I'm almost done with seeing Rush

jacob's ladder

QUOTE (himey @ Dec 11 2010, 01:37 PM)
not sure if we will ever know the answer, but how much cash do they put in their pocket after its all done? alot happens between the ticket price and how much they keep.

Also, don't they get paid a guaranteed amount for every show no matter how many tickets are sold?

QUOTE (fonzbear2000 @ Dec 11 2010, 08:13 PM)
QUOTE (himey @ Dec 11 2010, 01:37 PM)
not sure if we will ever know the answer, but how much cash do they put in their pocket after its all done? alot happens between the ticket price and how much they keep.

Also, don't they get paid a guaranteed amount for every show no matter how many tickets are sold?

True but that means that it's up to the promoters to be in the red when they book bands to play in their venues.

QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Dec 9 2010, 10:34 PM)
Before I get flamed, let me just lay out some facts. Rush is my favourite band & probably always will be. But these ticket prices are absolutely out of control. For instance, I live near NYC & I am particular about seating when I go to concerts, so if I was to attend the MSG concert in April it would be-

$200 per tix

$25 train ride

$0 for cab , I'd walk from GCS

$20 for beer at the garden (hey I don't make these prices!!!)

$10 random food

Grand total- $255 bucks. Granted, this is a low estimate, as I would no doubt encounter more charges along the way. Who the hell can afford this???

Cool, now they'll be more tickets for jmdyyz to scalp! biggrin.gif

I got 2 tickets for section 101 for Cleveland. They are straight on, well as straight on as I could get. $144 total. And this is for the show they are filming!

I was hesitant about getting my tickets thru Quicken Loans Arena as opposed to Ticketmaster just because I am so used to using Ticketmaster. But I have to say it was simple and they only charge $3 per ticket for facility fees!

My tickets were $69 each plus $3 facility fee, making each ticket only $72!!!

QUOTE (fonzbear2000 @ Dec 10 2010, 08:23 PM)
http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=61709
http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=61441
http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=61427

Can we PLEASE stop with the threads complaining about ticket prices?

goodpost.gif If you have a problem with the ticket prices, fine. To each one's own, I say. But, that is YOUR decision. I decided that, as long as I can afford tickets to a Rush show and can STILL feed/cloth/house my family, then I will ALWAYS see Rush, and I will see them as many times as I can. Yes, ticket prices are a lot more than they were 30+ years ago. Hell, they are WAY more than I paid for my first Rush concert in 1997. I don't complain.

The reason is, because I understand the modern music industry. You used to be able to make some decent money off of record sales but, now, it just doesn't happen. You have to tour...you have to get your LP/Cassette/CD profit off of your concert goer. You have to profit, between the ticket and the merch booth. That is their JOB, PEOPLE! That's how they provide for themselves and their families. More power to them, I say!

As long as I am entertained and fulfilled (which I am at EVERY Rush show) I take the price of my ticket in stride. I don't begrudge them one cent of my money. I have dumped THOUSANDS (modest estimate) into Rush over the years, what with tickets, merch, travel, etc. Don't regret one cent.

But, "that's just us..." confused13.gif

Something tells me they're not done touring. I like how they say in the LiveNation ad

A taste of the future...as well as the entire bedebedebedebedebede....

the future seems a little brighter to me. saw the ad with my wife, and with more than a little dismay, we're probably not going. Not enough funds now, plus we prefer the outdoor setting at Blossom. The vibe, the fresh air, the freedom to let your spirit fly like the music, not encased in a man made concrete cavern...

one more tour past this one and then MAYBE they'll take Neil off retainer and make him a full fledged member

laugh.gif

Edited by BeOhBe Bob

Lest we forget we Northeast Ohioans!

April 15th is TAX DAY so if you're a procrastinator when it comes to filing better git r done before you hit the gates!!

*who the hell came up with April 15th anyway? duh!* wtf.gif

I do agree that the ticket prices are completely out of control. I'm sorry, but $197 for anything past the first 10 rows is completely insane. It's also technically scalping by charging more during presales and having "auctions" for the best seats. What a lot of people do not know however is that a) the artist no longer receives such a huge cut of the ticket and cool.gif the COST to put on a show has gone through the roof.

