I'm almost done with seeing Rush

jacob's ladder

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Dec 13 2010, 12:47 PM)
When you're there, ticket prices will be the last thing on your mind.

Oh and save the $30+ on food/beer and eat/drink beforehand at home or a cheaper outside place. That's a "duh" for me at least..

some of us like to grab food and drinks inside the venue during the pee break songs. tongue.gif

The food, beer, and merchandise complaints kind of confuse me. The price they charge for the ticket itself is unavoidable, but these are all luxuries in my opinion. Do you realy need a 10 dollar beer THAT badly? Why can't you just eat something at home, or somehwere else, BEFORE going to the show? If this adds on to your expenses, you have nobody else to blame but yourself. And even when you do forfeit the money for these things, it keeps the vendors in business and makes them able to charge the price that they do because people like you will whittle your money away for it without even thinking twice about it. If you can afford all of this, then you shouldn't be bitching about how much it costs.

I also agree with one of the users who said that ticket prices will be the last thing on your mind when you are actually THERE. Maybe I can only speak for myself here, but when I am actually THERE, i am EXTREMELY excited! I don't even have to be in my seats, just approaching the venue on the bus gives me butterflies in my stomach.. and even when they scan my ticket and let me go through... and walking through the entrance ramp to get to my seats and I see the stage.. ALL of these elements provide for great excitement, but I don't act like a whiny pissant over how much I spent. If anything, it makes me glad to realize that I am employed somewhere that provides me with a hefty paycheck every two weeks so I can afford to go to these shows.

In fact, if that's really how you feel about it, then you probably aren't as big of a Rush fan as you thought you were.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 13 2010, 06:12 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Dec 13 2010, 12:47 PM)
When you're there, ticket prices will be the last thing on your mind.

Oh and save the $30+ on food/beer and eat/drink beforehand at home or a cheaper outside place.  That's a "duh" for me at least..

some of us like to grab food and drinks inside the venue during the pee break songs. tongue.gif

Seeing as how Rush play 13-14 songs, THEN have a 20-30 minute intermission, there is no conceivable reason (in my mind) why you should be geting up during the shwo to take a pee or drink break. Even if it's a song I don't like, I'll stay and listen to it. I paid a lot of money for my ticket, and I am in no mood to keep getting up and pissing OTHER people off just because I don't like a song.

The umber one thing I have always hated about shows are the people who don't commit to concerts. They'll go, have better seats further down the row from me (a.k.a closer to the stage) and then get up constantly and leave until eventually they don't come back AT ALL! Meanwhil, I could have had their seats.

I know I've posted this somewhere else, heck maybe even here somewhere, but the reason that ticket prices are so high is because of scalpers!!

Bands see what people are willing to pay to see them, and places like Ebay and Stub Hub allow scalping, so when the band sees that you are willing to pay $200+ for a ticket that was originally on sale for $85. you can't BLAME them for raising prices because people WILL pay that amount of money!

You can also add all of the handling charges for the tickets, and convenience taxes, and a tip for the person that has to lick the envelope etc. THEN when someone goes to SELL the ticket via a scalpers site, they cite the handling fees etc. as their reason for selling them so high!

I recently saw tickets for James Taylor at my local theater were going for $95. plus the usual fees. less than 24 hours after the show was sold out, Stub Hub had some on sale for $220. and up PER ticket! I've decided that I'm going to start buying twice as many tickets as I have in the past, and selling half of them on Stub Hub, so I can basically go to concerts for FREE!

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Dec 14 2010, 03:56 PM)
I know I've posted this somewhere else, heck maybe even here somewhere, but the reason that ticket prices are so high is because of scalpers!!

Bands see what people are willing to pay to see them, and places like Ebay and Stub Hub allow scalping, so when the band sees that you are willing to pay $200+ for a ticket that was originally on sale for $85. you can't BLAME them for raising prices because people WILL pay that amount of money!

You can also add all of the handling charges for the tickets, and convenience taxes, and a tip for the person that has to lick the envelope etc. THEN when someone goes to SELL the ticket via a scalpers site, they cite the handling fees etc. as their reason for selling them so high!

I recently saw tickets for James Taylor at my local theater were going for $95. plus the usual fees. less than 24 hours after the show was sold out, Stub Hub had some on sale for $220. and up PER ticket! I've decided that I'm going to start buying twice as many tickets as I have in the past, and selling half of them on Stub Hub, so I can basically go to concerts for FREE!

