I'm almost done with seeing Rush

jacob's ladder

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Dec 13 2010, 12:47 PM)
Oh and save the $30+ on food/beer and eat/drink beforehand at home or a cheaper outside place. That's a "duh" for me at least..

Easily....that's using the noggin!!! Never pay for that stuff inside.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 23 2012, 02:30 AM)
Yeah, concert tickets are really expensive these days.

I used to go to a ton of concerts when I was younger. I can't imagine trying to pay these prices when I was a teenager or in my 20's.

But the way I see it is - I'm 42, successful, don't go to many concerts anymore and can afford to treat myself to seeing my favorite band live on stage.

Screw it. Life is short and this could very well be the last tour.

I'm flying from Chicago to New Hampshire for opening night, which just happens to land on my (and my Sisters) birthday.

biggrin.gif

I agree. I have know idea how kids today are supposed to see all the shows (whether or not there are any worth seeing is another thread entirely). When we 40-somethings were teenagers, concerts were around $10 - $15 - and that was pricey back then ($15.00 to see The Police! Hmmm...I don't know....). I paid $12.50 for my first Rush concert, general admittance (what's that?).

CA for Manchester, NH and Boston, MA, I laid out five bills total for two tickets to each show (NH is the cheaper show). Good call eshine, it should be a great show. smile.gif

I don't go see anyone besides Rush - won't lay out the money.

I had an opportunity to see Tool a few months ago, but wouldn't spend the $80 for the ticket. Kicking myself now though. banghead.gif

Ok. Rush and Tool, won't pay for anyone but Rush and Tool.

trink39.gif

I do have empathy for the OP on this issue. My favorite college football team, the SC Gamecocks, have had a little bit of success, recently, after being very mediocre for a long time. With this success, they have jacked the ticket prices up to astronomical levels, whereupon anyone who wishes to attend must make sacrifices somewhere else to afford it. One certainly didn't have to do this even as recent as 10 years ago.

I don't think people should have to sacrifice to be entertained.

Having said that: I have never seen Rush, and I know that this may be my only opportunity to do so, so I forked out the big bucks, and did without some other things. From my understanding, the live show is well worth it, although I couldn't afford to see multiple shows at the level that I am sitting for this one.

It's only going to get worse, to be honest. In the news today they talked about food prices going up 5%, due to the drought in the US Midwest, and also our government printing more money. Our money is simply worthless, and we don't have a fraction of the purchasing power that our parents had in the 1950s

I'm waiting for the second leg, if then.

I rarely go to concerts, and as far as sports go, I prefer minor league to pro, due to cost.

On a side note, a lot of older 70's acts are touring small outdoor venues that allow you to catch them for free just outside the fences. I saw Pablo Cruise like that a couple of weeks ago. Most of the songs were meh, aside from the hits, but the extended jams were top notch.

I didn't have money to see concerts through college, and then didn't live in the US for several years, so now I see them whenever I can, no matter the cost.

The ticket prices are high, but they still are near sell-outs everywhere, so it seems the pricing is "right". Gone are the days when Geddy can sing back-to-back nights, so lowering the prices and getting two shows in in a city isn't really an option. So, again, the pricing is probably "right".

I managed the price of the ticket by going without certain things. I i put a dollar a day away now till my october show...maybe i can get a t-shirt.

Allready got my train ticket too. Good thing these concerts are planned well in advance.

Cant miss RUSH ever. 2.gif

i saw a show of Rush for 80$ in the higher seat in the arena on the Snakes and Arrows Tour, and just 2 rows below me was a guy who had a last minute ticket from a scalper for 10$! angry.gif It was a itinerant homeless, he couldn't afford to pay more than this. So those who want get a ticket to a cheap price could dress up like a homeless and wait at the last minute. (If you can tolerate the risk of not attending the concert)

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 23 2012, 09:27 AM)
QUOTE (Digitallware @ Jul 22 2012, 07:58 PM)
The Clockwork Angels Tour show at Brooklyn, NY Barclay's Center is even more expensive than MSG was last year sad.gif

That is because that place is brand new , they are going to r laugh.gif ape you for years to come

No I'm f*cked, lol. Oh well, the price one pays for living in NYC.

AAA live entertainment is expensive Have you ever priced an NFL ticket?

I went to a NASCAR event last year.

$120 for the ticket.

