Drummers!

CygnusX-1Bk2

Ok....it's been awhile for me....think back to the 80's (Tama kit Candy Apple RED)

(no pic available due to limited space....set takes up a 12'X12' area)

Tama Grandstar Custom (piano white)

(for Tama depth was first)

Concert toms

1) 6x6

2) 8x6

3) 8x8

4) 8x8 (no 8x10 were made for this sad.gif )

5) 10x10

Rack toms

6) 11x12

7) 12x13

8) 13x14

9) 14x15

10) 16x16 floor tom

Basses11) 14x20 Gong bass

12) 16x24

13)16x24

Snare/timbales

14) 6.5x14 snare

15) 5x12 wooden timbale-Eames drums

16) 5x13 wooden timbale-Eames drums

Electronic kit (as pictured below but on the backside of kit)

V-pro (older version with PD-9 & TD10 brain & TDW-1 upgrade chip)

1) (4) PD-9 pads

2) (1) PD-7 Pad

3) (1) CY-14C cymbal pad

4) (2) PD-100 pads (10")

5) (3) PD-120 Pads (12")

6) (2) KD-7 kick pads

7) (1) FD-7 hihat pad

Cymbals Going from left side to right

17" Sabian med thin crash (original model akin to AAX series)

15" Zildjian A CST crash

17" Zildjian A Rock Crash

10" Zildjian A Splash

Splash tree~11" Paiste, 6" ping Paiste, 4" Ping Paiste

16" Zildjian A CST crash

8" Zildjian A splash

18" Zildjian A Rock Crash

16" Wuhan (top)

18" Wuhan (bottom)

18" Zildjian China Boy High

14" Zildjian Zildjian New Beat (pair) hihats

22" Zildjian Ping Ride

Percussion

Latin percussion cowbells (Timbale, Mambo, Black Beauty, Tapon)

Latin percussion Chimes (2) back to back

Latin percussion Granite Blocks (akin to Temple blocks but made from plastic)

The hardware is a variety of whatever I could pick up. Mostly Tama. But the Hihat stand & pedals are always DW....Will get a DW kit with DW9000!!!

That's it for the time being....I may have missed one or 2 things.

QUOTE (MrMiltonBanana @ Mar 10 2006, 05:59 PM)
Im ultimate drum newb!!

YAy!

i have a Ludwig Accent Combo black color or something

22" x 16" bass drum

Toms of Doom:
12" x 10"
13" x 11"

Floor Tom:
16" x 16"

Snare:
14" x "6 1/2"

All cymbals are planet Z..........theyre good form my beginerness...so dont kill me

Ride: 20"
Crash: 16"
Hi Hats: 13"

Sothere

Well...I've been looking (now mind you this is future thinking...i wanna spend a LOT of more time with my set before expansion) and I saw an expansion that matched my kit.

Here it is

Now, two questions.

1. Is this something I could use. I always feel like i need some more toms when I play.

2. How would I fit this in. Would I maybe put the smallest one on a stand to the right of the bass drum, put the second (bigger new one) attatched to the bass, then move my smaller current tom to the left bass drum slot thing, and put my largest tome on a stand to the right of the bass drum. I really dont know.

Thanks!

Those come with the stand pictured. I would just keep them on that stand and position them just above the hi-hat as close to the next tom as you can get. You may have to lowere your hi-hat to accomodate.

Here's mine, but they are on a rack, but you get the idea (also on page 1 of this thread):

http://home.earthlink.net/~trilogy-band/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/leftrearsm.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~trilogy-band/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/offsetsm.jpg

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 8 2006, 08:38 PM)
Those come with the stand pictured. I would just keep them on that stand and position them just above the hi-hat as close to the next tom as you can get. You may have to lowere your hi-hat to accomodate.

Here's mine, but they are on a rack, but you get the idea (also on page 1 of this thread):

http://home.earthlink.net/~trilogy-band/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/leftrearsm.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~trilogy-band/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/offsetsm.jpg

Cyg...is that a Renown kit? Not bad...Eventually, I will get a pic of mine wink.gif

QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ Mar 27 2006, 10:47 PM)
Bad pics of my kit.

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/4230/dsc000115ym.jpg

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/1079/dsc000126vj.jpg

PDP?

QUOTE (dudio @ May 24 2006, 06:28 PM)
Here's a question..

Who else plays unconventionally?
Either left handed or (like me) standard set up,
but left handed (ie: no crossover)?

depends on what I'm trying to accomplish. If I need to get to something on my right & crossing over is not really an option, absolutely.

QUOTE (dudio @ May 24 2006, 02:28 PM)
Here's a question..

Who else plays unconventionally?
Either left handed or (like me) standard set up,
but left handed (ie: no crossover)?