Plenty of "pee break" songs during a James Taylor concert.

As was noted by several previous threads, the price of concert tickets for top tier acts, and even second tier acts has gone through the roof. Supply and demand has really taken over, whereas in previous years, the bands could hold down ticket prices. I'm sure part of it is due to the effective monopoly TicketMaster has over the concert industry, but a lot of it is due to the rising costs and the drying up of albums/CDs as true revenue streams for bands. Plus, its a way to reap some of the profits that used to go to scalpers.

But unlike many of the so-called top tier acts, Rush is undoubtedly worth it. And if you're economical like me, you'll find ways to save money. Since I'm not a front row type of person anyway, I'll usually get the 2nd tier pricing at best (lower bowl or upper pavillion for the sheds). I refuse to pay arena/shed prices for food, so I'll eat a good meal beforehand, and then sneak in a snack or two for the show. I also rarely buy concert T-shirts at the venue anymore, as those are always overpriced. In fact, I think the last Rush short I got at the show was for the T4E tour.

QUOTE (CrimsonE @ Dec 15 2010, 03:02 AM)
As was noted by several previous threads, the price of concert tickets for top tier acts, and even second tier acts has gone through the roof. Supply and demand has really taken over, whereas in previous years, the bands could hold down ticket prices. I'm sure part of it is due to the effective monopoly TicketMaster has over the concert industry, but a lot of it is due to the rising costs and the drying up of albums/CDs as true revenue streams for bands. Plus, its a way to reap some of the profits that used to go to scalpers.

But unlike many of the so-called top tier acts, Rush is undoubtedly worth it. And if you're economical like me, you'll find ways to save money. Since I'm not a front row type of person anyway, I'll usually get the 2nd tier pricing at best (lower bowl or upper pavillion for the sheds). I refuse to pay arena/shed prices for food, so I'll eat a good meal beforehand, and then sneak in a snack or two for the show. I also rarely buy concert T-shirts at the venue anymore, as those are always overpriced. In fact, I think the last Rush short I got at the show was for the T4E tour.

Even with Rush, I'm not sure how much they're charging elsewhere but in Montreal they're still not charging the same as "top tier" acts. The best seats in the house (after the 320$ VIP package) are 150$. That's crazy cheap compared to the 300-400$ other artists charge for great seats (like Bon Jovi or Celine Dion). The worst part is that their acts aren't as long and don't have anywhere near the quality the Time Machine Tour does.

So as long as the quality stays the same, I'm always going to line up for a great Rush ticket unless they pass by again for the Time Machine tour, I won't pay big money to see the same show for a third time.

QUOTE (Oziumrules @ Dec 14 2010, 07:19 PM)

I recently saw tickets for James Taylor at my local theater were going for $95. plus the usual fees.  less than 24 hours after the show was sold out, Stub Hub had some on sale for $220. and up PER ticket!  I've decided that I'm going to start buying twice as many tickets as I have in the past, and selling half of them on Stub Hub, so I can basically go to concerts for FREE!

Try one long Pee break

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Dec 14 2010, 03:37 AM)
The food, beer, and merchandise complaints kind of confuse me. The price they charge for the ticket itself is unavoidable, but these are all luxuries in my opinion. Do you realy need a 10 dollar beer THAT badly?  Why can't you just eat something at home, or somehwere else, BEFORE going to the show?  If this adds on to your expenses, you have nobody else to blame but yourself. And even when you do forfeit the money for these things, it keeps the vendors in business and makes them able to charge the price that they do because people like you will whittle your money away for it without even thinking twice about it. If you can afford all of this, then you shouldn't be bitching about how much it costs.

I also agree with one of the users who said that ticket prices will be the last thing on your mind when you are actually THERE. Maybe I can only speak for myself here, but when I am actually THERE, i am EXTREMELY excited!  I don't even have to be in my seats, just approaching the venue on the bus gives me butterflies in my stomach.. and even when they scan my ticket and let me go through... and walking through the entrance ramp to get to my seats and I see the stage.. ALL of these elements provide for great excitement, but I don't act like a whiny pissant over how much I spent.  If anything, it makes me glad to realize that I am employed somewhere that provides me with a hefty paycheck every two weeks so I can afford to go to these shows.

In fact, if that's really how you feel about it, then you probably aren't as big of a Rush fan as you thought you were.

Great post.

I'd admit that Rush's management etc. are definitely squeezing it a little to cash in on the popularity and exposure, which they have created themselves to a certain extent with marketing and merchandise in the last few years.

But as others have said, you can pay a lot more to see crap cabaret-type acts and artists that have sold out or lost their mojo (I'm looking at you Rod Stewart who could reform the Faces and even you Robert who could tour with Zep).

Rush put on the best show out there in terms of presentation and top end musicianship; they are the only band still going with that longevity and consistency AND they conquer a huge technical challenge for nearly 3 hours every gig.

As a long-time fan even I'd like to see different things tried (deep cuts, more spontaneous show, smaller venues) but the proof is that every time I take someone along to see them for the first time they are completely blown away. You can argue about how thrilling it is to see the Stones, the Who, McCartney in their current incarnation but when you see Rush play you are truly seeing historic, legendary performance - that's worth paying for in an age of reality tv crap and endless mediocrity.

Tricky one this. It does appear that the tour management cos. and all the "legal scalpers" have finally cottoned on to the fact that Rush are hip and they are bent on milking this new cash cow for all that it's worth. I suppose we should be thankful for the cult years.

Having said that, if folks couldn't or won't pay they won't come. Supply and demand people.

I've paid 60 quid for Newcastle, but only after a lot of thought, we're all poor up the north you know. That's a lot of cash, but:

1: You get over 3 hours which equals 2 x normal gigs.

2: It's Rush (to quote Gene Simmons). The only band I would pay that much for.

3: They are no spring chickens. Could be the last time they cross the pond.

4: I don't go on holiday, so this can be a substitute.

When it comes down to it, it's about how much we can afford not to see the guys. It better be a bloody good bash though.

In 1979, a mate of mine paid 25 quid to a tout for the Hemispheres tour in the City Hall. That was 10X the ticket price (600 quid in today's prices). He thought it was worth it then and probably still thinks so today.

Think I'll start saving for the 2013 tour, just in case.

Paid $80.00 for premium seats for Alice Cooper and Iron Maiden. Roger Waters was a little on the steep side at about $110.00. Rush.....more expensive.... they have to put on a flawlwss show to beat the above two shows. Just sayin'...

2.gif

QUOTE (Oziumrules @ Dec 14 2010, 07:19 PM)

I recently saw tickets for James Taylor at my local theater were going for $95. plus the usual fees.  less than 24 hours after the show was sold out, Stub Hub had some on sale for $220. and up PER ticket!  I've decided that I'm going to start buying twice as many tickets as I have in the past, and selling half of them on Stub Hub, so I can basically go to concerts for FREE!

he's got some good songs but i wouldn't pay to see him.

Yeah, concert tickets are really expensive these days.

I used to go to a ton of concerts when I was younger. I can't imagine trying to pay these prices when I was a teenager or in my 20's.

But the way I see it is - I'm 42, successful, don't go to many concerts anymore and can afford to treat myself to seeing my favorite band live on stage.

Screw it. Life is short and this could very well be the last tour.

I'm flying from Chicago to New Hampshire for opening night, which just happens to land on my (and my Sisters) birthday.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Dec 10 2010, 12:34 PM)
Before I get flamed, let me just lay out some facts. Rush is my favourite band & probably always will be. But these ticket prices are absolutely out of control. For instance, I live near NYC & I am particular about seating when I go to concerts, so if I was to attend the MSG concert in April it would be-

$200 per tix

$25 train ride

$0 for cab , I'd walk from GCS

$20 for beer at the garden (hey I don't make these prices!!!)

$10 random food

Grand total- $255 bucks. Granted, this is a low estimate, as I would no doubt encounter more charges along the way. Who the hell can afford this???

$255 MIGHT BARELY cover 25-35% of the flight that I'd need to even get to a city where they're playing. I don't feel sorry for you.

20 bones is quite a bit for a beer though. Sniff glue instead. That's reasonably cheap.

QUOTE (Digitallware @ Jul 22 2012, 07:58 PM)
The Clockwork Angels Tour show at Brooklyn, NY Barclay's Center is even more expensive than MSG was last year sad.gif

That is because that place is brand new , they are going to r laugh.gif ape you for years to come