Guitar players!

CygnusX-1Bk2

I'm surprised more guys don't talk about pickup height, especially when it comes to relative out put of two or more pickups.

I'm surprised more guys don't talk about pickup height, especially when it comes to relative out put of two or more pickups.

I don't know much about the science behind pickup height, but just sort of accepted the way my guitars had them set up whenever I installed new ones. Bridge humbucker is considerably closer to the strings than the neck humbucker on my axes.

Edited by BowlCity

Right, because there is less output from that area, but there is an optimum magnetic field within a certain distance. I like the idea of angling the pickup on the height plane. I have always adjusted my pickup heights. Closest is not always best. :)

Now line up all of your distortion boxes and take a picture. :P
  • Like 1

What are you playing on these days?

My arsenal currently:

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus (AA top, very pretty) in Lightburst finish. Modified: removed stock BurstBucker Pros replaced with Classic 57 Zebras in both neck and bridge, tapped for single coils and phase.

Rickenbacker 360-12 Fireglo finish

Epiphone Les Paul in honeyburst finish, nice flametop. When I met Les himself he confessed to preferring some Epiphones to Gibsons when I showed him some catalogs of both.

Epiphone Sheraton II (Natural finish)

Fender Squire Stratocaster (another well spent $200, when Squire's were decent, same color as my J Bass)

Martin D-1 acoustic

Martin SPD-16R acoustic

Washburn W 240 12 string acoustic (a bargain at $120)

Amps:

Marshall Class 5 combo

Fender Deluxe Reverb

Fender Sidekick 15 open back combo

Fender Sidekick 15R closed back, ported combo

Fender Princeton 112 combo

Electar (Epiphone) Tube 30 combo

FX:

MXR Distortion + (Original issue)

Boss Acoustic Simulator

Ibanez Multi Effects rack unit (analog compressor, phaser, overdrive, Stereo Chorus/Flanger and loop)

Cry Baby Wah (Classic)

DigiTech RP7 digital effects processor

DOD Wah/Volume

*edited for content because this is so old but somebody liked it. :)

Current Gear:

Guitars:

Fender American-made Stratocaster: Super White Finish, alder body w/maple neck, black pick-guard, Steve Vai Evolution HBs, Coil-Tap, Sperzel Locking Tuners, Graphite nut, custom-light D'addario strings, very retro and metaled-out (a custom job done by a buddy who once ran a REAL music store).

Takamine G-Series acoustic guitar: KOA back and sides, maple top, rosewood fingerboard, pearloid inlays/tuners, 11-gauge D'addario strings.

Amp:

Marshall MG 100 Series DFX: 12" Celestion speaker, 2-channel amp w/built-in chorus, delay, flanger, and reverb. Footswitch.

Korg Chromatic Tuner

Ultimate Guitar Stands

Pro Co Cables

Edited by RetroRocker

Nothing like my rig from 16 years ago, but it was between holding on to that or paying off my car... :guitar:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Movies/4a75f610-7f77-4ea8-b685-1e0bde960826_zps21341e86.jpg

"I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill."

Edited by RetroRocker

Nothing like my rig from 16 years ago, but it was between holding on to that or paying off my car... :guitar:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Movies/4a75f610-7f77-4ea8-b685-1e0bde960826_zps21341e86.jpg

"I will choose a path that's wrong, I will pay off my car."

Fixed it for you.

;)

• Like 1

Fixed it for you.

;)

Thanks for f***ing up a perfectly decent song lyric.

GO TO HELL. :fury:

Edited by RetroRocker

Fixed it for you.

;)

Thanks for f***ing up a perfectly decent song lyric.

GO TO HELL. :fury:

I'd think this was a strange response, suggesting a lack of a sense of humor, until I saw a match to another account. Anything you want to tell me?

Filthy! Your rig is so dirty. You should be ashamed. :tsk:

I try to keep it clean, but it just gets dirty right away. I can't help it!

12 dirt pedals makes that impossible! You grimy bastard!

• Like 1

That is an impressive collection!

There's no mustard yellow box in there though. I have an original MXR Distortion+ from '79-'80 that still sounds like it did way back. I may replace the caps in there though. That and my Ibanez Overdrive that's part of my multi effects unit (same circuit as the stomp box). I have no boutique stuff myself, but guitar is not my main thing. I rarely use any in line effects anymore unless I am recording somebody else.

• Like 1

By Mustard Yellow box are are referring to the MXR, or are you talking about the Boss Super Overdrive (the SD-1?) I used to have a Japanese made SD-1 that I bought in 1987. I bought it for $40 and sold it for $100. :LOL:

• Like 1

As some who doesn't use any overdrive or distortion pedals, that is one damn impressive collection of pedals.

I only have a Boss SD-1 (which sits in it's box unused). You guys are in USA are spoiled for choice with guitar pedals.

My 'overdrive' comes from cranking the Bassman channel on my (NMV) Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb.

It sounds glorious.

• Like 1

By Mustard Yellow box are are referring to the MXR, or are you talking about the Boss Super Overdrive (the SD-1?) I used to have a Japanese made SD-1 that I bought in 1987. I bought it for $40 and sold it for $100. :LOL:

MXR. I was never a BOSS guy. Although I have the Acoustic Simulator which is fun on occasion. That is more of a pee yellow.

I too favor amp distortion. And that collection is impressive.

The next thing in the chain is modulation. Whaddaya got goin' on there?

• Like 1