What music do you listen to that is competely

micgtr71

I have to admit that I was sifting through my music for something to listen to and settled on The Ladder by Yes-not a far stretch. After that, I listened to the Grateful Dead's Halloween show from 1991. Tonight I am listening to Mahler's 10th symphony. Not exactly what you would expect from a rush fan. Any strange likes out there?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's look through my MP3 player...

Lady Gaga... Weird Al.... Several musicals... Black Eyed Peas.. Ludacris... Caramell... Gackt... Cascada.. Origa.. A whole bunch of Star Trek themes and scores... Owl City (eee!!)... The Ting Tings... Speakerboxx...

I think I've got some Eminem hiding in my files. Also a lot of jazz, but I consider it to be closer to Rush than.. well, Gackt or Caramell. xD

Actually, Gackt isn't too far off. Just the fact that he uses synths quite differently and has more of an orchestral sound in the back in a lot of his songs, at least as I've noticed. It's a bizarre contrast between really heavy, electronic-sounding music and light, pretty violins. Kinda. It's very difficult to explain, aha.

And he's Japanese, so I have to go through and find the translations if I want to know what the heck he's singing about.

In addition to prog, I like southern rock/blues rock. My parents love bands like Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, ZZ Top and the like. I basically grew up listening to that stuff, so its hard not to like it.

I used to listen to a lot of classical stuff like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven etc. I really haven't listened to classical music for a while, and I think I should get back into it.

I used to like country too, again mostly because my parents listen to it. Theres a few modern country singers I like but I can't call myself a fan.

While its not completely different than Rush, I like a lot of classic rock/arena rock bands. My favorites include Styx, Cheap Trick,Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Journey, Billy Joel, KISS, CCR, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Meat Loaf, etc.

Lately, I've been sort of getting into some alternative bands. I don't have a lot of albums, but what I've heard I liked. Theres some indie bands and unknown bands that I enjoy also.

Also, I like Weird Al Yankovick biggrin.gif

I feel like I don't listen to a wide variety of music, so I'm trying to listen to different genres.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

I would have to say old country is the least rushlike music I listen to. Some favorite artists include,

Merle Haggard

Ray Price

Loretta Lynn

Ernest Tubb

Mel Tillis

George Strait

I hate most modern country, so much that CMA stands for Country My Ass.

I've got everything on my system from 80's new wave up to country, and some classical stuff. I've also just gotten a huge pile of traditional Celtic music from my office mate.

I would also like to mention The Grateful Dead. I think the Allman Brothers fall in this category as well.

Speaking of the Halloween '91 GD show, isn't that the one where Ken Kessey reads the e.e. Cummings poem (plus isn't there a Spoonful and Warewolves of London in the set)??

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Dec 3 2010, 05:30 AM)
Origa..

Wow! Really? This is the first time I see her mentioned on TRF. Are you another GITS-SAC fan? I admit I discovered her through that! laugh.gif

As for what I listen to... bollywood sountracks, Formula 1 Monza field recordings of the 70s, Godspeed you black emperor, Giorgio Gaber, russian pop, j-pop, canto-pop...

Prog no, I hate it. tongue.gif

Beethoven symphonies, Bach, jazz, jazz fusion, Abba, the Carpenters, the Jackson Five, the Partridge Family, Simon & Garfunkel, 7 Seconds, the Stranglers, Laurie Anderson, 80s new wave, Sigur Ros, Joan Armatrading, Renaissance, Paul Winter Consort, Bruce Hornsby, Johnny Cash, Run DMC...

I could go on.

QUOTE (Jaye @ Dec 3 2010, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Dec 3 2010, 03:01 PM)
Jethro Tull

Is that Ian dancing in your avatar? laugh.gif

Ha!! Looks a lot like him, huh? No, it's Tom Cruise's character from Tropic Thunder (Les Grossman).

QUOTE (tjtull @ Dec 3 2010, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Dec 3 2010, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Dec 3 2010, 03:01 PM)
Jethro Tull

Is that Ian dancing in your avatar? laugh.gif

Ha!! Looks a lot like him, huh? No, it's Tom Cruise's character from Tropic Thunder (Les Grossman).

Ah! laugh.gif Shame, I thought I was gonna get to see a Tull vid I haven't seen yet. tongue.gif

Lots of different things.

Last night I went on a Keith Jarrett binge. My God can that guy make an acoustic piano sing....

I love Rush, dig a LOT of hard rock, and a lot of old-school progressive music, but there's a ton of non-Rush-related music that moves me.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Dec 3 2010, 08:56 AM)
I would also like to mention The Grateful Dead. I think the Allman Brothers fall in this category as well.

Speaking of the Halloween '91 GD show, isn't that the one where Ken Kessey reads the e.e. Cummings poem (plus isn't there a Spoonful and Warewolves of London in the set)??

Indeed it is. That was a great show and I have a soundboard of it.

QUOTE (garbo @ Dec 2 2010, 10:39 PM)
OPERA

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I don't know. I just can't see Ged singing the role of Cavaradossi in Tosca, but you just never know. tongue.gif

ETA: And lately this BADASS. Beware of nightmares and something to soothe your senses after that

I love Puccini. Tosca, Turrandot, but my favorite is La Boheme.