Guitar players!

CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Oct 6 2004, 02:14 PM)
Hi! I'm new to the board but here is me stuff. Check it out at my crappy AOL page. The only things that are not on that site are my RedBear 4x12 cabinet with celestian white backs and the Original Roland CE-1 I just picked up on ebay. I can't wait to hear that pedal and play my Epi Dot through it. AlexFinal.gif

Welcome to the Rush Forum rushfanNlv! Enjoy yourself here. bekloppt.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Oct 6 2004, 03:14 PM)
Hi! I'm new to the board but here is me stuff. Check it out at my crappy AOL page. The only things that are not on that site are my RedBear 4x12 cabinet with celestian white backs and the Original Roland CE-1 I just picked up on ebay. I can't wait to hear that pedal and play my Epi Dot through it. AlexFinal.gif

Cool pics! I used to have a big pedalboard like that, now I have a rack. I should scan those pics and post them.

play guitar,bass, and keyboards unfortunatly I had to pawn my stuff to get back to the city but will soon have it back again use to play metal and cassic rock got roland rs-9,yamaha guitar ,pearl 5 piece drumset(not in pawn) ampeg amp and orange play clubs for about 15 to 20 years. my wife sing and plays guitar and keyboards and drums she is a very talented singer and can sing anything from janis joplin to rush I love it when she sings RUSH does it very natural 2.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Oct 4 2004, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Oct 3 2004, 11:07 PM)

The lead that Brian May plays in "we will rock you" has a sound that I have never heard in my life.  AlexFinal.gif

That's Old Red through Vox amps. May's Old Red was quite innovative when he made it. Each pickup has a polarity switch. It is a very versatile guitar. Made from the mantle of his parent's fireplace.

I also heard that Linsey Buckingham gets part of his sound from using a nickle as a pick. I read this a long time ago in guitar mag, I guess it makes sense and would change the sound some. I tried it on an old guitar that I had just for the hell of it and broke a lot of strings in the process lol.

As far as I know Lindsay Buckingham doesn't use a pick at all. He is all fingers. That's how he gets those great arpeggios and melodic harmonies.

I read that Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top uses quarters for picks. Something about getting a roll of quarters on a regular basis for his pick supply. There was a cool pick centerfold in Guitar Player back in the mid 80s that had picks from most known players of the time, including Alex. There was a scarred quarter with Billy Gibbons name under it.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 7 2004, 05:25 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Oct 7 2004, 05:39 PM)
As far as I know Lindsay Buckingham doesn't use a pick at all. He is all fingers. That's how he gets those great arpeggios and melodic harmonies.

yes.gif

Hmmm well I read that somewhere a few years ago but I guess just because I read it somewhere, it doesn't make it true. confused13.gif

You know, now that I think about it he does use his fingers most of the time. What I read in guitar mag could have been talking about one certain song that he plays.

Edited by Indica

what cygnus said is true lindsey hope I spelled it right does uses his fingers to play but that doesn't mean he has never used his fingers he is a great guitar player with amazon style but he don't hold a candle to alex

I don't play much anymore, and sold most of my gear. But I held onto my '78 (I think) Tobacco Sunburst Les Paul Deluxe, my 1983 Ovation Elite (essentially an Adamas with a spruce top), and an inexpensive but absolutely beautiful sounding Yahmaha 12 string. When I was 17 (in 1984) I was sooooo stupid. The LP Deluxe was made with the mini humbuckers and I thought some Carvin M22 regular size humbuckers would sound great in there. So I routed out the LP to put in the Carvins (yea, I know. dumb dumb dumb). Still sounds sweet though.

My son is currently taking guitar lessons. He is interested but seems to be gravitating towards the bass. Every time we go into a store, he wants to try out a bass. Says he loves the sound. He loves listening to Ged's bass work. Soooo, I guess we'll get him a bass for his birthday next month.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Oct 16 2004, 11:43 AM)
My son is currently taking guitar lessons. He is interested but seems to be gravitating towards the bass. Every time we go into a store, he wants to try out a bass. Says he loves the sound. He loves listening to Ged's bass work. Soooo, I guess we'll get him a bass for his birthday next month.

That's great! The world needs more good bass players anyway! GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 16 2004, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Oct 16 2004, 11:43 AM)

That's great! The world needs more good bass players anyway! GeddyFinal.gif

Yeah, I'd love to get him a Rick 4001, but he's only 10 and that thing weighs as much as he does biggrin.gif . Since he's just starting out, I'm leaning towards a Jr. Scale Squire Bronco bass. It's a pretty decent bass for $160. If he sticks with it, and grows some, then I might pop for the Rick wink.gif .

By the way, I've been pretty much out of the music scene until my son began lessons and in a store the other day I saw an Epiphone doubleneck. Naturally, being an Epi, it is a carbon copy of the Gibson 612's and it sounded awesome. Anyone else seen these or played one? The little kid in me wants that thing soooo bad. tongue.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 7 2004, 10:00 AM)
I used to have a big pedalboard like that, now I have a rack. I should scan those pics and post them.

Ok, I finally scanned these old photos...

Here's my old pedal board, which no longer exists. The only things I still use from this are the MXR Flanger (now installed in my rack), the Cry Baby Wah and the Morley Volume pedal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/pboard.jpg

And here's my Gibson Les Paul. Love the color...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/lespaul.jpg

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 22 2004, 07:58 PM)
I used to have a big pedalboard like that, now I have a rack. I should scan those pics and post them.

