Stealing Deckiller's Brilliant Idea

Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (Scars @ Jan 24 2011, 12:27 AM)
QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 23 2011, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jan 23 2011, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 21 2011, 01:29 PM)
You're doing better than Deckiller lol

Correction: "I agree with your list more than Deckiller's" :-P

I don't sacrifice ranking to avoid seeming unbiased. For instance, I definitely would rather listen to most of Power Windows before most of Vapor Trails, and my list reflects that.

Correct correction: I find GBR's details behind his ranking more coherent than yours most of the time...

Are you done attacking Deckiller or what?

Listen white knight, he tried to tell me what my own opinion was and I corrected him. Go overreact to something else.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, the 5.5 ratings and such are because they're ranked in comparison to other Rush songs...not just other songs. And yes, the intro to Faithless is pretty dark. It is upbeat, but it is still dark. Pretty weird I guess...but only Rush could pull something like that off.

97.KID GLOVES

5.5/10

A dreamy delayed intro; a Lerxt classic. As a matter of fact...this song is all Lerxt's. Otherwise, I wouldn't be ranking it so high; it'd probably be in the bottom twenty. But Alex's work throughout this song is just magical, even if it sounds dated. (Earlier, someone had mentioned that I should stop criticizing songs because they sound dated...well, some songs sound dated while others have actually stood the test of time, created with dated instruments but still sounding good today. This song still sounds trapped in the eighties.)

This song is just a little too poppy and eighties like to really be Rush, but it is still intricate and it contains one of THE BEST Lerxt solos. This song is a little weird on P/G, but it does fit in. The lyrics are neat and I don't think there is a single person who doesn't like Neil's play on words here: it's cool to be so tough/it's tough to be so cool.

Alex's solo is so brilliant because it fits in very well with the upbeat theme of the lyrics. And even though it's very upbeat, there's still a touch of sadness, of the misunderstanding.

It may sound like an eighties song, but it is one of the best eighties songs that no one has heard of.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jan 25 2011, 01:33 PM)
Again, the 5.5 ratings and such are because they're ranked in comparison to other Rush songs...not just other songs. And yes, the intro to Faithless is pretty dark. It is upbeat, but it is still dark. Pretty weird I guess...but only Rush could pull something like that off.

97.KID GLOVES
5.5/10
A dreamy delayed intro; a Lerxt classic. As a matter of fact...this song is all Lerxt's. Otherwise, I wouldn't be ranking it so high; it'd probably be in the bottom twenty. But Alex's work throughout this song is just magical, even if it sounds dated. (Earlier, someone had mentioned that I should stop criticizing songs because they sound dated...well, some songs sound dated while others have actually stood the test of time, created with dated instruments but still sounding good today. This song still sounds trapped in the eighties.)

This song is just a little too poppy and eighties like to really be Rush, but it is still intricate and it contains one of THE BEST Lerxt solos. This song is a little weird on P/G, but it does fit in. The lyrics are neat and I don't think there is a single person who doesn't like Neil's play on words here: it's cool to be so tough/it's tough to be so cool.

Alex's solo is so brilliant because it fits in very well with the upbeat theme of the lyrics. And even though it's very upbeat, there's still a touch of sadness, of the misunderstanding.

It may sound like an eighties song, but it is one of the best eighties songs that no one has heard of.

Every 80s Rush song sounds like it's from the 80s.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jan 25 2011, 01:42 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jan 25 2011, 01:33 PM)

97.KID GLOVES
5.5/10

Every 80s Rush song sounds like it's from the 80s.

Yeah, but some sone astoundingly unique for 80's songs...this one sounds the most like an eighties pop song.

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jan 23 2011, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 21 2011, 01:29 PM)
You're doing better than Deckiller lol

Correction: "I agree with your list more than Deckiller's" :-P

I don't sacrifice ranking to avoid seeming unbiased. For instance, I definitely would rather listen to most of Power Windows before most of Vapor Trails, and my list reflects that.

I'm not sacrificing ranking to avoid seeming unbiased...I'm choosing songs I feel are better created even and placing them where I think they belong. Even if I don't like it as much as another. It's not that I'm afraid people are going to bash me. I came in here expecting that.

I'll be posting some more soon. I've been quite busy lately. But I will one day make up for not posting as often as I used to WITH TEN SONGS IN A ROW!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

CORRECTION!!!!!!!!!! KID GLOVES IS RANKED 96!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT 97! FAITHLESS IS 97!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

95.PRESTO

5.5/10

This is a charming song, even if it is a little inert. It's not too dynamic, but this song relies on the "magical feel" to carry it through. Geddy's vocals are great, and match Alex's persistent strumming. Although that guitar strumming sounds pretty generic. I feel Neil could be doing more with this song, but he kind of sits back.

The lyrics are "the truest words" Neil ever wrote. Again, the lyrics are charming and fit in very nicely with the music. The song truly starts shining (or should I say "radiating?") after Alex's solo, because then the band starts playing together and it really gets dynamic and just lifts you up. But then it returns to what's been played over and over earlier, and doesn't change much after that, with the exception of a few nice notes from Lerxt.

It's a really poppy song, catchy and sometimes dreamy, but it's just lacking a bit of power. It was a great treat live.

94.RED TIDE

5.75/10

I was in AWE with the piano intro the first time I heard this. I thought, "TOP TEN" rush songs for sure. But then that blasted synth came in. Of course, this is my opinion. Some like this, some don't. But I don't think it matter whether you like it or not, the synth-line is too spontaneous and just subtracts from the song's power as a whole. The piano intro is stunning and hauntingly beautiful, but the three seconds it lasts are compromised with the poppy-synth sound. I understand they wanted the synth to sound like a red alert or something...but it just didn't work. Other songs did a much better job of taking the cheesy synths and actually making them work, such as Red Sector A and Afterimage. In this song, those synths just compromise everything.

Besides that, the rest of the song is great. Geddy has overwhelming bass licks here and there. Neil is all over the place, kind of symbolizing the havoc found in the lyrics. And my god, a SMOKING Lerxt solo. Nine seconds of pure power. I forget to mention in my Face Up review that it's basically the same solo in both songs. But of course, since it's more relevant here and it was here first, the solo adds points in this case and deducts points in Face Up's case.

93.ROLL THE BONES

5.75/10

A funky song with unusual instrumentation and a whole bunch of EXPERIMENTAL surprises. It's a really neat take, and it was executed very well. Geddy's bass keeps the song moving and groovy. Alex's funky notes all over the place keep the song exciting, and complement the synth in a good way. Neil's drumming is also top notch.

The transitions in the song are masterfully done, and while Neil's drumming keep the song moving, Alex's acoustic segments and the philosophical questions in the chorus really make you think. The drumming kind of keeps you moving, and before you really have time to analyze, the funky stuff comes back in. That's class.

Then comes the polarizing and controversial part. I am a fan of this polarizing and controversial part. Kudos to them for wanting to have fun with themselves and not necessarily compromising the music. The rap fits in well, and while it definitely is odd, it is surprisingly done well. The reason why this song is not ranked higher however, is because it is simply lacking a real moving section and because the various experimental parts, while very well done, does not mean they are perfect. Let's just say songs further down this list do these things a much better way.

We won't be seeing anything from Roll The Bones for a LONG while. Next up, the first entry from one of four albums to have songs only in the top 100.

92.GRAND DESIGNS

5.75/10

Rush does pop better than anyone. Haha, just had to get that out of my biased rush-head. But seriously, the super eighties synth-line that opens the song is nice and catchy, but when the real music comes in, you're treated real nicely. Alex's upbeat notes are wonderful and fit in perfectly. The synths fill in the missing spaces, and while Neil's drumming isn't as great here as it is in other Power Windows tracks, it does convey bring out the song a lot more. THE BASS LICKS are awesome, as they are in this entire album.

