it's official now...

liddybuck01

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha, so many haters. I'm not saying its the best cover version of a Rush song at all, but I'm all for this one. If it exposes more people to Rush who would otherwise not know who they were, all the more power to the song.

I don't care for it, but it's never been my fave Rush song anyway. I'm sure she was trying to show a little love for fellow Canadians.

QUOTE (Ultra @ Nov 24 2010, 11:30 AM)
Haha, so many haters. I'm not saying its the best cover version of a Rush song at all, but I'm all for this one. If it exposes more people to Rush who would otherwise not know who they were, all the more power to the song.

I wouldn't say that. If this becomes a hit for her, how many people who aren't familiar with the original do you honestly think will decide to look it up? I'm guessing not too many at all. Most people won't take the time to do that and will just think it's something she wrote. I don't think this in any way gets Rush "out there" more and gives them any kind of exposure at all.

If a cover becomes a hit, it very rarely does anything for the original artist other than giving them a few extra bucks. If anyone knows of a band who's popularity went up because someone covered a song of theirs and it became a hit please let me know because I can't think of any unsure.gif

As for Nelly's version i'm not offended like some are. It's not that great but i've heard worse covers before.

I haven't listened because I honestly can't stand Smelly FurTaco. Her voice is so flat and thin sounding to me.

(I also got WAY too much exposure to that HORRIBLE song "Turn Off The Light". At the time it was popular, I worked in an environment with background music. That awful nails-on-chalkboard song came on about three times per hour. I almost had to seek therapy).

And to the person who mentioned Feedback - I've never been crazy about it either (granted, I don't care for most of the original versions of those songs). I understand why Rush released it, but it would not have bothered me at all if they'd toured that year without it.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Nov 24 2010, 11:50 AM)

If a cover becomes a hit, it very rarely does anything for the original artist other than giving them a few extra bucks. If anyone knows of a band who's popularity went up because someone covered a song of theirs and it became a hit please let me know because I can't think of any unsure.gif

Bob Dylan is all I can think of.

QUOTE (Kublakhan94 @ Nov 24 2010, 02:45 PM)

Bob Dylan? Not at all. He has always been huge. (That's what she said!)

She could have mumbled that song drooling in her sleep and it would have more emotion than the recording.

It's been mentioned, but wow is the instrumentation just god-awful. A cheap $10 Walmart keyboard and it's built-in drum pattern have never sounded so boring and amateurish.

QUOTE (Ranger J @ Nov 24 2010, 12:58 AM)
That is absolute filth.

What the f*** is wrong with pop stars today - out to make a quick buck regardless of who's song they obliterate in the process. Spineless bastards!

I've changed my mind, I love this version.

I was hoping it was appear on the next Twilight movie...

pokey.gif

QUOTE (Ranger J @ Nov 24 2010, 07:27 PM)
QUOTE (Ranger J @ Nov 24 2010, 12:58 AM)
That is absolute filth.

What the f*** is wrong with pop stars today - out to make a quick buck regardless of who's song they obliterate in the process. Spineless bastards!

I've changed my mind, I love this version.

I was hoping it was appear on the next Twilight movie...

pokey.gif

Haha, like anything decent could happen in a Twilight movie!

Oh wait, did I type that out loud?

(To be honest, even if there was an entire track from Rush in a Twilight movie, I still wouldn't go to see it. But that's beside the fact.)

If anything, I hope that this cover will bring some kind of new blood towards Rush... That'd be great, anyways! I better tell all my FB friends. o3o

the guy that made Score grew up a neighborhood or 3 away from Rush & is about 10 years younger than them. My guess is he included this cover in his movie with a wink and a strong measure of irony.

and yeah - Bob Dylan is a good point -- he became huge (and rich) because of others covering his songs. Before anybody heard Bob's original of Blowing in the Wind, covers were all over the radio.

Other examples of covers leading people to the original artist? Just about every Phish Halloween show, their "musical costume" is a cover of another band's album. They've done the White Album, Quadraphenia, Remain in Light, Loaded, Exile & Waiting for Columbus. The year they did Exile, they had a countdown of 100 possible albums (Moving Pics was included). Phish fans, being obsessive about all things Phish def. would have sought out the originals en masse following the shows.

it's funny to say "this doesn't reach her audience. they don't get it." well hey, some of us ARE her audience! lol

reminds me of a recent video i saw of Shakira on her latest tour doing "Nothing Else Matters". i said to myself, "no one there knows this!" but hey, if i was, i would have! lol

some people out there, like me, who have a wide taste in music can appreciate things like this. maybe if it wasn't SO poppy it would be more enjoyable. it's not her voice or performance, it's all the music and production, IMO.

QUOTE (Kublakhan94 @ Nov 25 2010, 04:45 AM)

I Shot The Sheriff

QUOTE (Kublakhan94 @ Nov 24 2010, 02:45 PM)

Blinded By The Light by Manfred Mann's Earth Band. Originally recorded by Bruce Springsteen. It did expose me to him after hearing it.

She turned the song into a piece of electro-pop garbage. Flat & uninspired.

It's like Rush meets Lady Gaga. Ick

Archived