Drummers!

CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (D-13 @ Dec 30 2004, 07:00 PM)
I was thinking of getting Iron Cobras.....but was also looking at the DW kind as well...nice set up Pag!

Thanks D. I must take some pics. Let me know what you decide about the Iron Cobras. smile.gif

Has anyone used the Evans EQ resonance gate pillow,i just put one in my bass drum being a 24" it's a total pain to get a good sound from but havent yet had a chance to try it out.

What are you thoughts on it if you have used one.

NeilFinal.gif

The Evans EQ pad can be easily replicated for less than the $35 they're asking for this item. It is a glorified muffler. There aren't any special materials used for it. My buddy found a $5 or $10 foam back rest that worked just as well. Ideally you shouldn't put anything inside a drum shell. Tuning can always get the best sound for any given situation, especially if you are recording. It is easier to subtract sound than add it after the source is recorded. You can always punch up a bass drum during mixdown. A bass drum muffler in a live situation can be usefull if the bass drum is sticking out too much in the overall sound.

As for pedals, I played many at the Namm show last January (and will again in a few weeks!). My favorite was a DW prototype still not yet available. After that there were the Yamaha Flying Dragons. They were smoother and lighter than any DW, Tama or Pearl pedal with a better response. I especially liked the direct drive pedals and got a double pedal version for my Gretschs, by far the best pedals I have ever owned. I had a DW 5000 DP from several years ago and they were a constant struggle but the Yamahas are quite smooth and effortless.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 3 2005, 12:37 AM)
The Evans EQ pad can be easily replicated for less than the $35 they're asking for this item. It is a glorified muffler. There aren't any special materials used for it. My buddy found a $5 or $10 foam back rest that worked just as well. Ideally you shouldn't put anything inside a drum shell. Tuning can always get the best sound for any given situation, especially if you are recording. It is easier to subtract sound than add it after the source is recorded. You can always punch up a bass drum during mixdown. A bass drum muffler in a live situation can be usefull if the bass drum is sticking out too much in the overall sound.

As for pedals, I played many at the Namm show last January (and will again in a few weeks!). My favorite was a DW prototype still not yet available. After that there were the Yamaha Flying Dragons. They were smoother and lighter than any DW, Tama or Pearl pedal with a better response. I especially liked the direct drive pedals and got a double pedal version for my Gretschs, by far the best pedals I have ever owned. I had a DW 5000 DP from several years ago and they were a constant struggle but the Yamahas are quite smooth and effortless.

My problem is.... money. I'm not shelling out a few hundred dollars for new pedals. I don't think my mortage company would understand my lack of paying them instead. laugh.gif

My own fault for not researching better when I bought the Iron Cobras. "A constant struggle" is a perfect way to describe my experience with owning them. So... putting other pedals off the table - what do you think my best course of action should be to make the best with what I've got?

Like i said in my previous post my bass drum is a beast at 24" and i have used Premiers own matched play skins to eliminate having anything inside and it's still a pain to tune.

Im going to try slacking the kick side and tighten the front to see if this helps,i went for an Evans gate system becasue a drummer on another Rush forum suggested it and thought i would give it a try out.

Any tips/hints on tunning would be appreciated.

2.gif

Here are a few decent articles on bass drum tuning:

Article1

Article2

Article3

There are thousands of articles out there, all saying about the same thing. It's all a matter of practice.

Slacking the play head and tightening the front head will increase ring. To get more punch you want the front head to be the lowest note it can produce and tune the play side head to the note that sounds best to your ear. If you want to add more punch there is some self adhesive insullation foam stripping that should be available at most hardware stores. It has adhesive on both sides and can be quite effective. It is also pretty inexpensive.

The EQ pad is most effective when strips of velcro are adhered to the shell (not a good idea) so that the placement of the pad itself is fixed and retains consistent tone. This basically adjusts the pressure of the pad on the head.

Evans also makes a muffled head that sounds pretty good called the EMAD, which has a fixed foam strip on the play side. Aquarian also makes muffler heads. Their Regulator is similar to an EMAD but has muffling material on the front heads. I used one on my old Premier kit and this was thest sounding solution that I found. It kept the volume of the drum but still adding punch and definition.

24" heads are getting rarer by the day because 22" and 20" bass drums have become very standard. You may have to special order them. My friend Adam has been experiencing this recently, he has six different 24" bass drums, including the ones he got from Neil.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

Thanks you for all the advice chaps im going to stop by my local music shop and have a look at the Evans products and see what i can do.

Im looking to take out the Evans pillow it didnt cost much as i want the most natural sound i can get from this beast.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by Stickman

ok well here it finally is. I have not taken a picture of my drums in over 10 years. Wow - they are aging and could use a bit of investment. But man are they fun to play. There's another pic with my balding self sitting behind them. Look at the way the light bulb over head just shines off that forehead. Damn!! laugh.gif

Pearl Exports... in silver. Got a great deal on them at the store when I bought them. Have added onto them over the years. It's not the highest in quality, but for me, it was a perfect match. I'm a casual player and don't exactly tour the club circuit anymore. However, I can say my big claim to fame was the night we opened up for Quiet Riot. My wife (who was my g/f at the time) thought the singer dude, Kevin, was such a self-centered obnoxious jerk who was somehow convinced every woman was in love with him. doh.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/Drums03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/Drums08.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/Drums04.jpg

Edited by paganoman

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 13 2005, 12:13 PM)
ok well here it finally is. I have not taken a picture of my drums in over 10 years. Wow - they are aging and could use a bit of investment. But man are they fun to play. There's another pic with my balding self sitting behind them. Look at the way the light bulb over head just shines off that forehead. Damn!! laugh.gif

Pearl Exports... in silver. Got a great deal on them at the store when I bought them. Have added onto them over the years. It's not the highest in quality, but for me, it was a perfect match. I'm a casual player and don't exactly tour the club circuit anymore. However, I can say my big claim to fame was the night we opened up for Quiet Riot. My wife (who was my g/f at the time) thought the singer dude, Kevin, was such a self-centered obnoxious jerk who was somehow convinced every woman was in love with him. doh.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/Drums03.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/Drums08.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/Drums04.jpg

VEREH nice!!! I love them drums Pag! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I don't have a picture, but here's the setup:

Mapex Mars Pro Series in Wine Red.