Lyrically, this song is pretty powerful...again, so is the entire album. I just find this song the weakest link on the album because it relies on the synths a little more than the other songs on the album. For this reason, the song kind of suffers from that extreme eighties sound, whereas other songs on the album still sound more like Rush than eighties. And again, while other songs on the album have very memorable parts, this one doesn't change it all. The intro and the outro are the same, and everything in between is the same.

"Life in two dimensions is a mass production scheme" is a top Neil line for sure.

I encourage you Slappa Da Bass. Yours would be interesting to see. Some people will complain about to many lists, and some will be interested. I will be interested.

91.SCARS

5.75/10

The way this song builds up is magical. But that's all there is in this song. Like really. The build up. It's great. Magnificent. Not as magnificent as other build-ups, like Marathon, and another certain song that I won't be mentioning until MUCH later. But magnificent nonetheless.

First, the biting bassline and a friendly greeting from Dirk. Then Neil's African percussion stuff (which he uses in a lot of his solos). The verse starts, and it fits very nicely, especially because Neil keeps adding to the drums (he is a monster on the drums). Unfortunately, the lyrics are not as great as other Rush songs, but hey.

That bass keeps bitin' and then Alex comes in with a quick run that makes you go, "wow." He keeps playing ALL OVER THE PLACE, complimenting Neil's omnipresent and ever-growing drumming. That's all there is to this song really, it keeps building, it doesn't really go anywhere, but that's okay in this case. Really fun song with a great atmosphere.

Last entry in the second section of songs. There are 5(6) sections. To recap, they are: 155-120, 119-90, 89-60, 59-31, and the top 30, which house the top ten of course.

90.LIMBO

5.75/10

Immediately, you're shocked by those creepy noises...and then Geddy's bass just pulls you into LIMBO!!! Alex walks circles all around you, and the clock (Neil's drumming) is ticking, keeping its own sense of time while you lose your own. And then you start hearing some voices (Geddy's marvelous vocals are marvelous). And then the creepy guitar chords come in and shake you up some more. And then you get shaken up more by the bass and the synths!

It sure is fun being in Limbo. The thing is, once you get out, you forget it all...the bass-line wasn't as catchy as it was in Leave That Thing Alone or The Main Monkey Business or Malignant Narcissism, and Alex wasn't doing anything memorable either...he was just screwing with you.

But a very nice atmosphere is present in this song. It's worth returning to Limbo once in a while.

89.ONE LITTLE VICTORY

6/10

One of the best openings to an opening better. The first time I heard it, I couldn't help but gasp in awe. And then Alex's plays some heavy chords and Geddy's shredding on the bass, and then Neil resumes what he was doing earlier...but something's wrong here...why does it sound off?

This is exactly what I was thinking when I first heard it. It just sounds like static, and the vocals are excruciating. Their fun to song, but painful to listen to. The song is so well put together, but it's lacking any particularly moving moments. Emotionally moving, I should say, since the intro gets you moving physically. In a way, it is emotionally moving, to hear Neil come back with such a powerhouse of a song after his tragedies...but the song is just lacking a sweet solo, or something like that. We don't get that until later in Vapor Trails. This song could use something like that.

Besides that, this is a great Rush jam, with a memorable guitar riff and extremely memorable drumming...just a huge 2.gif of adrenaline. It would be here with one of these moments I'm describing and a more solid sound, rather than sloppy and all over the place.

88.NEW WORLD MAN

6/10

A short and sweet Rush song. It was written in a day, and by Rush standards, it shows. Nothing is wrong with it really, but nothing is really so great about it. The song keeps building up: there's the synth-line in the beginning, and then the insane bass-line, and then Alex's ska guitar and Neil's tricky drumming. The chorus is a Rush classic that is always fun to sing...