Yo dudio 1287.gif

I play the same way as well. I'm ambidextrous. I write left handed, eat left handed etc. But when I play sports, I bowl right, bat, catch, and throw right. It is a right-handed world. Look around you, look how the world is set up for righties. First example being, think back when you were in grade school, how many left-handed desks do you remember there being in school? I still set up right handed but having the ride on the right limits some of the things I can play on the ride because my left is my strong hand. I'm more comfortable with my right foot on the bass drum too. (No double bass pedal) One crazy thought I have had is to use a cable drive hi-hat and play left handed so that my left foot can remain on the hi-hat and play with a double bass pedal reversed so that my right foot stays on the bass. It's strange playing fills sometimes because I lead with my left hand, but that's why I'm thinking about setting up leftie. It is an odd way of playing but I manage to work around it. One of my best friends is a drum teacher at a local music store and tells his students to just listen and not watch me play... laugh.gif confused13.gif

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 8 2006, 06:43 PM)
Cyg...is that a Renown kit? Not bad...Eventually, I will get a pic of mine wink.gif

Yeah, check out page 1 of this thread.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 8 2006, 11:25 PM)
Bad pics of my kit.

PDP?

Looks like Mapex to me.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 9 2006, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 8 2006, 11:25 PM)
Bad pics of my kit.

PDP?

Looks like Mapex to me.

What's your thoughts on Mapex?

They're ok. Kind of similar to GMS. They have kind of a hard sound.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 10 2006, 12:14 AM)
They're ok. Kind of similar to GMS. They have kind of a hard sound.

Yeah, I wasn't a real fan either....Gretsch is making a good come-back

Hi Der Trom just wandering what you think of YAMAHA, I have a really lovely old wood kit , cobalt blue in colour it's nice. yes.gif

QUOTE (different strings @ Jun 12 2006, 06:58 AM)
Hi Der Trom just wandering what you think of YAMAHA, I have a really lovely old wood kit , cobalt blue in colour it's nice. yes.gif

Most of older Yamaha kits are good. Well built & never really have any real overlaying problems. Do you know what series the drums are? My guess if they are from the mid-late 80's it (if it's a 'high-end' kit) birch or a hybrid

That was one of my biggest issues with companies, putting 2 completely different pieces of wood in plies. Most of these hybrids always had some annoying tonal issue.

But yes, Yamaha makes a very good product. If you have pics, show 'em here...I can't set up my monster yet but Rhiannon of Rivendell was talking about taking the kit up to the woods & doing a shoot.

I was kinda hoping to do the raft pic like NeilFinal.gif

confused13.gif

QUOTE (MrMiltonBanana @ Jun 8 2006, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (MrMiltonBanana @ Mar 10 2006, 05:59 PM)
Im ultimate drum newb!!

YAy!

i have a Ludwig Accent Combo black color or something

22" x 16" bass drum

Toms of Doom:
12" x 10"
13" x 11"

Floor Tom:
16" x 16"

Snare:
14" x "6 1/2"

All cymbals are planet Z..........theyre good form my beginerness...so dont kill me

Ride: 20"
Crash: 16"
Hi Hats: 13"

Sothere

Well...I've been looking (now mind you this is future thinking...i wanna spend a LOT of more time with my set before expansion) and I saw an expansion that matched my kit.

Here it is

Now, two questions.

1. Is this something I could use. I always feel like i need some more toms when I play.

2. How would I fit this in. Would I maybe put the smallest one on a stand to the right of the bass drum, put the second (bigger new one) attatched to the bass, then move my smaller current tom to the left bass drum slot thing, and put my largest tome on a stand to the right of the bass drum. I really dont know.

Thanks!

By all means, get comfortable with the kit. Roll around the toms, feel where the cymbals are. Move things around, you'll find what's comfortable for you.

....For me, I would put the toms above the hihat. The options are really endless BUT be comfortable with the playing of the kit.

Just an FYI, PDP came out with a few high end style kits but made affordable....They have a birch kit & a maple kit. There are extra add on drums as well....

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 16 2006, 01:59 AM)
Just an FYI, PDP came out with a few high end style kits but made affordable....They have a birch kit & a maple kit. There are extra add on drums as well....

I've actually been toying around with the idea of buying a PDP kit for band practices and for gigs with little security. There's a couple that I've been eyeing for a while priced at $650 for a 6 piece.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jun 16 2006, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 16 2006, 01:59 AM)

I've actually been toying around with the idea of buying a PDP kit for band practices and for gigs with little security. There's a couple that I've been eyeing for a while priced at $650 for a 6 piece.

They are great kits. First the wood used for those is the same stuff they use for DW except instead of being 100% perfect Maple or Birch, it's 95%-100%. Anyway, they use the same 'True Pitch' tension from the DW kits.