As for the first part, what is happening more and more is that teh artist receives a lump sum up front based on the number of shows and then a percentage of the ticket sales and higher percentage of merchandise sales. By dong this the artist insures that they receive a firm number up front that will put money in their pockets and cover costs. Now the promoters have to cover THEIR costs and the initial payout to the artist AND try to make a profit.

Part B is simple. the band has to pay their crew which, over the years has risen more than 20fold as the shows have gotten bigger (Rio anyone?) and more complicated. I seem to remember a few people complaining during the first leg of this tour "they didn't have any lasers". Well, guess what, lasers cost money. The Time Machine Tour, while simple in appearance, the 3-D effect that they went for is pretty tough to pull off. The sound system, aside from Alex's frequently failing gear, ain't cheap. Add in the all important cost of (ready?) INSURANCE. It can cost anywhere from $3000 to $20,000 plus to insure the VENUE (not even the people ). Given that RUSH tend to use pyro in their tours it's likely a LOT more....

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 10 2010, 12:04 PM)
Yeah, I remember Rush tickets were pretty cheap back in the 80s. Probably no more than 25 dollars per ticket. Why do you suppose that tickets are so expensive now?

Probably because no one buys music anymore.

A band has to make a living.

If I was in a group and no one bought my music, the only way to make a living is gigs.

If people complain about the price of gigs, woulod they expect me to do it for nothing.

The internet has destroyed music.

20 years from now, there won't be any music.

QUOTE (Daza @ Dec 12 2010, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 10 2010, 12:04 PM)
Yeah, I remember Rush tickets were pretty cheap back in the 80s. Probably no more than 25 dollars per ticket. Why do you suppose that tickets are so expensive now?

Probably because no one buys music anymore.

A band has to make a living.

If I was in a group and no one bought my music, the only way to make a living is gigs.

If people complain about the price of gigs, woulod they expect me to do it for nothing.

The internet has destroyed music.

20 years from now, there won't be any music.

Since they're already multi-millionaires who have MORE money than they'll EVER know what to do with, Rush are already making a GREAT living.

• Like 1

who knows how much they get to keep but you can bet they are going get as much as they can as long as people are willing to shell out to see the shows. they have talents and are in demand. nobody is being forced to buy the tickets and if you aren't happy with the product or what they are putting out, don't buy it.

I think 20-year Rush veterans should be given an all-access option to buy a lifetime of free passes to Rush concerts for a nominal fee. Of course, if they only do one more tour that would kind of suck.

QUOTE (Oziumrules @ Dec 10 2010, 01:28 PM)
I don't mind $150 per seat as long as I am within the 1st 20 rows. I would never pay $150 for a lower bowl or side seat.

I was the same way until about 10 years ago then I sat in the first few rows in the lower bowl and loved it. Those are the first seats I go for at any concert now. On the floor you are packed in like sardines and it's difficult to see over people on the same level as you (well, for me it is at 5' 9"). In the lower bowl, that's not an issue.

Nothing beats first few rows on the floor dead center if you are lucky enough to get them but try my way once, I think you'll be more than happy.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Dec 9 2010, 11:42 PM)
You might as well just go. With most likely one more tour left (after Time Machine) and all of the rest of the bands that most of us enjoy dropping off the face of the Earth one by one, in twenty years you'll have no bands left to see anymore.

goodpost.gif

It would seem that about half of what the band gets is from the merchandise sold.

The mark up on a t-shirt alone is probably about 5-10 times it cost to make. Please correct me if I am wrong. If worng, I am certain it is a ibgger mark up than my estimate.

The lines at the merch booth is always full.

I have limited myself to key chains($10) the last few tours.

The ticket price has a lot to do with the advertising put into the community before the show. The local paper had an advertisement about 3"x 3" in the SUnday paper yesterday for the show in April.

I have seen the ad prices for this paper and just that cost at least a grand or two for the one issue. The local radio stations have been running ads as well as giving away tickets last week.(I was caller number 38 but they were looking for number 42. Otherwise I got nothing but busy signals every other time).