Lyrically, the song is pretty powerful, especially since it was written in one day. The constant "doing this" for the "x world man" is pretty neat. The music kind of builds up as if it were showing how hectic the life of the New World Man can be, but it keeps the upbeat nature throughout the song.

But with all this, nothing happens in the song. Almost everything stays the same, it's only building up. Rush is great at doing stuff like this, but this is not their most powerful attempt. Still, it is a great song to enjoy, but not necessarily relate to, and there are no particularly memorable moments except for the vocals.

87.FLY BY NIGHT

6/10

The intro of this song is possibly the best part. It just pulls you in completely. It probably did a better job in this back in the seventies. If you really love this song, as in it's in your top ten Rush songs, you're probably stuck in the seventies tongue.gif

This song is so sweet and short and it has a little Zeppelin flavor to it, but it does have the unique Rush sound we'd come to find in future songs similar to this one, like Lakeside Park, Lessons, and Cinderella Man. Geddy's flying all over the bass while singing like a pro, Neil's drums continue to blow your mind, and Alex is really finding himself as a guitarist.

"That other part" as Neil penned it in the lyric booklet is so mellow and chill that it just makes you happy. The lyrics are strong, though not necessarily powerful. A little autobiography for Neil. Either way, this is a fun song, and not much else. A great hard rock song that proves Rush would've been a great hard rock band if they went down that route...but there's another Rush masterpiece further down the road that proves this even more so...

Either way, this song is ranked low because it is more hard rock than it is Rush, but it is still an excellent song. And besides, it's not ranked that low...it's practically in the middle almost.

Interesting...two of Rush's poppiest tunes back to back. I don't think "Fly By Night" qualifies as hard rock per se. I like "New World Man" a lot more than you do. Everything about it is great to me: the lyrics, melody, bass line, drumming, the guitar riff after the chorus. Has a similar feel to "Digital Man" only a lot better. It was written quickly...perhaps that's what gives it its punchiness. An excellent, fun song with lots of energy...top 50 for me.

86.HOW IT IS

6.25/10

The intro immediately pulls you in; it's sweet and rather unexpected after The Stars Look Down. Geddy's vocals all throughout the song (not the words, just the vocals) fit beautifully and really add an extra layer to the music.

Lyrically, the song is both uplifting and depressing, but the music is really just uplifting. The intro is beautiful, and is repeated several times throughout, retaining that little folk vibe its got. But then the heavier part, while still uplifting, kind of ruin the feel of the song. Sure, it gets you moving, and obviously the parts of the song need to be connected in some way...but this way just doesn't work. That is my biggest problem with the song, but it's not necessarily a big one.

A great song to listen to when feeling down...sometimes, that's just how it is. And unfortunately for this song, it's lacking some components that make it truly exceptional. That's just how it is.

85.EVERYDAY GLORY

6.25/10

The intro is short and sweet, and yet uninspired...but when Alex starts playing the staccatoed (i hope that's how you spell it) notes during the verse, the song kicks it up a notch. Those notes there are some of Alex's best, kicking the butt of all those indie/folk songs similar to this one. I've always thought this song sounded like some indie song...I find it similar to something by Temper Trap for some odd reason. Therefore, I think of this song as indie rush, and all I have to say is wow.

The music fits the lyrics quite well, and again: Alex's notes kind of keep a spark of hope only to fall back down and yet get up again. It's great. Neil's drumming keeps the song moving, but Geddy's almost absent except for his decently delivered vocals. Alex's solo is incredible, and fits the song very well.

One of Neil's best lyric is in here: "though we live in trying times/we're the ones who have to try/though we know that time has wings/we're the ones who have to fly." But musically, this song is so unlike Rush, that a lot of people dislike the song. Rush is definitely going for a new sound here, and it does work. Just not as well as the RUSH sound.

84.WORKIN' THEM ANGELS

6.5/10

The intro to the song is similar to Carve Away The Stone, and therefore...uninspired. But the song completely changes direction after thirty second, adding a completely new layer to the intro. The song is about perseverance, one of the themes of the album. It carries this theme very well and sets a theme for the following songs.

