Guitar players!

CygnusX-1Bk2

^^^ Nice score! What is your early assessment?

It is as well put together as my sunburst 335. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't as good. Believe it or not, I haven't A/B'ed them to see how much alike they sound. It should be pretty close, they have the same pickups (for now.) I was really pleased with how well the intonation stayed after I put the Bigsby on it. I know that change doesn't really impact the bridge, but I still read where people would say their guitar wouldn't stay in tune after installing one. When I had the strings off, I took the opportunity to put some lemon oil one the fingerboard, and just rubbing that in seemed to polish the frets a bit, and they feel really good. I'll be doing a string change on the burst here soon, so I will repeat the lemon oil process there, as well.

Over all, I'm really happy with both of these guitars. Even the stock pickups are really good, especially for the price of the guitar. My intention was always swap them out in the red one, and depending on how much better it sounds, then consider swapping the ones in the burst, but probably not the same ones, unless I really love the results. For the red one, I'm leaning hard towards Lollar Low Wind Imperials. If that works out, I may try Suhr SSV's for the burst.

Its almost 2 years since I committed to playing guitar.

My first guitar is a classic black Strat, and my other is a sunburst Bullet Telecaster which I got over 10 months ago. On the same day I got my strat my friend gave me one of his amps, a VHT Redline 20R. Simple beginner amp, but has held up for all 5 years it's been in use, he had no problems with it and neither have I. A few months ago I got a Marshall MG30GFX 30W 1x10 Combo Amp, along with Arion SMM-1 Metal Master pedal my uncle gave me.

• Like 1

My squeezes:

Guitars:

1959 Strat

1963 Strat (refin)

1966 Custom Telecaster

1972 LP Special

1970 LP with Bigsby and P90s

1974 Thinline Telecaster

1959 ES330

Peter Green R9 Les Paul

Takamine GN93 Acoustic

Amps:

1963 2 x 10 Vibroverb (362 out of 626 made)

1965 Deluxe Reverb

1973 Hiwatt SA212 50w

Lazy J40 Tweed

Yamaha RA100 Leslie

• Like 1

My squeezes:

Guitars:

1959 Strat

1963 Strat (refin)

1966 Custom Telecaster

1972 LP Special

1974 Thinline Telecaster

1959 ES330

Peter Green R9 Les Paul

Takamine GN93 Acoustic

Amps:

1965 Deluxe Reverb

1973 Hiwatt SA212 50w

Lazy J40 Tweed

Yamaha RA100 Leslie

Let's talk about some of your pedals!

I see Kingsley, KoT, a Klon KTR (is that what it's called?,) some Thorpy, Pete Cornish, and a few other things I can't quite identify.

Oh, and enough Tube Drivers to make Eric Johnson envious. :lol:

My squeezes:

Guitars:

1959 Strat

1963 Strat (refin)

1966 Custom Telecaster

1972 LP Special

1974 Thinline Telecaster

1959 ES330

Peter Green R9 Les Paul

Takamine GN93 Acoustic

Amps:

1965 Deluxe Reverb

1973 Hiwatt SA212 50w

Lazy J40 Tweed

Yamaha RA100 Leslie

I see Kingsley, KoT, a Klon KTR (is that what it's called?,) some Thorpy, Pete Cornish, and a few other things I can't quite identify.

Hahaha OK!

Here's the chain:

1. Skrystrup Volume (one of the 6 EB modded ones he made for the Gilmour tour 2015)

2. Boss TB2W Tone Bender - I am a 'Boss' artist, so they very kindly sent me one when they came out- incredible fuzz, great for Lerxst type hammer on sustain

3. ThorpyFX Compressor

Then into the Gigrig G2:

L1: Cornish G2 Distortion (like a Rat really)

L2: BK Tube Driver 1987 Long box version- loads sweeter, less gain, more compression than the new ones.

L3: 1989 'Civil War' Muff- THE Gilmour Muff for 30 yrs now

L4: King Of Tone

L5: Klon KTR

L6 Kingsley Page Tube EQ - very low gain

L7- 3 thorpy mods- Phaser Chorus Flange- all sep pedals

L8: Pete Cornish Tape Echo Sim- the best delay money can buy but basically a super modded DD2 chip inside. 3/4k if you can find one on Reverb, otherwise 4 yrs wait.

L9: ToneCzar Echoczar/Angel Baby Chorus- a magnificent analogue MN3005 delay/chorus- like a DMM in stereo

L10: Neo Ventilator Leslie or TC1210 Spatial Expander in stereo out to...

Amp A and Amp B.