What does the band actually get from each show?

The band cut from a show is usually about 50%, however, from that covers the cost of production and crew as well. and while the last leg of the tour was 44-46 shows, the crew was likely on payrole from about mid March since they would be paid for rehearsal time as well.

QUOTE (osubeatum @ Dec 13 2010, 08:43 AM)
I don't mind $150 per seat as long as I am within the 1st 20 rows. I would never pay $150 for a lower bowl or side seat.

I was the same way until about 10 years ago then I sat in the first few rows in the lower bowl and loved it. Those are the first seats I go for at any concert now. On the floor you are packed in like sardines and it's difficult to see over people on the same level as you (well, for me it is at 5' 9"). In the lower bowl, that's not an issue.

Nothing beats first few rows on the floor dead center if you are lucky enough to get them but try my way once, I think you'll be more than happy.

I went that route for my son this leg we scored 3 seats on the side lower bowl a few rows up (row 7) and we are the equivelent of 5 rows back from the stage on the floor.

My son will be able to see the entire stage and show as we took him last leg and sat 17th dead center (and it was great) but he could not see much.

I love the floor and when I go to multiple (cities) shows I will get my floor seats but for one show in my backyard for my son I am more than happy to sit on the side right next to the stage.

I am pumped as the seats are so close we can spit on Alex.

Edited by Todem

what is a better value these days than a rush show? i saw them in july this year, and sept. and i am still bitch-smacked by how great they sounded. not that i expected them to sound anything less than stellar, but they kicked my ass...and sounded better than i've ever heard them. and i've been hearing them live since the early 80's.

i paid $300 for 2 tix to see them at sarnia and $400 for pitts. i didn't do a lot of other extra spending around those shows, cuz that is what i really really waned to do.

the whole fists crying.gif $12 train ride and $25 for food whining has got to stop.

it's called a recession people. the reality of an $10 beer is not just at a rush show either.

for the whiners, may i suggest popping in the rio/r30/snakes DVD and turn it up real loud? have some friends or random people you don't know spill beer on you, walk in front of you and smoke cigs or reefer in your living room while you watch. it'll provide the real concert experience.

just go to the show for pete's sake. don't buy that new ipad or make your car payment this month. biggrin.gif

can't wait to hear all the bitching when they do hang it up about how "jeeze i should have seen them more when i had the chance"...

they aren't the stones you know...i mean, they(rush) have integrity.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 12 2010, 10:24 PM)
who knows how much they get to keep but you can bet they are going get as much as they can as long as people are willing to shell out to see the shows. they have talents and are in demand. nobody is being forced to buy the tickets and if you aren't happy with the product or what they are putting out, don't buy it.

Well said!

QUOTE (osubeatum @ Dec 13 2010, 08:43 AM)

I love lower bowl seats if it is in the first couple of rows. I will be at the Ft. Lauderdale show. Sec 102, Row 1. Middle of the arena on Geddy's side.

I was in section 117, row 1 in 2008. The direct opposite of 102 on Alex's side. I always had a clear view of what was doing on.

Loved it.

You all are lucky you've got a chance to see them in 2011. sad.gif As of this time there is nothing scheduled near me, so I'm hoping they'll throw in a Red Rocks show come summer time. They won't tour forever, keep that in mind!

When you're there, ticket prices will be the last thing on your mind.

Oh and save the $30+ on food/beer and eat/drink beforehand at home or a cheaper outside place. That's a "duh" for me at least..

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Dec 13 2010, 06:43 PM)

You all are lucky you've got a chance to see them in 2011. sad.gif As of this time there is nothing scheduled near me, so I'm hoping they'll throw in a Red Rocks show come summer time. They won't tour forever, keep that in mind!

Yep, they won't tour forever. That's why I flew over to the USA to see them there on this very special Tour where they would play MP.

Now they show up in Europe anyway. Only 1 gig on the mainland, so get a ticket, a week later a second show is added, even closer to home, so get another ticket. What's next??