So . . . no Clockwork Angels CD then?

syrinxthrawn

Actually, I have mixed feelings about them touring again right now. Sure, I'd love to see them again (and will) but I was hoping it would be in support of "Clockwork Angels". I was figuring on them having finished up in South America and then, after the holiday season, going back into the studio and finishing CA for release in 2011 and THEN going back out on tour. Anyone want to speculate on a CA release date? huh.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not attempting to rationalize whether or not ticket prices are too high, and I don't even want to go into the whole "CD sales are dropping" argument. The point of my response was that if you can afford to go to a show, then go. If not, don't. If they put out a CD, most fans will by it and go to a show if they can.

Really, I don't have a problem with what Rush's ticket prices are doing, especially having seen what some acts charge to do a stadium gig.

Anyway, the point is that the argument is moot. Nothing we say or do on this board is going to change either the ticket prices or CD sales.

And that's the truth, so support the band whoever you can, if you so desire. If not, stop harping on it.

As much as it annoys me, the band is being very smart. Things have reversed, albums= no money, tour= big money. I feel lucky to have grown up in the time when you could see the band for 20 bucks and get a new album (and a different tour!) every year or two. It is what it is, until you banana heads stop paying incredible prices for the same lame freakin show, Rush will never get off the road. I can see them releasing 2 new songs every year for the next six years and touring off of that for the rest of their careers. Maybe the time machine tour will go on forever! WOO HOO!

Bands make very little money from recording these days. Small profits on cd's plus illegal downloading where as touring is a real revenue generator. I'd rather see a live show than listen to recorded material.

they're doing whatever brings in the dough. there are people out there who have only heard of mp so it's great marketing on their part to play it in it's entirety, and it's certainly putting fans in the seats. they are going to record a show from this tour and throw it out there which will be the gravy on top. i'm not interested in buying live material but there will be people who will buy it.

Interviews with Ray Daniels, Alex and Geddy in the last few months have hinted at the album being finished in 2011 with a 2012 release. They are doing things at their own pace. In the past, they would have played longer tours with less time between shows. Now they are playing 3 shows a week without back to back nights. Fans want to see this tour... 8 months ago European fans were pissed that they where not included... same with cities missed on the first run.

If they finish the last leg of the US tour by mid summer, that'll give them plenty of time, while still sharp, to finish the album in the fall, take a holiday break and drop CA in the spring. That would give us yet another Tour in the summer of 2012.

Complaints aside, this is the busiest they have chosen to be in years. I'm all for it. As for cashing in.....? were people complaining in the past when they played 60-70 date or more, US tours?

Rush not touring... complaints

Rush tour is tour short and not hitting Europe... complaints

Rush now touring too much??? complaints?

there's no pleasing some people....

Be happy that they still choose to do anything at all.

-Matt

QUOTE (irish_matt @ Nov 30 2010, 02:23 PM)
Interviews with Ray Daniels, Alex and Geddy in the last few months have hinted at the album being finished in 2011 with a 2012 release. They are doing things at their own pace. In the past, they would have played longer tours with less time between shows. Now they are playing 3 shows a week without back to back nights. Fans want to see this tour... 8 months ago European fans were pissed that they where not included... same with cities missed on the first run.

If they finish the last leg of the US tour by mid summer, that'll give them plenty of time, while still sharp, to finish the album in the fall, take a holiday break and drop CA in the spring. That would give us yet another Tour in the summer of 2012.

Complaints aside, this is the busiest they have chosen to be in years. I'm all for it. As for cashing in.....? were people complaining in the past when they played 60-70 date or more, US tours?

-Matt

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (irish_matt @ Nov 30 2010, 02:23 PM)

-Matt

Dead on.

QUOTE (woodring2112 @ Nov 30 2010, 01:02 PM)
I was not attempting to rationalize whether or not ticket prices are too high, and I don't even want to go into the whole "CD sales are dropping" argument. The point of my response was that if you can afford to go to a show, then go. If not, don't. If they put out a CD, most fans will by it and go to a show if they can.

Really, I don't have a problem with what Rush's ticket prices are doing, especially having seen what some acts charge to do a stadium gig.

Anyway, the point is that the argument is moot. Nothing we say or do on this board is going to change either the ticket prices or CD sales.

And that's the truth, so support the band whoever you can, if you so desire. If not, stop harping on it.

See, people agree with me. I was passing no comment on ticket prices, just the fact the it makes more financial sense for Rush to tour than to record. The opposite of how it was 30 years ago.

But if I think they are taking advantage - and the price increases from last time suggest they are, then I will moan like absolute buggery, because my income hasn't increased by anything like the same percentage. So why should Fatty, Big Nose and Red nose's?

They're a touring band, as we all know.. That's how they got popular in the first place (well.. at least, that's how they got their first fans) and that's how they're continuing to get new fans from newer generations! Think how many people have said that going to a Rush concert pretty much MADE them a fan. That means those same fans will go out and buy songs (really, it's so much easier than trying to find free versions online).. So in the end I think it's all good.

Like I've said on other threads, I can wait. I can be patient. Maybe touring really IS the best thing for them. They obviously still immensely enjoy performing live -- why deny them?

QUOTE (Angua @ Dec 1 2010, 02:37 AM)
I'd rather see a live show than listen to recorded material.

x2

Never underestimate the power of live music.

I have faith in any decisions the band make - they have had a pretty good run thus far - and you will struggle to find another band (or if you do know one, please share), with the same size fan base, 'giving' as much as they do.

Edited by Ranger J

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Nov 30 2010, 06:45 PM)
They're a touring band, as we all know.. That's how they got popular in the first place (well.. at least, that's how they got their first fans) and that's how they're continuing to get new fans from newer generations! Think how many people have said that going to a Rush concert pretty much MADE them a fan. That means those same fans will go out and buy songs (really, it's so much easier than trying to find free versions online).. So in the end I think it's all good.

Like I've said on other threads, I can wait. I can be patient. Maybe touring really IS the best thing for them. They obviously still immensely enjoy performing live -- why deny them?

goodpost.gif

This is how I became a fan as well. Thanks for pointing out the TRUTH!

QUOTE (A Farewell to Things @ Nov 30 2010, 08:23 PM)

goodpost.gif

This is how I became a fan as well. Thanks for pointing out the TRUTH!

Ditto!

I will have to completely agree with this. Before seeing the Time Machine concert this past October, Rush was just another band I liked that simply happened to have several songs I liked. OK, so I liked pretty much every song of theirs I heard on the radio. And I was aware they were an iNtuitive Thinker band.

But it was their concert that made me like them enough to join this forum and get me nearly obsessed with them. I had never had so much fun at a concert before.

If CA is their last album and after that they will simply keep touring, I will be content. I would like for CA to be finished- but I want to see Rush again live for sure.