The pic with all the Tube Drivers- mine is a very sweet Tube Driver. BK Butler made loads of slightly different types- we were testing a load to see what's best as a mate of mine wants to clone them- he'd modded some of them to 24v (from mains) and we were trying to test.

• Like 1

My squeezes:

Guitars:

1959 Strat

1963 Strat (refin)

1966 Custom Telecaster

1972 LP Special

1974 Thinline Telecaster

1959 ES330

Peter Green R9 Les Paul

Takamine GN93 Acoustic

Amps:

1965 Deluxe Reverb

1973 Hiwatt SA212 50w

Lazy J40 Tweed

Yamaha RA100 Leslie

Hahaha OK!

Here's the chain:

1. Skrystrup Volume (one of the 6 EB modded ones he made for the Gilmour tour 2015)

2. Boss TB2W Tone Bender - I am a 'Boss' artist, so they very kindly sent me one when they came out- incredible fuzz, great for Lerxst type hammer on sustain

3. ThorpyFX Compressor

Then into the Gigrig G2:

L1: Cornish G2 Distortion (like a Rat really)

L2: BK Tube Driver 1987 Long box version- loads sweeter, less gain, more compression than the new ones.

L3: 1989 'Civil War' Muff- THE Gilmour Muff for 30 yrs now

L4: King Of Tone

L5: Klon KTR

L6 Kingsley Page Tube EQ - very low gain

L7- 3 thorpy mods- Phaser Chorus Flange- all sep pedals

L8: Pete Cornish Tape Echo Sim- the best delay money can buy but basically a super modded DD2 chip inside. 3/4k if you can find one on Reverb, otherwise 4 yrs wait.

L9: ToneCzar Echoczar/Angel Baby Chorus- a magnificent analogue MN3005 delay/chorus- like a DMM in stereo

L10: Neo Ventilator Leslie or TC1210 Spatial Expander in stereo out to...

Amp A and Amp B.

The pic with all the Tube Drivers- mine is a very sweet Tube Driver. BK Butler made loads of slightly different types- we were testing a load to see what's best as a mate of mine wants to clone them- he'd modded some of them to 24v (from mains) and we were trying to test.

I used to have a version one of the Neo Ventilator. I still regret trading it, but you probably know how people can get when it comes to moving gear. You get a little irrational sometimes and trade away or sell something that you come to regret losing sooner or later.

I used to have a version one of the Neo Ventilator. I still regret trading it, but you probably know how people can get when it comes to moving gear. You get a little irrational sometimes and trade away or sell something that you come to regret losing sooner or later.

Absolutely the best Leslie sim going. The full fat big one is the best- stereo in, which is crucial if you wanna do the panning thing. You need to tame the preamp though as it can add another layer of gain.

I generally dislike Strymon but the Lex is excellent too, but the Neo has more depth.

Has Alex ever used Leslies?

• Like 1

Absolutely the best Leslie sim going. The full fat big one is the best- stereo in, which is crucial if you wanna do the panning thing. You need to tame the preamp though as it can add another layer of gain.

I generally dislike Strymon but the Lex is excellent too, but the Neo has more depth.

I can't think of any Rush songs where he has used one. He was much more of a Phaser, Flanger, Chorus guy.

I have several Strymon pedals, pretty much all delay: Volante, DIG, Brigadier, and Deco. The Deco can do some overdrive on the left side, and zero thru flanging, chorus, and short delay on the right side. It is great for slap back echo. I also have a T-Rex Replicator Tape Delay (I bought the hype that real tape somehow was better than DSP tape emulators. And I used to have a Strymon El Capistan that I traded after getting the Replicator. I also wish I had that one back.) But the Replicator sounds great. It's just huge and impractical. I got it for a really good deal a couple of years ago. I've already tried to sell it once at my favorite guitar shop. They wouldn't take it because they had one before and it sat with them for a long time. I may try to sell it myself, though. It's just been sitting, especially since I got the Volante.

• Like 2

I can't think of any Rush songs where he has used one. He was much more of a Phaser, Flanger, Chorus guy.

I have several Strymon pedals, pretty much all delay: Volante, DIG, Brigadier, and Deco. The Deco can do some overdrive on the left side, and zero thru flanging, chorus, and short delay on the right side. It is great for slap back echo. I also have a T-Rex Replicator Tape Delay (I bought the hype that real tape somehow was better than DSP tape emulators. And I used to have a Strymon El Capistan that I traded after getting the Replicator. I also wish I had that one back.) But the Replicator sounds great. It's just huge and impractical. I got it for a really good deal a couple of years ago. I've already tried to sell it once at my favorite guitar shop. They wouldn't take it because they had one before and it sat with them for a long time. I may try to sell it myself, though. It's just been sitting, especially since I got the Volante.

I tried the Volante v my EchoCzar- the EZ isn't quite as flexible but it smashed it on tone. I love all TRex Stuff- everything they make is awesome. The Moller Drive is a masterpiece. The Deco is one Strymon I really like- very different and lo-fi.

Question; does Alex ONLY use amp drive ?

• Like 1

I tried the Volante v my EchoCzar- the EZ isn't quite as flexible but it smashed it on tone. I love all TRex Stuff- everything they make is awesome. The Moller Drive is a masterpiece. The Deco is one Strymon I really like- very different and lo-fi.

I believe he used an MXR Distortion pedal back in the 70's. I am unaware of any overdrive pedals he may have used since then. He had a bevy of amps he used for different purposes. One fun fact is that he used Mesa Boogie Mark V's during his last tours for he clean tones. I had a Mark V for several years, and loved its clean channel. I guess he wasn't too much into the Mark IIC+ or Mark IV high gain sounds in the Mark V. I get that they aren't for everyone.

I believe he used an MXR Distortion pedal back in the 70's. I am unaware of any overdrive pedals he may have used since then. He had a bevy of amps he used for different purposes. One fun fact is that he used Mesa Boogie Mark V's during his last tours for he clean tones. I had a Mark V for several years, and loved its clean channel. I guess he wasn't too much into the Mark IIC+ or Mark IV high gain sounds in the Mark V. I get that they aren't for everyone.

Yeah, thought so. I can pretty much get there with the Cornish G2 into a clean amp, but suspect a Soldano or Friedman might be the win!

I finally found a compressor that I am really happy with.  Origin Effects compressors have been on my radar for a couple of years now.  The Cali76 is like their flagship compressor, and then they put two circuits into the same box to get the dual studio compressor effect like Lowell George from Little Feat used on his slide playing.  And then a year ago, or so, Origin released the Cali76 Stacked Edition, which is a nice hybrid of the Cali76 and the SlideRig.  Ihave had several compressors including the original Empress Compressor, the Xotic SP Compressor (twice) and the Strymon Compadre (for about a week.)  None of those really did it for me, although they weren't bad at all, but I just never used them, and they always ended up as trade bait.  Except for the Compadre, I returned that because I knew right away I wasn't going to use it like I hoped.  But then my favorite guitar shop had this, and I had to give it a try.

Compression is probably the hardest effect to describe how it sounds.  And a lot of times it can be as much about how it feels under your fingers as it is how it sounds through your amp.  Everything gets evened out.  Everything sounds more clear and full.  I noticed the chords I play being more lively and sparkly.  

The best description I've heard about what compression does is: It does for your clean sound what an overdrive does for your dirty sound.  So essentially it is an overdrive for your clean tone.

Q54YvIB.jpg

Back last year sometime, I kept seeing this pedal on the EHX website and other places.  I listened to the online demos and thought it was really cool.  But it was chronically out of stock.  A couple of weeks ago, I saw someone on Reddit post it as a NPD (New Pedal Day) so I searched and found that Guitar Center had them in stock.  I ordered one, and have had it for about a week and a half now.

The pedal is essentially a reverse tape simulator.  It's main four controls are Volume (sets the output volume) Blend (blends in your dry signal, fully clockwise is 100% wet signal,) Attack (sets the quickness of the attack volume filter, counterclockwise there is no delay on what is played, turning up from there creates a volume swell effect) and Decay (sets the quickness of how fast the volume of the note is cut off, fully clockwise and the note will ring until it dies on the instrument, turning back from there and the note will cut off once it reaches a declining volume threshold.)  The way I have it set in this picture is for reverse tape effect: The note will fade in and then abruptly cut off because I have the Decay set to 9 o'clock.  If the Decay was set to about 5 o'clock, the note (or chord) would swell up like using a volume pedal. This gives the guitar a real violin type quality.  Pair it up with some delay and a nice reverb, and I can play around for an hour and not be aware of the time passing.

7UOOzon.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maverick said:

I finally found a compressor that I am really happy with.  Origin Effects compressors have been on my radar for a couple of years now.  The Cali76 is like their flagship compressor, and then they put two circuits into the same box to get the dual studio compressor effect like Lowell George from Little Feat used on his slide playing.  And then a year ago, or so, Origin released the Cali76 Stacked Edition, which is a nice hybrid of the Cali76 and the SlideRig.  Ihave had several compressors including the original Empress Compressor, the Xotic SP Compressor (twice) and the Strymon Compadre (for about a week.)  None of those really did it for me, although they weren't bad at all, but I just never used them, and they always ended up as trade bait.  Except for the Compadre, I returned that because I knew right away I wasn't going to use it like I hoped.  But then my favorite guitar shop had this, and I had to give it a try.