When I was at GC, we actually tested the sound quality & didn't come up with too much of a difference.

Anyway, make sure your guy takes care of you there. The maple kits have about $200 profit so you can get it down a little. If this kit for $650 is maple, it's a pretty damn good buy.

Yeah the PDP is pretty good. I am considering getting a gigging only kit in PDP. Well worth the money. Or I may get another Renown. Haven't decided.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 16 2006, 06:56 PM)
Yeah the PDP is pretty good. I am considering getting a gigging only kit in PDP. Well worth the money. Or I may get another Renown. Haven't decided.

The Renown's are great sounding kits. The problem with them is they have an odd number of lugs....5 on the 12"

I have a story: The rep for DW is a long time Gretsch lover as well. He tells me this story of how he met Fred Gretsch & wanted to know what the inner lining was made from. Fred turned to him & replied, 'It's Gretsch paint.'

I love that story.....Anyway, I was surprised that they were fairly easy to tune & held pretty easily. They too are a company on the uprise. It's good to see this comany making a comeback. I really can't say the same for Slingerland or Ludwig....They still seem to be riding off their name.

ranton.gif Gretsch also has a birch kit in the same price range as the PDP. I believe $700 for a 6 piece. The sound was really good. I sold one to a good friend of mine & he loves it. So, I'd say under $1000 get Gretsch or PDP. Under $1500-Pearl Session (birch & maple), Gretsch Renown (maple), Tama Starclassic Performer (birch)...They sound amazing for the price tag. Once the higher level is sought, I usually have a BIG tendency to DW. The price isn't that much higher & the one thing you are asured of is level of customer service....I haven't seen any other company go as far as they have. That & they use a TIMBRE matching system...basically making the drums in the same key! rantoff.gif

Sorry about the length!

Over the past six months, I've gone completely insane regarding the set up of my drums. Call it my addiction if you may. My newest addition (unfortunately, not pictured) I have a DW Universal Remote Hi-Hat stand (click here for reference) placed by my right foot, and instead of your traditional Hi-Hats, I have two Zil Bells here placed on it.

General View:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/kazzman/DSCF01491.jpg

Left Foot View:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/kazzman/DSCF0150.jpg

Drums: DW Collector's Series. Maple Shell. Silver Sparkle Finish Ply.

8x10 tom

10x12 tom

12x14 tom

14x16 tom

18x22 bass

6.5x14 Snare. Spaun Percussion.

2.5x8 DW Piccolo Tom (mounted on floor)

Cymbals:

3 6" Zil Bells

8" Zildjian A Custom Splash

2 8" Sabian Paragon Splash

12" Wuhan China

13" Zildjian A Mastersound Hi-Hats

14" Zildjian A Custom Mastersound Hi-Hats

16" Wuhan China

2 16" Zildjian A Custom Crash's

2 18" Zildjian A Custom Crash's

18" Wuhan China w/rivets

20" Paiste Alpha Ride (not pictured)

22" Zildjian A Custom Ping Ride

Accessory Percussion:

LP Blast Block

LP Tambourine

Pearl Woodblock

4 Pearl Heracio Hernandez Signature Cowbells

Pedals:

DW 9000 Single Pedal (for striking the piccolo tom)

DW 9000 Double Pedal

All stands are either Pacific boom stands or DW 9000 Hardware.

Heads:

DW Clear Coated for toms

Evans G1 Coated for snare

Remo Powerstroke 3 for bass

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jun 17 2006, 10:43 PM)
Over the past six months, I've gone completely insane regarding the set up of my drums. Call it my addiction if you may. My newest addition (unfortunately, not pictured) I have a DW Universal Remote Hi-Hat stand (click here for reference) placed by my right foot, and instead of your traditional Hi-Hats, I have two Zil Bells here placed on it.

General View:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/kazzman/DSCF01491.jpg

Left Foot View:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/kazzman/DSCF0150.jpg

Drums: DW Collector's Series. Maple Shell. Silver Sparkle Finish Ply.

8x10 tom
10x12 tom
12x14 tom
14x16 tom
18x22 bass

6.5x14 Snare. Spaun Percussion.

2.5x8 DW Piccolo Tom (mounted on floor)

Cymbals:

3 6" Zil Bells
8" Zildjian A Custom Splash
2 8" Sabian Paragon Splash
12" Wuhan China
13" Zildjian A Mastersound Hi-Hats
14" Zildjian A Custom Mastersound Hi-Hats
16" Wuhan China
2 16" Zildjian A Custom Crash's
2 18" Zildjian A Custom Crash's
18" Wuhan China w/rivets
20" Paiste Alpha Ride (not pictured)
22" Zildjian A Custom Ping Ride

Accessory Percussion:

LP Blast Block
LP Tambourine
Pearl Woodblock
4 Pearl Heracio Hernandez Signature Cowbells

Pedals:

DW 9000 Single Pedal (for striking the piccolo tom)
DW 9000 Double Pedal

All stands are either Pacific boom stands or DW 9000 Hardware.

