables.

Strings:

-Elecric: I used to use Fender Super Bullets, Original Bullets, and Stainless (my favorite) Bullets gauge .009-.042. I recently switched to Ernie Ball Super Slinky .009-.042 gauge strings. However, my guitar was JUST in the shop, so I currently have GHS .010-.046 gauge strings. I'm liking the GHS Boomers, and the .010s are nice, but I'm used to .009s. So I may switch off between Ernie Balls and GHS Boomers.

-Acoustic: I use D'Adarrio EXP coated .012 gauge strings, and just switched over to Elixir .012 gauge strings.

-Bass: I have no fecking clue, I have the shop do it because when it gets restrung it also gets a checkup on neck adjustments and action raising/lowering, along with a bunch of other stuff.

QUOTE (darrenhigh @ Aug 13 2006, 09:43 AM)

Oh no. Tri Amp........ heart.gif

I have got to have one of those. My ultimate goal would of course be the Alex Lifeson model. Try convincing your wife that you need a $3500.00 amp to play rush songs in the spare room.

Still....I can dream.

QUOTE (mortkort @ Aug 21 2006, 05:10 PM)
can i get the tone Alex has on lets say late 70s early 80s whit the Hughes & Kettner Matrix amp? what is best, combo or stack?

The old saying is that tone is in the fingers and to a large extent, it is true. Unless you can think and play like someone you'll never sound just like them.

That said, you can get close. I haven't played through a Matrix (I will when I see one though, it's a cool amp) but from the clips I've heard I think it's possible. You need a medium gain setting, strong mids, and a good chorus and delay and that will get you in the ball park. The Matrix seems to have the basics. The rest is up to you.

I strongly suggest finding one and trying it out first but I know not many places carry H&K amps. You could order one from Musicians Friend or another online store and have 45 days to return it. You'd be out the shipping (maybe) but it's a way to try one out if all else fails.

As for the combo/half stack question, that depends on where you're playing. If it's in big clubs the half stack may be the way to go but if you aren't doing any live playing in big venues then the combo would be the ticket.

There is a back issue of Guitar world where they tested the Matrix and have the test on a CD. It sounds pretty good on there. see if you can find the issue. It was sometime around spring I think.

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Aug 21 2006, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Aug 21 2006, 05:10 PM)
can i get the tone Alex has on lets say late 70s early 80s whit the Hughes & Kettner Matrix amp? what is best, combo or stack?

The old saying is that tone is in the fingers and to a large extent, it is true. Unless you can think and play like someone you'll never sound just like them.

That said, you can get close. I haven't played through a Matrix (I will when I see one though, it's a cool amp) but from the clips I've heard I think it's possible. You need a medium gain setting, strong mids, and a good chorus and delay and that will get you in the ball park. The Matrix seems to have the basics. The rest is up to you.

I strongly suggest finding one and trying it out first but I know not many places carry H&K amps. You could order one from Musicians Friend or another online store and have 45 days to return it. You'd be out the shipping (maybe) but it's a way to try one out if all else fails.

As for the combo/half stack question, that depends on where you're playing. If it's in big clubs the half stack may be the way to go but if you aren't doing any live playing in big venues then the combo would be the ticket.

There is a back issue of Guitar world where they tested the Matrix and have the test on a CD. It sounds pretty good on there. see if you can find the issue. It was sometime around spring I think.

thanks, i shall check it out. but do musicians friend ship worldwide?

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Aug 22 2006, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Aug 22 2006, 09:54 AM)
thanks, i shall check it out. but do musicians friend ship worldwide?

Yikes, I never noticed you were in Norway!!

Hehe, I think I am going to sell my Fender FM212R and buy the Hughes and Kettner Matrix combo, but i want my Fender to. I don't know what to do sad.gif

I'm relatively new to guitar playing and since I don't have a large cashflow my rig is very small, but I'm hoping it will grow over the next year. I've just bought a new computer/external soundcard/mic for recording stuff with so it's a start.

Tony Iommi Signature model Epiphone SG (Love the tone, the pickups are great)

Marshall amp (forget the model right now)

V-amp 2 multi effects box.

See, I said it was small tongue.gif

Oh, and a cheap strat rip off, but it just inhabits a wardrobe.

I've been playing for just about three years now, and here's my stock:

Axes:

+ mid-90s (?) Epiphone Emperor Regent sunburst (great mellow jazz tone)

+ 2004 Fender Strat American black (your run-o'-th'-mill rock box)

+ 4 other rather dusty classical/folk guitars (i'm willing to sell if anyone's interested)

Amps:

+ Polytone Mini-Brute II (100W - again, wonderful mellow jazz tone, horrible for rock)

+ Fender Bullet 150 (15W - a pathetic excuse for an amp, but provides some heavy crunch...beware of feedback)

FX:

Real men don't use effects tongue.gif j/k.

My first post here:

Guitars/basses:

Gib LP Custom Black Beauty

Gib LP Standard, Wine Red

Gib Explorer Pro, Trans Black

Gib SG, Black

Epi Goth Explorer w/EMGs

Epi Goth LP (POS)

Dean Hardtail, Blue burst

MIM Floyd Strat, black w/rosewood board

MIM Strat (POS), black w/rosewood board

Agile Floyd LP, black

Warmoth 335 (POS), black

Rick 4003, white

Ibanez SD GR, wine red

Amps:

Cauble Super 50/100

Triaxis + 395

Marshall 4140

Pod

Vamp Pro

Bass Pod

Cabs:

2 Mesa Standard Recto 4x12

2 home-made 1x12

POS = Piece of shite

QUOTE (Xabiche @ Sep 14 2006, 09:46 PM)
Gib LP Custom Black Beauty
Gib LP Standard, Wine Red
Gib Explorer Pro, Trans Black
Gib SG, Black
Epi Goth Explorer w/EMGs
Epi Goth LP (POS)
Dean Hardtail, Blue burst
MIM Floyd Strat, black w/rosewood board
MIM Strat (POS), black w/rosewood board
Agile Floyd LP, black
Warmoth 335 (POS), black
Rick 4003, white
Ibanez SD GR, wine red

Wow...you're one lucky guy! That's an overabundance of guitars if I've ever seen one!

-------

Anyway, I was actually posting to brag about my recent acquisition: an Epiphone Les Paul! Yayers! The tone is simply delicious. It packs a punch for rock and blues but can still croon when I'm in the mood for the mellower tones of jazz. It's a kick. trink39.gif

My Guitars:

Ibanez GIO

Ibanez RG321 mh(mahogany)

My Amp:

Ibanez 50r Tone Blaster

My Pedals:

Digitech Digiverb

Digitech Metal Master

Digitech RP80 Processor.

i need to change out my RG321 pickups though. what are some really good pickups for a sound that is similar to Alex Lifeson's tone?

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ Oct 5 2006, 12:50 AM)
My Guitars:
Ibanez GIO
Ibanez RG321 mh(mahogany)

My Amp:
Ibanez 50r Tone Blaster

My Pedals:
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Processor.

i need to change out my RG321 pickups though. what are some really good pickups for a sound that is similar to Alex Lifeson's tone?

yoru not gonna find pickups to get his tone. it really depends on the amp. i mean i play a Firebird VII and a B-52 at-100 and i get a close tone, but youll never get the same tone. sorry man

bekloppt.gif Hi folks. Tomorrow I'm going to the music store here where I live and order the H&K Edition Blue. I can't wait to get it! And when I have my money again I will get the TC Electronics G-Major. Do you guitar players think I will get a like sound that Alex has?

Ya'll take care now!