Here's my old pedal board, which no longer exists. The only things I still use from this are the MXR Flanger (now installed in my rack), the Cry Baby Wah and the Morley Volume pedal.

is that a MXR Distortion+ in there? the distortion+ was the first pedal i ever bought. i thought i was sooooooooo cool biggrin.gif

Edited by Snowdog

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Oct 22 2004, 09:08 PM)

is that a MXR Distortion+ in there? the distortion+ was the first pedal i ever bought. i thought i was sooooooooo cool  biggrin.gif

Yes, indeed it is! Still the best distortion stomp box ever made.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/pboard2.jpg

That power supply ran everything on there (except the A/C-powered Flanger) -- no batteries!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 22 2004, 07:58 PM)

Wicked nice set up, man! biggrin.gif Really like the LP (...it is a sweet color wink.gif )

GUITAR:

Squire Strat-Black...looks like Ged's Fender bass, but a guitar.

(Hopefully a '57 Gibson SG Supreme in Midnight Burst for X-Mas!)

AMP:

Fender Frontman 15G

EFFECTS:

None yet!

GUITARS

-yamaha F-310 (i think) acoustic guitar...hasnt been played in weeks sad.gif

-yamaha EG 113 (or 112, not completely sure) ...its not the highest quality but it serves me well

-yamaha GA-10 amplifier...came with the guitar

-ibanez multi-effect processor, only i need a new AC adapter, the one it came with broke...

looking to get a bass for christmas 653.gif

Ancient totally unmarked nylon-strung classical that I cherish and call 'sweetheart'!!Freshman F420D Acoustic

Yamaha AES820 Electric - standard set-up

Amp - Line 6 2 x 12

Pedals - Get by with footswitchin between the built in effects on the amp. I like the KISS principle!

I play guitar. My gear includes:

Guitarification:

Cream Fender Strat with Rosewood Fingerboard

Purple Ibanez S series HSH with Floyd Rose trem

Guild D4 dreadnought acoustic

Effectification:

Digitech RP100 effects pedal

MXR distortion+

Crybaby Wah Pedal

Amplification:

Fender Hot-Rod Deluxe Tube Amp

I have no recording gear and I hope to buy a bass sometime this coming week; probably a black Squier J-Bass and a small amp.

Edited by redstar86

Just joined the forum and posted a few other replies. I thought I would post my gear inventory as way to get to know me. I am a professional musician and teach guitar, bass, piano, and voice during the day and perform live/session work at night during the week and on weekends. I take time off to breathe and thenk God for my blessings. smile.gif

Guitars:

1. 04 American Deluxe Strat with '61 reissue neck (Maple), SCN pickups, S-1 Switch, Honey Blonde

2. 97 American Deluxe Strat (Rosewood) with Texas Specials and Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Humbucker, Shoeline Gold

3. 99 American Deluxe Tele with 1st generation noisless pickups, Teal Green Transparent with cream binding.

4. 03 Les Paul Classic, stock pickups, Heritage Cherry sunburst

5. 98 taylor 614CE

6. 91 Yamaha 12-string acoustic, retired, and 3 other guitars, retired also, that I keep for sentimental reasons but never play.

Amps:

1. MesaBoogie Heartbreaker all-tube 2X12 combo, 100w; heavy-duty road case.

2. Roland KC-550 solid state 1X15 combo w/high freq driver 180w.

Pedal Board & Effects:

1. Pedal Pad pedal board with patch bay and power distro

2. BOSS: NS2|CS3|CE5|DD5|PH3|MD2|PH5

3. MesaBoogie: V-Twin Tube preamp

4. Dunlop Wah

Mics:

1. Shure SM58: vox

2. Shure SM57: @ the Mesa

Miscellaneous:

1. One tired roadie: me.

2. Two-position handle handtruck with pneumatic tires.

3. 1 Jeep Grand Cherokee to haul my tired self and warm equipment home to my

4. Wife, whom after ten years of marriage/13 years together, is just barely getting the notion that I'm a musician wink.gif

5. Audio Technica wireless that eliminated only two of the 386,574,999.32714 nanometers of cables I haul around with me. I dislike wires...

Sheesh! I should have stuck with the trombone! And then got a job in corporate America -- yeah right! Me in a real job! rofl3.gif 2.gif

Peace.

Let's see...too much stuff to talk about maybe....

Here's my first "real" guitar - an Ibanez RG560

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Jaksecret/HPIM0199.jpg

Another Ibanez, a RG320QM in quilted blue

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Jaksecret/HPIM0193.jpg

My picture down below has my Fender Splattercaster....

No pictures for the rest of my posse, which include

a PRS CE24 w/ bird inlays

an Ibanez RG3120 in flame red

a Hamer Californian in sunshine yellow w/ boomerang inlays

an Ibanez PF200 in antique white from 1978

an Ibanez Les Paul in black with three pickups from 1976

an Ibanez Les Paul in sunburst with two pickups from 1978

a Parker Fly Standard in black w/ piezo

a Yamaha AEF-10 electric/acoustic in tobacco

an Ibanez AE-10 electric/acoustic in flame maple

an Ibanez 4 string soundgear bass in red

an Ibanez 5 string soundgear bass in black

an Ibanez FPGM custom (actually a RG770 with f-hole stickers on it, hence the name - Fake Paul Gilbert Model)

a Randall Jaguar 50 watt amp

a Line 6 head with 2 Marshall 100 watt cabinets

5 Boss Pedals - Heavy Metal, Compression/Sustainer, Chorus, Delay/Pitch Shifter, Noise Surpressor

Korg Pandora px2 and px4 effects/headphone amp

an old Yamaha digital effects processor

D'addario strings on all of them

and much like Lerxst, the amps are adorned with toys!

a Bloom County Opus doll

a Pokemon Jigglypuff doll

a Speed Racer model car

and a Transformers Megatron bust

Geez, that's a lot of stuff....

Edited by Jack Secret