Compression is probably the hardest effect to describe how it sounds.  And a lot of times it can be as much about how it feels under your fingers as it is how it sounds through your amp.  Everything gets evened out.  Everything sounds more clear and full.  I noticed the chords I play being more lively and sparkly.  

The best description I've heard about what compression does is: It does for your clean sound what an overdrive does for your dirty sound.  So essentially it is an overdrive for your clean tone.

Q54YvIB.jpg

Nice. Seems it's based on a 1176 compressor. Really love how you explain how the sound feels to you :) seriously. It makes so much sense. I usually put an EQ after the compressor. Get a lovely rich sound with the 2 in tangent. Push and cut after the compressor has levelled things out a bit. It almost makes me sound half decent .:laugh:

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, condemned2bfree said:

Nice. Seems it's based on a 1176 compressor. Really love how you explain how the sound feels to you :) seriously. It makes so much sense. I usually put an EQ after the compressor. Get a lovely rich sound with the 2 in tangent. Push and cut after the compressor has levelled things out a bit. It almost makes me sound half decent .:laugh:

You should design a combination Compressor and EQ pedal and call it the Talent Booster.  :laugh:

Edited by Maverick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, condemned2bfree said:

You know, I have a Mesa Boogie 5 band EQ pedal. I really should put that in line with the compressor and see what it yields. I'll try it with my Lonestars (in the effects loop, after everything else) and with my Deluxe Reverb, which doesn't have a loop, so it will likely be last before the amp. 

• Like 1

NPD - Origin Effects RevivalDRIVE Hot Rod Edition.

A couple of weeks back I posted about the Origin Effects Cali76 Stacked Edition compressor.  I was so impressed by the pedal that I decided to give one of their overdrive pedals a look.  The RevivalDRIVE has been on my radar for a few years, and then the Hot Rod Edition came out, so I thought I'd look into both.  Only 500 were made of the Hot Rod full edition.  They still make a single sided Hot Rod, but it doesn't have nearly the number of controls of the full.  This is true of the standard RevivalDRIVE, as well.  Once I decided I was in on getting one, I decided to go with the Hot Rod first, since they are only available on the used market, and there were some available in mint condition at a reasonable price.

These pedals aren't regular overdrive pedals, and they aren't regular "amp in a box" pedals, either.  These pedals recreate, in compact form, the entire signal path of a tube amp circuit, minus the tubes.  But everything from the input transformed to the tube or solid state rectifier stage.  The idea is to have a pedal that can recreate the signal characteristics of vintage valve amps that didn't have a master volume.  In the Hot Rod one, it is modded, souped up valve amps with high gain.

After playing with the pedal for a couple of days, this is the closest I have heard a pedal coming to making my amp sound like a completely different amp.  So far, I have only gone into the input of my Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special.  But the Marshall setting sounds like a 70's higher gain Marshall, and the Train Wreck Liverpool setting sounds like a souped up, very lively Vox AC30.  There's also sample setting for a modded Princeton Reverb, which was the first Mesa Boogie Mark I, and a setting for a higher gain Orange amp.  Right now, I have one channel doing the Marshall and the other doing the Train Wreck, and it's just too much fun.  I really need to experiment more with the Volume (gain) knobs for each. 

But yeah, this is an amazing piece of gear, and I'm looking forward to getting the standard RevivalDRIVE at some point.

Zyk2V0L.jpg

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

But yeah, this is an amazing piece of gear, and I'm looking forward to getting the standard RevivalDRIVE at some point.

What would the standard Revival give you that the  Hot Rod doesn't? And that Hod Rod is some piece of work.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

What would the standard Revival give you that the  Hot Rod doesn't? And that Hod Rod is some piece of work.

The way I envision it working is that the Hot Rod is a higher gain version of the standard.  The standard can be set to sound like a 1962 Blues Breaker, a JTM 45, a 100 Watt Plexi, a Vox AC30, or a Fender Tweed Twin or BF Twin, to name a few.  So with that range of sounds, and the Hot Rod, I could have four different amp flavors at my feet, in addition to running straight into my Lonestar Special, or what have you.

Honestly, this is all for situations that will likely never ever happen, like playing a real gig or such.  But weirder things have happened, and really, it's just a lot of fun.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Analog Cub said:

Love that finish!

It's my first Sunburst and first flame maple top (albeit just a veneer.)  This was the guitar I wanted from seeing pictures of it from the store online.  It had the best burst and edges.  There was another guitar there that had better flaming in the top that I could have been tempted to get instead.  But there was another guy there who was buying it.  I think the store did pretty good business that day.

• Like 1