$60 for a scanner - really kind of a must to really enjoy the show.

That is $180 before you sit down and have a drink.

The thing is a Rush show or any event that you really would like to witness in person are moments. Moments that will stick with you for a long time. An escape from that day to day, something to look forward to and look back on. Expensive? In a way yes it is but in my perspective it is very cheap, I am not going to get to see the greatest live band in the world very many more times, frankly if I am tight for money, I would rather cut some small luxuries for a while to pay for that ticket.

I saw Sir Paul last year $120 for not very good ticket, $15 parking with long walk.

I went to see The Dark Knight this week, ticket $9 popcorn and drink $12

My first Rush show was probably $7, about 3 hrs of my time at minimum wage.

QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Dec 9 2010, 10:34 PM)
Before I get flamed, let me just lay out some facts. Rush is my favourite band & probably always will be. But these ticket prices are absolutely out of control. For instance, I live near NYC & I am particular about seating when I go to concerts, so if I was to attend the MSG concert in April it would be-

$200 per tix

$25 train ride

$0 for cab , I'd walk from GCS

$20 for beer at the garden (hey I don't make these prices!!!)

$10 random food

Grand total- $255 bucks. Granted, this is a low estimate, as I would no doubt encounter more charges along the way. Who the hell can afford this???

If you go and buy a million copies of Clockwork Angels then I am certain that they will lower the ticket prices. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Jul 27 2012, 12:09 PM)
I managed the price of the ticket by going without certain things.  I i put a dollar a day away now till my october show...maybe i can get a t-shirt. 
Allready got my train ticket too.    Good thing these concerts are planned well in advance.

Cant miss RUSH ever. 2.gif

yes.gif

Can never miss 2.gif , ever.

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Jul 28 2012, 03:47 AM)
AAA live entertainment is expensive Have you ever priced an NFL ticket?

I went to a NASCAR event last year.

$120 for the ticket.
$60 for a scanner - really kind of a must to really enjoy the show.

That is $180 before you sit down and have a drink.

The thing is a Rush show or any event that you really would like to witness in person are moments. Moments that will stick with you for a long time. An escape from that day to day, something to look forward to and look back on. Expensive? In a way yes it is but in my perspective it is very cheap, I am not going to get to see the greatest live band in the world very many more times, frankly if I am tight for money, I would rather cut some small luxuries for a while to pay for that ticket.

I saw Sir Paul last year $120 for not very good ticket, $15 parking with long walk.

I went to see The Dark Knight this week, ticket $9 popcorn and drink $12

My first Rush show was probably $7, about 3 hrs of my time at minimum wage.

for some reason i thought that said you brought a scanner to a rush concert

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jul 28 2012, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Dec 9 2010, 10:34 PM)
Before I get flamed, let me just lay out some facts.  Rush is my favourite band & probably always will be.  But these ticket prices are absolutely out of control.  For instance, I live near NYC & I am particular about seating when I go to concerts, so if I was to attend the MSG concert in April it would be-

$200 per tix

$25 train ride

$0 for cab , I'd walk from GCS

$20 for beer at the garden (hey I don't make these prices!!!)

$10 random food

Grand total- $255 bucks.  Granted, this is a low estimate, as I would no doubt encounter more charges along the way.  Who the hell can afford this???

If you go and buy a million copies of Clockwork Angels then I am certain that they will lower the ticket prices. tongue.gif

Interestingly, I don't think that'd make any difference.

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Jul 28 2012, 02:00 PM)
The tickets for this tour are pretty costly, though I am sure they are worth it.

Which venue are you going to? They're the same price in Montreal as it was during the TM Tour. Personally I don't mind paying $100-150 per ticket for major bands like Rush, Def Leppard and Iron Maiden. Maybe this is a new trend for ticket prices but I've never known the prices to be any different.

The biggest waste of your money is your $150-$200 per month cable bill. You probably can get 30 digital channels for free with a $20 antenna, not to mention your increased productivity from not watching TrashTV like TeenMom and Jersey Shore all day.

So there is $2k to spend per year on high priced concerts, or other activities you might enjoy. You are never gonna be 65 years old telling stories of the episodes of Flip This House you saw in 2012, but you might have some good memories of seeing Rush, the Who, the Stones, etc to share.

Disclaimer: I can afford cable, but been cable free for 4 years on principal.

yes.gif