Rush 2011 Tour Ticket Fiasco

weathers

QUOTE (fonzbear2000 @ Nov 23 2010, 08:14 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Nov 23 2010, 07:59 AM)
Unfortunately their touring days are numbered, and once their touring days are over there's only limited money they can earn after that on media. Make no mistake about it. They are bucking for retirement money while their earning potential still exists. I can't blame the boys, really...

That's bullshit because they could EASILY retire right now with all the money they have.

Really? Sounds like you have some inside info. How much money do they have?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (moidoid @ Nov 23 2010, 08:24 PM)
I must admit that I was a little shocked at the price of a ticket in the front blocks - so I decided not to go.

I've seen the boys loads of times - I'll be seeing Maiden for the first time in 30 years around then too and cash will be a bit tight.

The point is - if the market will bear it then, like everything else, you pay it or you don't. The band don't owe us a cheap deal, although I think they should have given the paperless ticketing a go or limited numbers of tickets bought by one person to stop the profiteering by touts.

As a show it will be well worth the money - just not for ME right now. We all make our choices and they may well sell out at that price. I personally would have paid much more than that when they came back for the R30 tour. Tho' I won't be there I know that everyone who does go will have a f*@%ing great time!

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Nov 23 2010, 08:25 PM)
Unfortunately their touring days are numbered, and once their touring days are over there's only limited money they can earn after that on media. Make no mistake about it. They are bucking for retirement money while their earning potential still exists. I can't blame the boys, really...

That's bullshit because they could EASILY retire right now with all the money they have.

It really doesn't take inside info to figure out that after nearly 40 years of recording and touring, the boys probably could live out the rest of their lives pretty comfortably without having to work again.

But, honestly, how much money they have is THEIR business, not ours. I don't begrudge them one penny...and I have spent thousands and thousands and thousands over the years. They make me happy, and I love to see them, so I pay and I go as often as my pocketbook will allow. If I can't afford it, I won't go. But, it's important to me, so I find a way to see them at least once a tour no matter how strapped for cash I am.

And really, Rush's ticket prices aren't as bad as some. I know U2 tickets were really high priced (kept me from going), Roger Waters tickets are outrageous, and last February I spent over $100 a ticket for NOSEBLEED seats at Billy Joel/Elton John in Salt Lake City. Seriously, you couldn't get much higher up than we were...I was lightheaded from lack of oxygen at that elevation. laugh.gif It was obviously worth it to me or I would not have gone. I spent $100 a ticket for Rush this last tour in SLC, and had some pretty decent seats in the second section back from the stage on Alex's side.

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Nov 24 2010, 12:22 PM)

It really doesn't take inside info to figure out that after nearly 40 years of recording and touring, the boys probably could live out the rest of their lives pretty comfortably without having to work again.

But, honestly, how much money they have is THEIR business, not ours. I don't begrudge them one penny...and I have spent thousands and thousands and thousands over the years. They make me happy, and I love to see them, so I pay and I go as often as my pocketbook will allow. If I can't afford it, I won't go. But, it's important to me, so I find a way to see them at least once a tour no matter how strapped for cash I am.

And really, Rush's ticket prices aren't as bad as some. I know U2 tickets were really high priced (kept me from going), Roger Waters tickets are outrageous, and last February I spent over $100 a ticket for NOSEBLEED seats at Billy Joel/Elton John in Salt Lake City. Seriously, you couldn't get much higher up than we were...I was lightheaded from lack of oxygen at that elevation. laugh.gif It was obviously worth it to me or I would not have gone. I spent $100 a ticket for Rush this last tour in SLC, and had some pretty decent seats in the second section back from the stage on Alex's side.

I agree. Like anything, if it is important enough to you, you make a sacrifice elsewhere. (Obviously there are exceptions - we've heard from unemployed folks on this board who weren't attending ANY concerts). For example, I took a short third-shift project for my company, in addition to my regular duties, because it had a per diem rate that covered my ticket costs and then some.

Skipping a few nights of eating out might do the trick for a lot of people. I know I'm simplifying a little - I am not saying you need to forego essentials like, say, the power bill - but hey, there's some truth here.

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Nov 24 2010, 11:22 AM)

actually.... after Neil's family tragedy he asked his accountants how long he could live financially without working at his current spending. He was told about 10 years, then he'd be pretty much broke. While it was a desire to make music again with Vapor Trails, it was also a desire to make money again. He spoke about it in his "Ghost Rider" book.

