Drummers!

CygnusX-1Bk2

Well, a double pedal will start off at around $100, but I would recommend something within the $150 - $200 price range if you're looking to go with a brand new one.

The one's that are priced at $100 are the Pacific 402 and the Sound Percussion 602. The SP is going to the better of the two in my opinion. It's a much lighter and smoother pedal as far as the feel goes, and there's also more that you can adjust with it too. With the Pacific, it's a very "what you see is what you get" kind of pedal. Once you break it out of the box, that's it. The Sound Percussion's also come with a 1 year in-store exchange warranty if anything does break on you within that period of time.

The next step up from there will be the DW 2002 and Pearl P902. Both are priced around $160. The Pearl would be my first choice between those two pedals, because you can change the settings on it more than what you can with the DW. The upside to the DW though, is that it has a 5 year warranty with it compared to a 2 year warranty from Pearl.

Then there's the DW 3002 which would be your best bang for the buck. It's $200, but is going to give a way better feel than the DW 2002 or Pearl P902. Plus it has a double chain drive compared to a single chain which is what's included on the 902 and the 2002. You also get the same 5 year warranty with the 3002 as you do the 2002.

But, my best advice would be to take him down to a drum shop and let him try out those pedals if they're available, plus whatever other ones that the shop may have within that price range. That way he gets to find out which one he likes the best.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Feb 19 2011, 07:40 PM)
just started playing, after playing on and off when I was younger. any tips/advice/easy things to learn?

stretch before playing. Start slow and work up. If you can read music, get Syncopation by Ted Reed and Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone. Work on independence and coordination. Any questions about drums themselves?

no i can't read music. i can keep a simple beat, but that's about it. luckily my husband knows a little(he plays guitar) so he helps me. he's better on drums than i am lol sometimes ill just sit there and hit the snare and the bass pedal to get strength.

idk much about the actual drums lol

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Feb 19 2011, 09:04 PM)
no i can't read music. i can keep a simple beat, but that's about it. luckily my husband knows a little(he plays guitar) so he helps me. he's better on drums than i am lol sometimes ill just sit there and hit the snare and the bass pedal to get strength.

idk much about the actual drums lol

Well, that's a start. Those two books can help you a lot. Stick Control has sticking patterns in them. So, you can learn how to use sticking (R, L, R, L etc... to your advantage).

I've got a TD-9KX with an iron cobra power glide double pedal and an extra crash cymbal hooked up to a 15 watt yamaha guitar amp. I also have it hooked up to my xbox so I can use it to play Rock Band. It's pretty basic compared to a lot of kits, but I love it.

So... my husband took his guitar to get the bridge lowered and, while waiting, noticed a nice Hi-Hat that they were asking $70 for. We have a small set that I mess around with now and then (I actually play percussion) and the HH we had was awful. So he grabbed it for $60 (WTG Hubby!).

I have researched and found that they are UFIP 14" Bionics. Made with rotational casting and hand-finished. They appear pretty old and are quite heavy. They sound wonderful!

Anyone else have any experience with these? What do you think?

Any thoughts or experience with Zildjian Amir II line, specifically the 20" Rock ride?

I saw that it was from the mid 80's but this cymbal looks brand new. I have an opprotunity to get one, for my son's set, for really cheap but without really getting the chance to test/hear it.

I suppose I could just bring a stand and a stick when I go buy it, but for only $50.00 bucks, I think it I'll just grab it and let the boy have at it.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 17 2004, 12:49 AM)
Hey gang! Here is our own personal space to post our set ups, even pix if you got them.

I was lucky enough to stumble on a great deal for my new (in Jan '04) Grestch Renown Maple in "Deep Black" finish. The best drums I have ever owned, and I have had more than a few kits through the years.

