Very Expensive

StuartBruce

QUOTE (Roger Goldsmith @ Nov 26 2010, 09:27 AM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Nov 26 2010, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (timbo13 @ Nov 26 2010, 09:01 AM)
Good luck with reporting those personal attacks, Finding IT. I've tried to report a number of offensive comments I've read today across the whole Time Machine Tour area (not directed at me, but to others including the wholly unpleasant Jean Simmons thread), only to be told on each occasion that there was an error and my report could not be processed.

I can't speak for others but I, for one, AM Oxford-educated. Trinity College, to be exact.

How about all parties wind their necks in? Enough with the mud-slinging. it's hardly a great advert for international relations, is it?

Very nice. Our admin, (1001001) is usually on top of these kinds of things but he may be travelling or with this family.

Our admin... oh I see, its your forum now

exactly what we are on about...

oh mummy mummy, those big boys are being nasty to me.

your too stupid to realise how pathetic you sound

since we're done sorry trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Roger Goldsmith @ Nov 26 2010, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 26 2010, 08:48 AM)
QUOTE (Roger Goldsmith @ Nov 26 2010, 09:26 AM)
QUOTE (Jean Simmons @ Nov 26 2010, 08:15 AM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Nov 26 2010, 07:41 AM)
Wow, I am guessing we aren't exactly drawing the Oxford educated crowd, here.

Iron Maiden might have more fans than Rush in some backwater, but worldwide but Rush has significantly more total album sales worldwide.

OK, so explain to me this how is 40,000,000 (estimated Rush worldwide album sales) greater than 85,000,000 (estimated Iron Maiden worldwide album sales?

Iron Maiden have a substantially greater following in such backwater countries as India for example, I'm sure you'd include India as being a backwater country.

I like Rush more than Iron Maiden, but I don't like pig ignorance and blind devotion.

I would suggest that you are hardly Harvard or Yale educated, more likely San Dimas Community College.

Jean,,, well said,,, you just cant beat american ignorance...

the same way they throw their weight around all over the world,, sticking their noses in where its not wanted ( no pun intended findingit )

He goes on about Rush as if the are american,,, they are Canadien,,,, and the ironic thing here is Canadiens cannot stand americans and rush are fleecing the yanks left right and center and laughing at them all the way to the bank...

What the f**k is --------->",,,,,"????

banghead.gif

its called a comma lardarse

That's a personal attack. Don't you read the rules. sarcasm.gif

I can certainly understand the angst over ticket prices for the European shows. Being an old time Rush fan who has the stubs from my first Rush concert that cost $6.00 back in 1977, I think all things are too expensvie. I have undoubtably become my father as much as I swore I wouldn't. "Coke was a nickel!"

In the US this past summer many tours folded up and canceled, even popular ones like the American Idol tour and other normally sold out events geared towards youth that extract parents dollars for such events. Times are tough. It's a fact that many artists are faced with no album sales and other streams of money that the tours actual (previous) purpose of acting as a promotion are now in question as economically feasable.

There are undoubtably other factors entered in with determing the cost factors involved in overseas tours as well, given the immense expense of travel and security for such a large show. The fluxuating value of the dollar vs the euro can even effect pricing.

But ultimately, Rush is gambling that the venues will sell enough tickets to turn a profit and if they don't, and especially if pricing subdues attendance they also stand to lose money where as consumers we don't. I like to "fancy" that band really enjoys touring Europe and those venues and if they can tour and turn a profit, and enable a long time loyal fan base to see them for possibly the last time, (who knows?), I am would support them for trying. I tend to side with the band on the pricing since ultimately I am not privy to their balance sheet.

So, like anything else, it's a choice we make tied into the value we percieve from the money. If the concerts sell out, then I can't say they were too expensive as was the case with my $80 tickets in Columbus, Ohio this tour. And maybe I am just a huge leming fanboy, which is my right, that pays them more homage than they are due, but damn, if that's the case I've been doing it for 33 years and dont regret a penny of the money I spent on over 40 shows and tend to lament not spending more, and would if given the chance to go back. And, you know what? My dad bought Coke his whole life.