I would agree with most of the comments - cost of flying the equipment over, small number of dates etc puts the price up.

Also, if you don't think it's good value - don't go!

I do think that it is a legitimate gripe that ticket sales should be restricted to 4 per person to give more people a chance of getting a ticket and reduce the scope for touting although I don't know how much influence RUSH or their management have over the way tickets are issued.

QUOTE (nebbish @ Nov 23 2010, 12:45 PM)
Got Block A for Newcastle cool.gif
Sorted for 02 Dublin too 12th row back centre (a contact at the promoters wink.gif )

Prices are ridiculous!!! unsure.gif ph34r.gif

2.gif

Well done!

Looking forward to a quiet, relaxing train journey and a cup of tea before the concert!

QUOTE (irish_matt @ Nov 24 2010, 11:32 AM)
QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Nov 24 2010, 11:22 AM)

actually.... after Neil's family tragedy he asked his accountants how long he could live financially without working at his current spending. He was told about 10 years, then he'd be pretty much broke. While it was a desire to make music again with Vapor Trails, it was also a desire to make money again. He spoke about it in his "Ghost Rider" book.

But, they have significantly increased their income in the last 8 years, what with some extremely successful tours, successful albums, and the more recent resurgence in their popularity. Might not have been able to "retire years ago," but I am sure they could now.

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 24 2010, 11:29 AM)

I agree. Like anything, if it is important enough to you, you make a sacrifice elsewhere. (Obviously there are exceptions - we've heard from unemployed folks on this board who weren't attending ANY concerts). For example, I took a short third-shift project for my company, in addition to my regular duties, because it had a per diem rate that covered my ticket costs and then some.

Skipping a few nights of eating out might do the trick for a lot of people. I know I'm simplifying a little - I am not saying you need to forego essentials like, say, the power bill - but hey, there's some truth here.

And this is why Mara is among my very favorite people on the Board. She is consistantly the voice of reason. When she chides someone (often me!), it always very gently and her comments are thoughtful.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Nov 24 2010, 03:52 PM)

And this is why Mara is among my very favorite people on the Board. She is consistantly the voice of reason. When she chides someone (often me!), it always very gently and her comments are thoughtful.

What if you can't afford to ever eat out?

Music shouldn't be about the MONEY. Heck the Hippies may have stunk like decaying flesh, but they were right to want the music free. Music should increase the soul, not the Balance Sheet.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Nov 24 2010, 04:52 PM)

wub.gif Lotsa love back atcha, Rob! I always look forward to your SOCN posts.

Back to your regularly scheduled gripefest:

Music shouldn't "enrich the balance sheet"? Seriously? I love my job, but I am not doing it for nothing just for the feel-good vibes. (And it's not going to make me a wealthy person any time soon, I assure you).

So Rush (or any music act) should tour with the end goal of only breaking even? confused13.gif

After this year's Time Machine tour, more than you could ever imagine. Actually, I'm quite sure they've been VERY rich for a long time now. Of course none of know how much money they actually have, but I find it VERY hard to believe that they haven't had MORE than enough to retire any time they wanted in the last 20 years.

It's at this point when I really, REALLY wish I could afford to visit my friends in the UK. But it sounds like getting there might work out to be less expensive than tickets to a show (ok, I'm exaggerating but...).

If I could weigh in on the whole "music ought to be free" idea.... I have to agree with Mara on it. Look, this is what Rush does for a living. It's what we pay them to do. Why should they not make a profit from it? That just doesn't make any sense. Yes, ticket prices have gone up but so has everything else. When you figure in wages and expenses for the crew, moving the equipment (and maintaining it), transporting all the people and equipment, insurance... the expenses of a major tour are massive. I recall when Genesis toured in 2007 (my other must-see band), the solvency report came about halfway into the N. American leg of the tour. That was app. 30 shows before a profit could be realized - up to then, all gate went to pay for the tour. We're talking astronomical bucks to mount a tour. And nobody should make a profit from it? Um... no.

All of you in the UK and Ireland (and beyond), I hope you enjoy this show as much as we did. It is a terrific set list and the boys are playing brilliantly. Just remember to post pics and video for us to enjoy, if you can. trink39.gif