The classic Rush period

MovingSignals

Are there others that think that the albums Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals are just another level than all the others albums. Rush is the only band I'll give more than one album 5 stars and these are the three. Hemispheres i think is close. I think it's the perfect balance between the old music and the new. The spot where they really found themselves. Rythmically it i just awsome and tonally theres so much soul in it and together it gives a much stronger exprerience than "normal" music, and personally i think rush lost what i think makes Rush fantastic later on, but i can still listen to it and enjoy some of it, especially Power Windows, wich still have some of the Rush feel. These albums are also what i love Geddy Lee for. Just the bassplaying alone is exciting to listen to. If you take the instruments alone and listen to it, it is exciting and if you combine them it is fantastic. It blends perfectly.

The music is stronger, and later on it become more laid back and normal and the thing i really loved about rush was more and more lost. Though I can still think a song is pretty good (like Caravan). Is just dont think it is really strong and exciting to listen to.

Someone will probably include 2112, AFTK and Hemispheres (hemispheres i think is almost there), but before Hemispheres the music is too oldschool for my taste.

Do you feel the same way or is it just a matter of taste that you interpatate the music as stronger and more exciting (i dont know if you can formulate it in that way)?

I always considered 2112 through Moving Pictures to be the very peak of Rush's catalog. Those five are ***** albums to me, which means 'classic'. There are no other bands I have listened to that have that many albums with such a rating in my book. I'm so biased about The Boys, I don't think I could rate any of their 18 studio albums less than a ***. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I love those 3 albums, and they are 3 of my favorites. There's really not much Rush has done that I didn't like.

Rush & Fly By Night are good, but not excellent.

Caress of Steel is relatively bad, and Test For Echo, Vapor Trails, and S&A are mediocre/decent. I think Clockwork Angels will be awesome.

The 3 you named are in my top 5 albums, and I think this is when they really discovered their sound, a blend of soaring guitars, powerful drums, pounding bass, and spacey synths. It was like a transition, from their heavy prog sound (which I love) to their synth-based sound (which I also love). Every album from 2112 to Grace Under Pressure is nearly perfect, but those 3 really stand out for me.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 14 2010, 10:59 AM)
Every album from 2112 to Grace Under Pressure is nearly perfect, but those 3 really stand out for me.

My thoughts exactly.

I think every band has it's 'peak', most only over 1 or 2 albums. Rush, being the masterpiece it is biggrin.gif found it over 3 awesome albums.

For me, there are certain songs, rather than albums, that I like best. Some songs on PeW, Signals, and MP I adore; a couple make me cringe a little and hit the "next" button on my PC/MP3 (or, move the needle, if the record's in). Same goes with FBN and even 2112. I adore the title song (of the latter) but on the flip side of the album the only one I thoroughly enjoy is "Passage to Bangkok". And, of course, is true with their '90's albums, VT, and S&A.

No predictions from me on CW. But I love what's been put out so far!

I agree with OP on Permanent Waves & Moving Pictures being on another level in that they marked the time Rush were finally confident enough to move beyond the influences of the bands they grew up listening to. It was here they created their own unique and original Rush sound.

However, I disagree with Signals being in that same class as those 2 masterpieces. It was a necessary experiment for the band at that time but wasn't entirely successful; the obvious weak spot in the discography up to that point and only 3 star album thus far.

Fortunately, the lessons learned from the Signals experiment were put to good use. They came back strong with Grace Under Pressure, easily 5 stars and very nearly matching the brilliance of PW/MP. Then came Power Windows, which wasn't quite on that level but still f*ing great and a 4 star album. Then came Hold Your Fire in which they went too far in a synth-heavy pop direction, further away from their power trio roots, producing another weaker 3 star album.

hmm i guess I like Rush across the board, I personally think Signals throug hold your fire has some of their most emotionally charged lyrics of all of the periods. I was talking to Babycat about some of the lyrics like time stand still, mission, marathon, afterimage etc, and how they can stir an emotion.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Dec 14 2010, 06:34 AM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Dec 13 2010, 10:56 PM)
I think COS - MP are at a level above the others.

Add Signals and thats the superior period for me as well....

Same here. Signals was the last Great Rush album imo . They have not come close but the 2 new songs give me hope

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Dec 13 2010, 09:56 PM)
I always considered 2112 through Moving Pictures to be the very peak of Rush's catalog. Those five are ***** albums to me, which means 'classic'. There are no other bands I have listened to that have that many albums with such a rating in my book. I'm so biased about The Boys, I don't think I could rate any of their 18 studio albums less than a ***. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

goodpost.gif

I really don't understand those who think Signals was a step down. It's a matter of taste of course, because it's a little bit different than Pew and Moving pictures, but personally i think the style of signals is close to moving pictures, and it gives a just as strong excperience for me. The highest excperiences music can give me. My theory is it is just as strong, but because of the little change of style some are just unreceptive to it. So maybe half of people are receptive to it, and think it's the holy rush, and half is not, and therefor think its a step down.

Personally i think the big change was with Grace Under Pressure. I.e. the bass playing is nok as melodic and active from there, than the albums before it. Thats just an example. I think Signals was the last album with the rush style i really love, and afters signals, the style is only halv way there. I can still enjoy it, especially PoW, but i dont think it is "the full" classic rush style.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 14 2010, 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Dec 14 2010, 11:29 AM)
Moving Pictures was the last fantastic album, while Hold Your Fire was the last great album.

Presto-Snakes & Arrows is very good, but nowhere close to the expectations set.

i can easily live without presto and s & a. tongue.gif

I meant the whole era from Presto to S&A tongue.gif

Permanent Waves to GUP is the classic period for me. With GUP even better than Signals. But they've done albums that come close in other eras as well (AFTK, Vapor Trails - yes - Vapor Trails). These'll be my Top 6 - all near the same *****-level. Counterparts comes close, so would Fly by Night do (it Best I Can and Rivendell weren't on it), and so does Power Windows (if the production hadn't been that contemporary back then).

Just my opinion - but certainly things didn't go all down with GUP...

Archived