Drums:
18 x 22 bass drum
5 x 14 snare (best snare drum I have ever owned)
7 x 8 tom
8 x 10 tom
10 x 12 tom
12 x 14 tom
13 x 16 tom

6x6 concert tom (Ludwig)
8x6 concert tom (Ludwig)

6 1/2 x 14 Premier chrome snare (not pictured)

Cymbals:
13" K/Z hi hats
20" Avedis Zildjian Ping Ride (20 years old in 2004)
14" K Dark Thin Crash (x2)
16" K Dark Crash
10" Sabian Paragon Splash
8" Avedis Zildjian Extra Thin Splash
14" Sabian Paragon hi hats (not pictured, X-hat)
14" Wuhan China
16" Wuhan China (21 years old, and still sounds amazing)
5 1/4" Avedis Zildjian Crotale, pitch = A (Tuned cymbal)

8" Sabian Paragon Splash (not pictured)
22" Sabian Paragon ride (not pictured)
16" Sabian Paragon crash (not pictured)
15" K Zildjian Dark Crash (pictured- X-hat top)
14" K Zildjian Dark Crash (pictured- X-hat bottom)

Hardware:
Gibraltar GRS-350GC rack
Yamaha HS-1100 Hi-Hat stand
Yamaha DFP-9410 Double Bass Drum Pedal

http://home.earthlink.net/~trilogy-band/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/offsetsm.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~trilogy-band/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/leftrearsm.jpg

Drooling over your kit new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I never really clean my cymbals. Commercial cleaners contain abrasives that remove metal as well as dirt. Plus rubbing them generates heat which can change the composition of the metal affecting the tone negatively. I have been experimenting some anti-oxidizers but only with old broken cymbals. Occasionally I have used room temp water and mild soap to remove dirt. Cymbals are absorbent so some cleansers will leave deep residue that will also further tarnish and degrade tone.

I have quite a few cymbals that are 20 years or older that still sound great, but don't exactly look like much.

Oh man am I jealous

My kit conveys a kind of "less is more" philosophy. It's still better than the one at my school though. I do have one cowbell after all.

I guess I'm just gradually adding on more drums as I get more experienced. Yeah, it sounds better that way.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4720/kitpt.jpg

Pearl BRX Master Studio (Birch)

5x10

8x10

9x12

11x14

14x16

5.5x14 SD

18x22 BD

20" Paiste Sig Full Ride

19" Zildjian K China

17" Zildjian A Custom Crash

17" Zildjian A Cutsom Fast Crash

14" Sabian Paragon Hats

DW 5000 Pedals

I just picked up a Ludwig xylophone for my 10 yr. old son's first kit.

We are having a lot of fun with it.

Check out the 2:20 mark of the video that inspired us to expand our percussion options.

Peart rocking the xylophone

Now we just need some Temple Blocks and a Gong.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz77/tanhuntland/drumkit001.jpg

That is a glockenspiel, not a xylophone.

I was wondering what made the difference.

Wood keys over metal? The down-tubes? The tuning? Size?

If I search Ludwig xylophone, I get my exact set.

A Ludwig glockenspiel search, gives me the same set.

Although, on Ludwig's site, they call it a Bell kit.

I trust your call CygnusX -1bk2........ A glock it is.

I was just wondering what are the determining factors.

Glockenspiel = metal

Xylophone = wood

(Even though I always thought it should be the other way round tongue.gif )

QUOTE (Jaye @ May 23 2011, 11:47 AM)
Glockenspiel = metal
Xylophone = wood

(Even though I always thought it should be the other way round tongue.gif )

Thanks Jaye.....

Glockenspiel sounds cooler for sure.

Now if I can just incorporate it into the Stevie Ray Vaughn we have been working on. laugh.gif

I guess there is always Gone Daddy Gone by the Violent Femmes...

.....wait, I think that actually IS a xylophone in that song. doh.gif

Edited by WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

OK...the 10 and 12 toms were an impulse buy..I had the 6 and 8 forever..but when I was putzing around on E-Bay last week, I saw the 10 & 12 of the same "vintage" as my others....I just set them up and haven't really moved anything but I played some of 2112 (Overture through Temples of Syrinx) for the first time with concert toms! ;-)

Just snapped this quick with my cell phone....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jaminbenb/IMAG00621.jpg

Edited by Jaminbenb