The darker part beginning at thirty seconds is definitely one of the coolest things Rush has done, but the intro and the other parts like that kind of subtract from that. Then again, they do fit in nicely and serve as a great bridge. But something else could be done to make the song more memorable.

The mandolin solo is one of Alex's best and most underrated works, and live it is simply INSANE! If it weren't for the mandolin solo, this song would be ranked in the hundreds. The mandolin solo just adds layers and layers of feeling to the song, and gives it a somewhat steampunk-ish feel. It is great.

I think my 80's ranked songs have a lot of controversy to them. New World Man and Fly By Night are Rush classics and they're in the eighties. The following songs are also Rush classics, and I believe most of you would rank these in your top 50. While the following songs are Rush classics, the song writing doesn't seem to be as great as in other songs:

Here they are:

83.CLOSER TO THE HEART

6.5/10

A very sweet song of course, and extemely enjoyable live. Alex's solo is amongst his best, as it is short yet complex, and emotionally charged and uplifting. The into is classic and again, just beautiful.

But because the song is so short and rather repetitive, it earns its spot here. This song only seems new for so long. It is also unlike most other Rush songs, mainly because it is more pop-oriented than anything else they've done. After hearing it many times, there's really nothing to look forward to in the song, except Alex's solo. The lyrics are powerful and very well structured, and amongst my favorite Rush lyrics...but the music just loses its power after so many listens. It's always a sweet listen, but never a fresh listen.

82.THE BIG MONEY

6.5/10

This song (and all of power windows really) is extremely well written. Unlike Closer To The Heart, the majority of the songs on Power Windows never really seem old. Except this one.

The intro brings you in, and has you excited for everything else. Alex is messing around with a bunch of stuff and it's just crazy. When Geddy starts singing and playing the bass, you're just amazed. The song is incredibly catchy, considering how complex it is. The chorus however is a lot less catchy than the verses, which is weird.

However, this song just suffers from the wrong choices of notes or chords or something. It's uplifting and all, but it's just a weird song in the Rush catalog. It is definitely a classic, but something is missing in this song.

The best part however, and one of the best parts of the Rush catalog is Alex's solo. Neil starts drumming like a monster, and Geddy's going crazy while Alex is playings some beautiful notes that really make you think. And then the catchy part comes in, and you sort of realize the song could've gone in the direction of the solo. Anyway, a great song, but one of the weakest on Power Windows.

81.THE MAIN MONKEY BUSINESS

6.5/10

There is only three problems with this instrumental. The remaining four instrumentals on the list have only two, one, or none of these problems. The problems in TMMB are:

1. Too long. Yes, LVS is nearly ten minutes. But LVS changes very often, and is rather unpredictable and each second keeps you interested.

2. Too repetitive. This ties in with the above reason. If the song were the same length, but had some completely different parts, or something a lot more memorable, it would deliver a lot more.

3. No extremely memorable riffs. While you may have this song stuck in your head once in a while, it doesn't really become memorable by heart. The LVS riff is great, the YYZ riff is sung even by casual Rush fans, and LTTA and MalNar have incredible bass riffs.

But besides these problems, TMMB has an amazing atmosphere that some of the upcoming instrumental lack. The song is very difficult to play, and very fun to listen too, even if it does seem to drag on. An excellent effort from our power trio.

80.STICK IT OUT

6.5/10

A heavy, grungy type song. It was pretty amazing during the Time Machine Tour, but on the album it's kinda lacking something. It certainly packs a punch, but it rarely changes, and Alex's solo is below his average solos. I only rank this song so high because of the butt-kicking riff and overall awesomeness packed into this behemoth.

The lyrics fit well, and while they are repetitive, they work, unlike Dog Years or You Bet Your Life.

It's just that nothing really happens in this song. But overall, a very hard-rocking track that's a great deal of fun.