Rushism

Good,bad,andrush

Sorry, I couldn't help it. This is just for fun, no offense to truly religious people. But I wanted to make a little religion based off the teachings of Rush...not that I follow it or anything...(okay, I do).

Here are the 21 Commandments, and the 12 practices:

C1: Your Rush is not a jealous Rush; you are free to listen to other music as you please, so long as it is honest music from honest musicians (not atrocious sounds like Rap, pop, hip-hop, etc.)

C2: You must look at life in the available light, even if you are doing time in the gutter.

C3: You must choose freewill and not listen to those who disparage you.

C4: You must not conform; elevate from the norm.

C5: You must look ahead and live for yourself before you attempt to help others.

C6: Once you have looked ahead, take time to look around and see more of the people and the places around you.

C7: You must respect everyday people; don't be fooled by the glamour girl or the champions who play the perfect game.

C8: You must not have faith in faith; instead, you must cling to hope and believe in love, because waiting for some faithful act is not always beneficial.

C9: You will eventually go bald, but even when you are grey, you must be grey your way.

C10: You must remember to not give up on life, because it is a marathon.

C11: You must not rent your mind to any god or government.

C12: You must not choose love or wisdom; you must achieve a balance of both.

C13: Do not let your life be controlled by others who do not let you make your own music, or create your own path for that matter.

C14: You must be a working man, but don't forget to enjoy yourself.

C15: You may be hurt by half the world...but remember there is another half.

C16: You must resist everything but your desires, and close your eyes to anything but injustice.

I'll post the rest up later, I have to go.

C17: You must not limit your ceilings; achieve the unreachable glory.

C18: You must show; don't tell.

C19: You will pay the price...but don't count the cost.

C20: You must never end up between the wheels; always stay ahead of the wheel, and get back on if you fall off. The big wheel will always spin, so just take your chances.

C21: You must forgive those who have done you wrong...except the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

P1: Begin the day with a friendly voice: always listen to a Rush song of your choosing upon awakening.

P2: At least once in your lifetime, you must make a pilgrimage to watch a Rush concert.

P3: Make sure you own a complete collection: get all albums and dvds you possibly can.

P4: Go beyond the songs: go and visit Tai Shan, go read Tom Sawyer, and go read Anthem; don't confine yourself to just listening...do it if allowed by circumstances.

P5: Take an instrument and make your own music.

P6: Analyze every Rush song over your lifetime.

P7: While driving, listen to any of the following: Red Barchetta, Driven, Dreamline, Anthem, Bastille Day, or Far Cry. Feel free to listen to others as well.

P8: Quote Rush in your essays, speeches, or other writings.

P9: Search for the Fountain of Lamneth, or any other calling in your life.

P10: Go on a campaign to bring everyone closer to the heart...just do your part.

P11: Read Neil Peart's books.

P12: Get out there and rock, and Roll the Bones!

So its basically like... Individualism?

Haha, I'm terrible. I couldn't follow any of these. xD

C1: Your Rush is not a jealous Rush; you are free to listen to other music as you please, so long as it is honest music from honest musicians (not atrocious sounds like Rap, pop, hip-hop, etc.)

Nope. Can't do this one. I go to too many high school dances and my MP3 player is full of rap, pop, and hip-hop. OH THE SHAME.

C4: You must not conform; elevate from the norm.

Does that mean I can't root for the Huskers anymore 'cause everyone else in the state does? (But I suppose this doesn't apply. I like the Huskers because I like them, not because everyone else does.)

C5: You must look ahead and live for yourself before you attempt to help others.

BUT I'M OBSESSED WITH COMMUNITY SERVICE.

C7: You must respect everyday people; don't be fooled by the glamour girl or the champions who play the perfect game.

Okay.. well... Ndamukong Suh is pretty amazing.. and so is Taylor Martinez.. But they're not perfect. tongue.gif

C9: You will eventually go bald, but even when you are grey, you must be grey your way.

What?! I'm going to go bald?! Oh, heck no.

C11: You must not rent your mind to any god or government.

I believe in God, but I don't rent my mind out to him.

C13: Do not let your life be controlled by others who do not let you make your own music, or create your own path for that matter.

...And if they try to smash my guitar saxophone they are going DOWN.

C21: You must forgive those who have done you wrong...except the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"Amen."

P1: Begin the day with a friendly voice: always listen to a Rush song of your choosing upon awakening.

DONE! I do this already.

P2: At least once in your lifetime, you must make a pilgrimage to watch a Rush concert.

Done, too.

P3: Make sure you own a complete collection: get all albums and dvds you possibly can.

Youtube is my friend...

P4: Go beyond the songs: go and visit Tai Shan, go read Tom Sawyer, and go read Anthem; don't confine yourself to just listening...do it if allowed by circumstances.

I'm on it!

P5: Take an instrument and make your own music.

Got an Alto Sax sittin' next to me.

P6: Analyze every Rush song over your lifetime.

I've already started on "2112" and both parts of "Cygnus". Only... over 145 to go.

P7: While driving, listen to any of the following: Red Barchetta, Driven, Dreamline, Anthem, Bastille Day, or Far Cry. Feel free to listen to others as well.

P8: Quote Rush in your essays, speeches, or other writings.

P9: Search for the Fountain of Lamneth, or any other calling in your life.

P10: Go on a campaign to bring everyone closer to the heart...just do your part.

P11: Read Neil Peart's books.

P12: Get out there and rock, and Roll the Bones!

DONE on all of these.. except for that eleventh one! Oops! Better get to the library ASAP.

(P8? Yeah. AP Language and Composition test last year. Totally quoted one of their songs (which one, however, escapes me) on an essay. And I got a 5 overall~)

So I'll have no issue with the practices, it seems!

And there's my personal analysis.

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Nov 25 2010, 02:42 PM)

> implying that I'm going to stop listening to blink-182, Dr. Dre, Green Day, N.W.A, Fall Out Boy, Lupe Fiasco, or Paramore

http://xc4.xanga.com/7fef334710d31252253606/b200350346.jpg

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Nov 25 2010, 11:06 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Nov 25 2010, 02:42 PM)

> implying that I'm going to stop listening to blink-182, Dr. Dre, Green Day, N.W.A, Fall Out Boy, Lupe Fiasco, or Paramore

http://xc4.xanga.com/7fef334710d31252253606/b200350346.jpg

I don't know; I stopped listening to Green Day, Blink 182, and Fall Out Boy quite a while ago... But that last one was after they had a terrible performance on New Year's a year or so ago. E gads.

But lol, that was my same kind of reaction. xD

Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga, I will never give you up! No matter what they say!

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Nov 25 2010, 06:58 PM)
haha, it's funny that if you followed these...you'd actually be a moral person according to the majority of the ideas presented in religious texts.

yes.gif

I've studied religion (organized and personal) for over 25 years. Most of them encourage similar ideals. Ya know, below the surface - underneath the the names and minutiae that divide them - all positive religions pretty much say the same things.

It couldn't hurt to keep these "commandments" in mind. The Practices, I think I've done most of them already, so I'm well on my way to being a Priestess of the Pagan Mother.... or of Syrinx? wink.gif

QUOTE (Mission-Man 67 @ Feb 18 2011, 02:49 PM)
popcorn.gif

Yeah, this ought to flush a few trolls out.... I'll join you...

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/smiley5135.gif

Archived