Edited by Running Rebel

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Nov 26 2010, 11:44 AM)

But ultimately, Rush is gambling that the venues will sell enough tickets to turn a profit and if they don't, and especially if pricing subdues attendance they also stand to lose money where as consumers we don't.

Do you seriously think thats how it works mate ?

Rush are GUARANTEED their fee just like any band is. They could play to half full arenas everywhere and still get the same fee as if it was sold out. It makes no difference to them at all.

Promoters are the ones who take the risks not the artists.

I can certainly understand the angst over ticket prices for the European shows. Being an old time Rush fan who has the stubs from my first Rush concert that cost $6.00 back in 1977, I think all things are too expensvie. I have undoubtably become my father as much as I swore I wouldn't. "Coke was a nickel!"

In the US this past summer many tours folded up and canceled, even popular ones like the American Idol tour and other normally sold out events geared towards youth that extract parents dollars for such events. Times are tough. It's a fact that many artists are faced with no album sales and other streams of money that the tours actual previous purpose of acting as a promotion are now question economically.

There are undoubtably other factors entered in with determing the cost factors involved in overseas tours as well, given the immense expense of travel and security for such a large show. The fluxuating value of the dollar vs the euro can even effect pricing.

But ultimately, Rush is gambling that the venues will sell enough tickets to turn a profit and if they don't, and especially if pricing subdues attendance they also stand to lose money where as consumers we don't. I like to "fancy" that band really enjoys touring Europe and those venues as if they can tour and turn a profit, and enabling a long time loyal fan base to see them for possibly the last time, (who knows?), I tend to side with the band on the pricing since ultimately I am not privy to their balance sheet.

So, like anything else, it's a choice we make tied into the value we percieve from the money. If the concerts sell out, then I can't say they were too expensive as was the case with my $80 tickets in Columbus, Ohio this tour. And maybe I am just a huge leming fanboy, which is my right, that pays them more homage than they are due, but damn, if that's the case I've been doing it for 33 years and dont regret a penny of the money I spent on over 40 shows and tend to lament not spending more, and would if given the chance to go back. And, you know what? My dad bought Coke his whole life.

Yes - what the argument really revolves around is - is the market value price for the shows "unfair". What lattitude does the band have to control the prices of tickets, especially with many of them being young.

I think in addition to supply and demand, it depends on the money the band expects to make, the actual cost of touring, the amount of total dates they will do, and the kind of deals they work wiht the promoters/venues etc.

QUOTE (AJ71 @ Nov 26 2010, 11:55 AM)

But ultimately, Rush is gambling that the venues will sell enough tickets to turn a profit and if they don't, and especially if pricing subdues attendance they also stand to lose money where as consumers we don't.

Do you seriously think thats how it works mate ?

Rush are GUARANTEED their fee just like any band is. They could play to half full arenas everywhere and still get the same fee as if it was sold out. It makes no difference to them at all.

Promoters are the ones who take the risks not the artists.

Thats how I understand it works now, the fee is pre-arranged. But still, the promoter doesnt want to lose money, so they price the tickets at what they feel the market will bear. As to whether thats "fair" - thats up to each person I guess.

As with most things, if the price is high, blame your neighbor whose willing to pay that price smile.gif

In the US this past summer many tours folded up and canceled, even popular ones like the American Idol tour and other normally sold out events geared towards youth that extract parents dollars for such events. Times are tough. It's a fact that many artists are faced with no album sales and other streams of money that the tours actual previous purpose of acting as a promotion are now question economically.

But ultimately, Rush is gambling that the venues will sell enough tickets to turn a profit and if they don't, and especially if pricing subdues attendance they also stand to lose money where as consumers we don't. I like to "fancy" that band really enjoys touring Europe and those venues as if they can tour and turn a profit, and enabling a long time loyal fan base to see them for possibly the last time, (who knows?), I tend to side with the band on the pricing since ultimately I am not privy to their balance sheet.

you could also buy a new car for $5,000 back then. I've only been going to concerts for the past 15 years or so, but I've always thought tickets were too expensive. If they come back to North America next year, I'm not sure I'll even be able to see them.