it's official now...

liddybuck01

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is NO way to improve on the original. I too find her version flat and uninspiring.

QUOTE (Ranger J @ Nov 24 2010, 12:58 AM)
That is absolute filth.

What the f*** is wrong with pop stars today - out to make a quick buck regardless of who's song they obliterate in the process. Spineless bastards!

Covering Rush, no matter how much you change the song, is not a way to make a 'quick buck'. This version may not be any good (I think it sound silly), but I believe she meant nothing but respect for the band when she chose to do this.

That is absolute filth.

What the f*** is wrong with pop stars today - out to make a quick buck regardless of who's song they obliterate in the process. Spineless bastards!

Did you say the same when Rush released Feedback 062802puke_prv.gif

And 2.gif never did any cover verions in their early days either did they?

Once a song is in the public domain, then it's fair game.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Nov 24 2010, 06:31 PM)
That is absolute filth.

Covering Rush, no matter how much you change the song, is not a way to make a 'quick buck'. This version may not be any good (I think it sound silly), but I believe she meant nothing but respect for the band when she chose to do this.

Too right. If anyone is going to try and make a quick buck off a Rush song then it'd have to be Tom Sawyer to stand any chance.

Score: A Hockey Musical-I'm still laughing. Hockey paired with music is something that makes little sense to me. I'm picturing the scene from Mary Poppins with the chimney sweeps though their dressed as the Buffalo Sabres, they are dancing on a zamboni, and this tripe is playing in the background. PLEASE, SOMEONE MAKE IT STOP!!!

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Nov 24 2010, 05:31 AM)
That is absolute filth.

goodpost.gif

Okay, confession: I LIKE Nelly Furtado (I also like the other Nelly, but that's a different story). I like her voice and probably have a few songs of hers hanging around on my MP3 player. She's not a bad singer by any means.

And not even all covers are bad (Shiny Toy Guns did a wonderful cover of "Major Tom (Coming Home)" for a Lincoln commercial), but that one..? No. No thank you. Covering Rush, in general, is a bad idea. They have such a unique sound that no one can match it, and if you try to revamp it, it falls flat and sounds just plain wrong. I certainly doubt she was trying to make a "quick buck" (Furtado is famous; she doesn't need to try and emulate others). More than likely, she was just trying to give tribute to another Canadian artist.

So I wouldn't be so hard on her... Just discourage her from, and everyone else, from trying to do another Rush cover!

It doesnt suck that bad, and no I'm not a Nelly F fan either. The song was eventually gonna be covered by some chick anyway, after all it has a chick singing on the original track and it is quite a pop-oriented song to begin with.

rule of pop music: if you write a pop song and it is popular, it will be covered by another pop artist someday.

Archived