(I decided on this set after talking to the drummer from Candlebox, who opened up for Rush on the Counterparts tour. That's another story)

22" Bass

16" Fl. Tom

12" Tom

13" Tom

6.5" x 14" Snare

20" Zildjian Med Ride (Hate it !!!)

16" Zildjian Custom A Crash

14" Zildjian Custom A Fast-Crash

14" Zildjian Rock X-Hats

DW Double Bass Pedal

Misc Equip:

Roland D5 Keyboard

Aria Pro2 Guitar w/Dean Markley Amp

Alien (Stienberger copy) Bass

I used to own a Yamaha 7 Piece Power Tour set in my hair band days that I loved to death, but had to sell at the time. I'd kill to have those back.

Kevin

I will get pics of mine sometime. It's like a no brand set, but with Sabians and remo heads. I will soon get aquarians. This is my set up:

Snare

6"roto

8"roto

10"roto

12"tom

14"tom

16"tom

22"bass

14"Hi-Hats

14"crash

16"crash

20"ride

cowbell/other accessories.

Ok, here's the update on my current kit. I don't have a pic yet, but once I get one taken, I'll post it.

Drums:

18x22 Bass

5x14 Snare

12x14 Tom

14x14 Tom

16x16 Floor Tom

16x17 Floor Tom

6x14 Snare/Tom (set up on my left to give my left hand more manuverability)

Cymbals:

14'' Sabian B8 Crash

16'' Zildijan ZBT Crash

20'' Zildijan ZBT Ride

20'' Sabian XS Ride (used as an effects cymbal)

12'' Wuhan China

12'' Wuhan Splash

14'' Zildijan ZBT High-Hat

14'' Sabian B8 X-Hat

18'' Zildijan ZBT China (which sounds more like a gong than a china)

Hardware:

Pearl Double Pedal

Ludwig Cymbal Stands

Pacific High-Hat Stand

Auxilery:

Cowbells

Soon getting wind chimes and more bells

And she's keeping me occupied until I get my 9 piece Tama Rockstar...

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 15 2005, 02:45 PM)
Ok, here's the update on my current kit. I don't have a pic yet, but once I get one taken, I'll post it.

Drums:
18x22 Bass
5x14 Snare
12x14 Tom
14x14 Tom
16x16 Floor Tom
16x17 Floor Tom
6x14 Snare/Tom (set up on my left to give my left hand more manuverability)

Cymbals:
14'' Sabian B8 Crash
16'' Zildijan ZBT Crash
20'' Zildijan ZBT Ride
20'' Sabian XS Ride (used as an effects cymbal)
12'' Wuhan China
12'' Wuhan Splash
14'' Zildijan ZBT High-Hat
14'' Sabian B8 X-Hat
18'' Zildijan ZBT China (which sounds more like a gong than a china)

Hardware:
Pearl Double Pedal
Ludwig Cymbal Stands
Pacific High-Hat Stand

Auxilery:
Cowbells
Soon getting wind chimes and more bells

And she's keeping me occupied until I get my 9 piece Tama Rockstar...

Nice drums.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 13 2005, 10:46 PM)
Nice drums Pags.

Also, I might be buying a floor tom off of my one friend for $10. If I do (after I inspect it), I'll get new pics taken with it in place.

ohmy.gif $10!!!!!!!!!!!? wow thats a good deal if its good that is! tongue.gif cool.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 15 2005, 07:21 PM)
Nice drums Pags.

Also, I might be buying a floor tom off of my one friend for $10. If I do (after I inspect it), I'll get new pics taken with it in place.

ohmy.gif $10!!!!!!!!!!!? wow thats a good deal if its good that is! tongue.gif cool.gif

Checked it out last night. It was in perfect condition, just needs a new head. Needless to say, I handed him the money right there.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 15 2005, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 15 2005, 07:21 PM)
Nice drums Pags.

Checked it out last night. It was in perfect condition, just needs a new head. Needless to say, I handed him the money right there.

Not a bad deal....at all....

Thought I'd join the party:

Tama Rockstar (old model)

8, 10, 12, 13, 16 toms

22 bass

14 Camco Snare (main)

13 Tama piccolo (aux snare)

13 Timbale

Cymbals (All Zildjian unless noted)

Splash

6, 8, 10, 12

Crash

14, 16, 17, 18

China

16, 18

Hi Hats

Main 13 Z/X

Aux 13 New beats

Ride

21 Z

Chinese (World Percussion)

14 16

Asst percussion...etc...

cowbells, jam blocks, crashers, tambourine, wind chimes etc...

Paiste bell cymbals 4" & 6 "

Hardware..mostly Tama, and a few Pearl

Pedals Yamaha

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jaminbenb/Set2005.jpg

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jan 21 2005, 06:38 PM)
Thought I'd join the party:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jaminbenb/Set2005.jpg

Hey! Welcome to the board!! trink39.gif trink39.gif

Great pic, bro. Helluva set up! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif