I'm almost done with seeing Rush

jacob's ladder

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jul 29 2012, 11:04 AM)
The biggest waste of your money is your $150-$200 per month cable bill. You probably can get 30 digital channels for free with a $20 antenna, not to mention your increased productivity from not watching TrashTV like TeenMom and Jersey Shore all day.

So there is $2k to spend per year on high priced concerts, or other activities you might enjoy. You are never gonna be 65 years old telling stories of the episodes of Flip This House you saw in 2012, but you might have some good memories of seeing Rush, the Who, the Stones, etc to share.

Disclaimer: I can afford cable, but been cable free for 4 years on principal.

yes.gif

trink39.gif goodpost.gif

Last June I payed $385 for two floor seats for KISS. That's what happens when they play in a 5,000 seat arena. This summer I'm paying $110 for Metallica, $85 for John Fogerty, $75 for the Stone Temple Pilots and $105 for Rush. I also have to travel 8 hours to Vancouver for Metallica and 8 hours to Edmonton for RUSH and both trips are going to cost me a day of work so I'm looking at $1000 per trip plus tickets and this summer is going to cost $2375~.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jul 29 2012, 09:04 AM)
The biggest waste of your money is your $150-$200 per month cable bill. You probably can get 30 digital channels for free with a $20 antenna, not to mention your increased productivity from not watching TrashTV like TeenMom and Jersey Shore all day.

So there is $2k to spend per year on high priced concerts, or other activities you might enjoy. You are never gonna be 65 years old telling stories of the episodes of Flip This House you saw in 2012, but you might have some good memories of seeing Rush, the Who, the Stones, etc to share.

yes.gif

Who pays $200 for cable? I pay $93 for super high speed internet and HDTV cable, and if I decided to cancel the cable my internet would still be like $50 anyways.

QUOTE (billybobjoe1881 @ Jul 29 2012, 02:59 PM)
Last June I payed $385 for two floor seats for KISS. That's what happens when they play in a 5,000 seat arena. This summer I'm paying $110 for Metallica, $85 for John Fogerty, $75 for the Stone Temple Pilots and $105 for Rush. I also have to travel 8 hours to Vancouver for Metallica and 8 hours to Edmonton for RUSH and both trips are going to cost me a day of work so I'm looking at $1000 per trip plus tickets and this summer is going to cost $2375~.

Holy shit that's a lot of $$$...

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Jul 29 2012, 06:04 PM)
QUOTE (billybobjoe1881 @ Jul 29 2012, 02:59 PM)
Last June I payed $385 for two floor seats for KISS.  That's what happens when they play in a 5,000 seat arena.  This summer I'm paying $110 for Metallica, $85 for John Fogerty, $75 for the Stone Temple Pilots and $105 for Rush.  I also have to travel 8 hours to Vancouver for Metallica and 8 hours to Edmonton for RUSH and both trips are going to cost me a day of work so I'm looking at $1000 per trip plus tickets and this summer is going to cost $2375~.

Holy shit that's a lot of $$$...

That's the joy of living in the middle of nowhere. You've gotta pay for gas, food, hotel, concert & then since you're in a big city you've gotta go shopping.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jul 29 2012, 12:04 PM)

yes.gif

Respect. I can afford cable too but am looking at FTA solutions for a variety of reasons, including being totally pissed off by the crappy television monopolies we have going on in Canada.

Too bad up here we also don't get the free over the air depth that you guys do.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jul 23 2012, 05:48 AM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jul 23 2012, 03:27 AM)
I got nosebleeds for $40. But I'm directly above the band, $20 cheaper than lower level seats at the furthest point away.

They sell seats....in the lighting?

z7shysterical.gif

My first Rush show was $7.50...my most expensive was $600.

If you average out what I've paid over the years, it all balances out.

You only live once and as long as you are not putting yourself or your family in financial jeopardy, it's all good.

No U-Hauls attached to a hearse, right?

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jul 31 2012, 12:39 AM)
My first Rush show was $7.50...my most expensive was $600.

If you average out what I've paid over the years, it all balances out.

You only live once and as long as you are not putting yourself or your family in financial jeopardy, it's all good.

No U-Hauls attached to a hearse, right?

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Jul 30 2012, 07:57 PM)
Really contemplating hard on saving to buy some better seats...

It is enough to be in the venue. Great if you can get up front into the "sound field", but you won't have a problem hearing them from your seat. A cheap set of earplugs can cut down on clattery sound (like echos off back walls).

I've seen them from all angles (prefer stage left GeddyFinal.gif !). Close-up and last row. Just being there is enough. Get cheap seats, pricey seats, it doesn't matter. Just get seats. smile.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 30 2012, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Jul 30 2012, 07:57 PM)
Really contemplating hard on saving to buy some better seats...

It is enough to be in the venue. Great if you can get up front into the "sound field", but you won't have a problem hearing them from your seat. A cheap set of earplugs can cut down on clattery sound (like echos off back walls).

I've seen them from all angles (prefer stage left GeddyFinal.gif !). Close-up and last row. Just being there is enough. Get cheap seats, pricey seats, it doesn't matter. Just get seats. smile.gif

Thanks for the advice. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jul 29 2012, 11:04 AM)

yes.gif

Excellent! I was there from 89 to 04. This fall i'm dumping it again. My wife and son watch it, but not as much anymore so it goes! Good point about the price...

I paid 44 to see them this tour. Problem is that there is over 14 dollars in "fees" that they get you for. 58 and change is ok for me. I have seen them from front row, Ged side, Al side, middle front, middle back...now, I will be complete with nosebleeds...

QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Dec 9 2010, 10:34 PM)
Before I get flamed, let me just lay out some facts. Rush is my favourite band & probably always will be. But these ticket prices are absolutely out of control. For instance, I live near NYC & I am particular about seating when I go to concerts, so if I was to attend the MSG concert in April it would be-

$200 per tix

$25 train ride

$0 for cab , I'd walk from GCS

$20 for beer at the garden (hey I don't make these prices!!!)

$10 random food

Grand total- $255 bucks. Granted, this is a low estimate, as I would no doubt encounter more charges along the way. Who the hell can afford this???

My plan for St. Louis......

$100.00 bucks for a "good enough" ticket

$10.00 bucks for a 12 pack BEFORE the show + my prescription pain meds

$1.00 buck at burger king for a cheeseburger from the value menu

$0.00 dollars at the show for anything

GRAND TOTAL......

$111.00 bucks

I can live with that.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mystic Rythm @ Jul 31 2012, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Dec 9 2010, 10:34 PM)
Before I get flamed, let me just lay out some facts.  Rush is my favourite band & probably always will be.  But these ticket prices are absolutely out of control.  For instance, I live near NYC & I am particular about seating when I go to concerts, so if I was to attend the MSG concert in April it would be-

$200 per tix

$25 train ride

$0 for cab , I'd walk from GCS

$20 for beer at the garden (hey I don't make these prices!!!)

$10 random food

Grand total- $255 bucks.  Granted, this is a low estimate, as I would no doubt encounter more charges along the way.  Who the hell can afford this???

My plan for St. Louis......

$100.00 bucks for a "good enough" ticket

$10.00 bucks for a 12 pack BEFORE the show + my prescription pain meds

$1.00 buck at burger king for a cheeseburger from the value menu

$0.00 dollars at the show for anything

GRAND TOTAL......

$111.00 bucks

I can live with that.

trink39.gif

I've figured that I'm gonna spend at least $3,000 on two shows VIP style for tix, hotel, gas, food, and extras this leg. I'm not counting the cost at this point as these are my first two shows for this '80 fan. Hopefully, I can catch them again on the 2nd leg next year. Yep, willing to shell another couple grand....Hey, better late than never!

trink39.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

cheer.gif common001.gif 653.gif

Times have changed. It has been made clear by the band endlessly, that they tour to make money and make albums because they enjoy it, not because they are profitable. Concerts have become big business.

Since 2004, I have gone all out for Rush concerts, always sitting in the first few rows, so I couldn't care less what the cover price is, I always end up paying a scalper or going the eBay route. However, I sympathize with you and so many others regarding these prices.

All that being said, the thing with Rush is that you KNOW you're getting your money's worth. Unlike spending that kind of dough on a Rolling Stones show or something, where the guys are c;early going through the motions. Rush will give it everything they have and put on a hell of a light show/pyros, etc, and I imagine this particular show will top everything we've seen based on the fact we already know we're getting an orchestra!