Bass Players!

CygnusX-1Bk2

My new baby-

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/9/6/8/269968.jpg

I wanted a new six string, as I sold my Rogue (good, but not durable enough for my live use). This was only 450, so I went for it. I'll tell you if it's still in one peice in a couple weeks!

QUOTE (Qball @ Jan 8 2006, 01:50 PM)
This is my shitty bass I've been playing for over a year now...

http://kubolski.republika.pl/jpg/skyway.jpg

I'm a guitarist and I just play bass for fun, in a local rock band. It's fun, I like it.

I just noticed the knobs. Is that just a right-handed you strung backwards? And, what brand is it?

Yeah, it's a regular right-handed bass... I haven't find a left-handed yet, so I play what I play wink.gif

The brand name is SkyWay.

QUOTE (Qball @ Jan 9 2006, 08:11 PM)
Yeah, it's a regular right-handed bass... I haven't find a left-handed yet, so I play what I play wink.gif

biggrin.gif It's actually really depressing... I go into one of the many guitar shops around here, and see two basses I've wanted for awhile. I get to them, they're lefties. It's really weird, the shops around here are majority left for bass, then some regular.

QUOTE (thestand @ Jan 10 2006, 04:08 PM)

biggrin.gif It's actually really depressing... I go into one of the many guitar shops around here, and see two basses I've wanted for awhile. I get to them, they're lefties. It's really weird, the shops around here are majority left for bass, then some regular.

I generally think that left-handed musicians are discriminated and have to pay a lot more to get their favourite instruments than righties.

My first post - so I thought I may as well start off in the important section wink.gif

Bass: Spector NS4CR

Amp: Horrid Tramp practice amp - haven't gigged for years!

Guitar: Aria ProII Magna (not played much)

Other: Tascam VT1, headphone amp

Been playing bass for 24 years (ouch!) on and off. My biggest influence without doubt is Geddy but then the likes of Eddie Jackson from Queensryche and good ol' Gene.

3 Ibanez (1 6-string, 1 5-string, and 1 4-string that was hand-made into a fretless before I bought it)

1 Takamine acoustic bass

1 Washburn 4-string

I have an Ampeg amp & head, and a Peavey combo... and some other little amp (can't think of the manf)

I've stopeed using amps and am now using the Line 6 Bass POD. Very very cool, IMHO. It's like having a couple dozen amps at your disposal, and it's about the size of a book.

Edited by Prime Mover and Shaker

Picture in signature l-r (all Carvins)

1993 BB75 - koa, gold hardware, tung oil back of neck

1980 LB50CM - fretless (frets filed down)

2005 LB70WP - Claro walnut, gold hardware, dual humbuckers with coil taps, piezo, stainless steel frets, tung oil back of neck

AMPS:

Gallien Krueger Backline 115

SWR LA12

ART Nightbase SE processor

QUOTE (Qball @ Jan 11 2006, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (thestand @ Jan 10 2006, 04:08 PM)

I generally think that left-handed musicians are discriminated and have to pay a lot more to get their favourite instruments than righties.

Try Carvin. They don't charge more for left-handed instruments. But I'm biased. 653.gif

Bass guitar: Epiphone Embassy Sandard IV. My fellow in 2 years. Nice layout, nice playability, but a bit too heavy. I'm saving for a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

Amp: Roland Cube-100 Combo. My next project after the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass will be to get amplification from Ampeg. I also have an old combo with a blown speaker.

I also use a Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive.

It isn't the best equipment, but it's OK enough for me at this stage of bass playing.

QUOTE (coolema @ Sep 11 2006, 09:16 PM)
Bass guitar: Epiphone Embassy Sandard IV. My fellow in 2 years. Nice layout, nice playability, but a bit too heavy. I'm saving for a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

Amp: Roland Cube-100 Combo. My next project after the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass will be to get amplification from Ampeg. I also have an old combo with a blown speaker.

I also use a Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive.

It isn't the best equipment, but it's OK enough for me at this stage of bass playing.

Nice gear coolema wink.gif

I haven't really done much playing since my first kid was born (2003). In the couple years prior to that I had two basses, a Fender American Standard Jazz Bass V (5-string) in "aquamarine metallic" and a translucent orange Music Man StingRay fretless 4-string. After I proverbially "quit the band" in late 2002, I sold both of those basses and consolidated down to a fretted translucent orange Music Man StingRay 5 with maple fretboard and matching headstock. (That's my avatar.)

My amp is weak, but portable: a Fender Bassman 100-watt. When I used to gig with it I pretty much always had to run through the house PA for added oomph but it's never really been a problem.

Unfortunately it was well over a year before I actually had a gig with this new StingRay 5, and I had never realized before that night -- a nearly 4-hour gig, how freakin' HEAVY the StingRay 5 is.

These days I'm actually contemplating trading it for a Fender American Deluxe Precision 5-string. But I probably won't, for a while at least.

I tried playing bass when I was taking my Audio Engineering lessons and this bass player we brought in for one of our sessions. I asked him if I could try so he let me. He said "Not as easy as it looks, huh?" I said "Yeah." Plucking those strings really hurt the thumb and you have to pluck real hard. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Dec 14 2006, 11:34 PM)
I tried playing bass when I was taking my Audio Engineering lessons and this bass player we brought in for one of our sessions. I asked him if I could try so he let me. He said "Not as easy as it looks, huh?" I said "Yeah." Plucking those strings really hurt the thumb and you have to pluck real hard. unsure.gif

I don't know any bass players today besides Sting who still pluck with their thumb. If it's your plucking hand that has trouble, you could always try playing with a pick. (I was an anti-pick purist for a long time but lately, now that I don't play as often, I find I need to use a pick much of the time or I'll end up with big blisters on my right index and middle fingers halfway through a gig!)

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Dec 16 2006, 08:14 AM)
QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Dec 14 2006, 11:34 PM)

I don't know any bass players today besides Sting who still pluck with their thumb. If it's your plucking hand that has trouble, you could always try playing with a pick. (I was an anti-pick purist for a long time but lately, now that I don't play as often, I find I need to use a pick much of the time or I'll end up with big blisters on my right index and middle fingers halfway through a gig!)

Well I didn't get blisters from playing it but my thumb hurt like hell afterwards. I haven't touched a bass guitar since then. Doesn't Geddy play bass with his thumbs? I thought I noticed it in his older videos but maybe not anymore? unsure.gif

QUOTE (mortkort @ Jul 27 2006, 06:36 PM)
have you guys seen the new squier jazz bass? it's awesome!

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/sear...rtno=0326702521

Looks cool, but I'm scared of Squier. I have a Squier Strat that serves me well enough (since I'm not a guitarist, I couldn't justify the price of even a halfway decent guitar), but I bought a Squier Jazz Bass a few years ago just to have as a third bass for a weekend set of extended gigs out-of-town. We were going to be playing a little hellhole bar by the beach and I didn't want my good gear exposed to the salty air and drunken rednecks.

Well, I bought the thing, played it for a couple of days, and ended up taking it back. It had a horrible buzz I just couldn't get rid of no matter what I tried! It played OK and had a decent tone, but that buzz made it absolutely unusable.

angry.gif

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Dec 17 2006, 07:47 PM)
There's no way to play as fast as Geddy does using your thumb. You might have seen him using a slap technique, which he does use from time to time.

Ya. That's probably what he was doing. I wasn't looking closely enough. unsure.gif