Heads:
DW Clear Coated for toms
Evans G1 Coated for snare
Remo Powerstroke 3 for bass

That is sweet, man. I assume you have a little flare from Marco Minneman?

Have you tried the Aquarian Super Kick II? Sounds great on DW. I used to put those on a kit to make it sell. We couldn't keep the damn things in stock!

BTW, I hate you!!! rofl3.gif You have the DW's & the hardware I want! The 9000 series is great!

Anyway, that's a pretty sweet setup. Someday, I'll have Rhiannon of Rivendell tak a pic of my kit that I have now.

Kazz, now if you had 4 pedals for the other side you'd still be 4 shy of Bozzio's enormo kit. Talk about remote pedals. Damn!

But that's cool Kazz. Nice job on that. I, myself, am deeply jealous. I can see the Hernandez influence. I saw him with Eddie Palmieri last year. F***ing amazing. He did an awesome ostinato with his left foot on a floor mounted block. It was a stunning display of independence.

So the piccolo tom is a wood shell?

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 18 2006, 03:39 AM)
Kazz, now if you had 4 pedals for the other side you'd still be 4 shy of Bozzio's enormo kit. Talk about remote pedals. Damn!

But that's cool Kazz. Nice job on that. I, myself, am deeply jealous. I can see the Hernandez influence. I saw him with Eddie Palmieri last year. F***ing amazing. He did an awesome ostinato with his left foot on a floor mounted block. It was a stunning display of independence.

So the piccolo tom is a wood shell?

No they don't make the wood shells anymore. It's a chrome jobby. El Negro is amazing....When he starts those ostinato patterns, WHOA! The only other drummer I've seen do something similar is Akira Jimbo. That guy throws me because he's always smiling! Even during the really hard parts!

I'm thinking Kazz went with the Marco thing because of the side tom. Marco has this tom that's mounted almost identical except Marco also put a snare on the other side of the head & gets the snare happening!

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 16 2006, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 16 2006, 06:56 PM)

The Renown's are great sounding kits. The problem with them is they have an odd number of lugs....5 on the 12"

I have a story: The rep for DW is a long time Gretsch lover as well. He tells me this story of how he met Fred Gretsch & wanted to know what the inner lining was made from. Fred turned to him & replied, 'It's Gretsch paint.'

I love that story.....Anyway, I was surprised that they were fairly easy to tune & held pretty easily. They too are a company on the uprise. It's good to see this comany making a comeback. I really can't say the same for Slingerland or Ludwig....They still seem to be riding off their name.

ranton.gif Gretsch also has a birch kit in the same price range as the PDP. I believe $700 for a 6 piece. The sound was really good. I sold one to a good friend of mine & he loves it. So, I'd say under $1000 get Gretsch or PDP. Under $1500-Pearl Session (birch & maple), Gretsch Renown (maple), Tama Starclassic Performer (birch)...They sound amazing for the price tag. Once the higher level is sought, I usually have a BIG tendency to DW. The price isn't that much higher & the one thing you are asured of is level of customer service....I haven't seen any other company go as far as they have. That & they use a TIMBRE matching system...basically making the drums in the same key! rantoff.gif

Sorry about the length!

Yeah the Gretsch's are really nice. I had played Premiers for 12 years. The Gretsch's have more tone but are much more quiet. Almost alarmingly so. A buddy of mine bought a Gretsch birch kit that he really loves too. The whole 5 lug thing on the smaller toms is a Gretsch trade mark. I think it actually makes for better tuning and wish the larger drums came that way (odd lugged).

I am not a big fan of the Pearl stuff recently.

I used to love Ludwigs. Not their maples but their mahogany drums. Something about those sound great to me. I know Gretsch makes a mahogany line these days too, but I haven't heard them. I played mahogany Ludwigs before the Premiers and had a few different kits from various eras. I had one 18" floor tom that had the best sound of any tom like it and regret getting rid of it. It was part of a hodge podge kit. The floor was from the 60's, the bass drum was from the 50's and the 13" rack tom was from the 40's. It even had nickel lugs from war time. I put that kit with my other 60's Ludwig kit for a really cool kit that was a 20" bass (right foot), a 22" bass (left foot), 8x12, 9x13, 14x14 (converted floor tom mounted on a snare stand), and 16x18. I loved that kit. Played a lot of gigs with those drums in various set ups and situations. But they were old and drum technology improved greatly through the 90's so I moved on.

I love gear!