"Black Friday" shopping

Mara

Do you actually hit the stores on Black Friday?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actually hit the stores on Black Friday?

• Yes. I love the whole experience - it puts me in the "spirit"
    • Yes, but I dread it; love the bargains, hate the crowds and the parking
    • No; I don't mind missing a few deals to avoid the zoo
    • No. It's a form of torture to me - in fact, I am not leaving the house that day
    • No, not worth it; Cyber Monday is where it's at!
    • No, because I am hyper-organized and am already done.

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 20 2010, 03:07 AM)
Unfortunately, I have to leave the house - but not to shop. To work at Walmart that night wacko.gif

You have to check in at the earliest opportunity so we know you're alive and safe!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 19 2010, 10:56 AM)
I always thought sensible people stayed home and avoided the madness...

But just a few years back I learned even sensible people went out early and did it, for the remarkable sale prices. They even enjoy the insanity.

I personally have never done it, but my sister, my wife, and the husband in another couple we know - they all do it and like it!

One of my best girlfriends lives for Black Friday. I think she feels a sense of camaraderie or something. She likes the mayhem and it brings back fond memories of her youth. She said it was a tradition in her family to shop on Black Friday.

I have found that I enjoy shopping during weekdays when people are at work and kids are in school and I have the place to myself. The husband always takes the week of Thanksgiving off and come Monday (the 22nd) I am planning to get most of my Christmas shopping done.

On our local radio news there was a brief story about a woman who is already camping out at Best Buys, hoping to score an iMac. eyesre4.gif

I guess that's one family that won't be having a traditional Thanksgiving. (Yes, she is married with kids). "Come on, kids, we need to scoot through the Arby's drive-in and take your mom her Thanksgiving dinner.

I basically don't participate in Consumer Day. My wife hates it, too. She was born on X-mas Eve, so it was always a rip-off for her.

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Nov 21 2010, 11:56 PM)
I basically don't participate in Consumer Day. My wife hates it, too. She was born on X-mas Eve, so it was always a rip-off for her.

It's worse if you're born on Christmas DAY...

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 20 2010, 02:44 AM)
Well?
I hate shopping, hate malls, and have done about half my shopping already.  Fortunately I have a small group to buy for. 

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than face down Black Friday shopping.  It brings out the absolute worst in people.

Crowds, shoving, & spending more money than you should...it's all part of the Christmas spirit!!! 1022.gif trink38.gif

Now if they could incorporate sticking needles in our eyes when we make our purchases then we'd REALLY have something magical!!! trink38.gif tongue.gif

I've yet to find anything in a Black Friday ad that would get me up early to freeze my ass off (it's supposed to be -3 that night) and fight people for an item. Even having kids, there was never anything that I couldn't wait to get during the week when peeps were at work.

I've already seen most of the stores' "leaked" Black Friday ads and there's nothing there to drag me out of a warm bed. no.gif

Here's my experiences... looking at all the big sale prices on Black Friday may lure people in, a couple years ago the PS3 deal at Best Buy really had me thinking about going. It came with an extra controller and a game... for the price of the standard PS3 at the time. I decided to wait and bought the same thing on Amazon, same price, but with 2 games! Black Friday is a joke. I am a pretty anal shopper. I do my research, watch prices and even haggle with the sellers if I don't like the price. All the price watching I have done has led me to conclude that Cyber Monday is almost always better, and if you're risking to gamble, the closer you get to Christmas, the better the prices get. A TV we were watching dropped every week leading up to Christmas... still didn't buy it then, might buy one this year!

I wouldn't risk getting trampled just to get something half price. I do all my shopping online. Much easier, similar deals, and no hassle.

The last few years, I've seen people camping out at Best Buy starting at 2pm on Thanksgiving Day!! They're nuts!!

My wife is out the door at 4:30 am every year. She loves going with her friend.

More power to her. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Natch @ Nov 22 2010, 02:15 PM)
I wouldn't risk getting trampled just to get something half price.

Why not?

Have you ever been trampled? Don't knock it till ya try it. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (garbo @ Nov 20 2010, 11:30 AM)

can buffalo be rabid?

While a Buffalo can not be rabid, they are able to swim at a slow pace and have been known to be able to jump in the air up to 8 feet high. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 20 2010, 06:53 PM)
On our local radio news there was a brief story about a woman who is already camping out at Best Buys, hoping to score an iMac. eyesre4.gif
I guess that's one family that won't be having a traditional Thanksgiving. (Yes, she is married with kids). "Come on, kids, we need to scoot through the Arby's drive-in and take your mom her Thanksgiving dinner.

I saw a blurb about that on my local news this morning

wacko.gif

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Nov 21 2010, 09:56 PM)

My husband's birthday is in early January and he has always hated it! Friends could rarely make his bday party because of snow, he rarely got presents (or "good" ones) because everyone was broke from Christmas OR they plain forgot. I don't mind too much and it sort of makes it easier for me because I buy his Xmas gifts AND bday gifts all together and split them up. He gets half for Xmas, half on his bday. This is expensive but I got smart this year and used my free Toys R Us gift cards that I used for the kids.

A friend of mine has a daughter whose bday is one week before Christmas. I'm sure they have the same issue. I feel sorry for kids with birthdays in December and January!

Aside from Black Friday I just want to say that it blows Wallmart and Sears are both open all day on Thanksgiving. That is bogus and totally unnecessary.

Give the people who work so hard for you a day to be with family. Its just disgusting to me.

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 23 2010, 02:15 PM)
Aside from Black Friday I just want to say that it blows Wallmart and Sears are both open all day on Thanksgiving. That is bogus and totally unnecessary.
Give the people who work so hard for you a day to be with family. Its just disgusting to me.

goodpost.gif

I totally agree with that! Especially seeing some places will be open at 2 or 3 am on Friday!!

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Nov 23 2010, 12:24 PM)

goodpost.gif

I totally agree with that! Especially seeing some places will be open at 2 or 3 am on Friday!!

Just my opinion, but it puts more focus on $$ and shopping and taking away from the want to be with family and friends on a special day. I'm all for giving workers Wed-Fri off.

Having said that... when I first moved to Seattle, I had just broken up with my boyfriend, had no friend here yet and had no family over here. I actually wanted to work! Happy ending though. I went for a big, long (felt like a total loser though) walk all around town and ended up passing by a homeless man camped out about one block away from my apartment. I went back to my place, made the only thing I had (box of mac n cheese) and took it to him and we shared that. Of all the Thanksgivings I've had, that one stands out as almost one of my favorites now.

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 23 2010, 03:44 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Nov 23 2010, 12:24 PM)

goodpost.gif

Just my opinion, but it puts more focus on $$ and shopping and taking away from the want to be with family and friends on a special day. I'm all for giving workers Wed-Fri off.

I would contend that the amount of shoppers on Thanksgiving day will be a low total and probably not worth the money to pay your workforce.

I'd like to see the numbers they do.

People love shopping Black Friday. People generally don't want to shop on Thanksgiving day, imo.

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 23 2010, 01:44 PM)

Having said that... when I first moved to Seattle, I had just broken up with my boyfriend, had no friend here yet and had no family over here. I actually wanted to work! Happy ending though. I went for a big, long (felt like a total loser though) walk all around town and ended up passing by a homeless man camped out about one block away from my apartment. I went back to my place, made the only thing I had (box of mac n cheese) and took it to him and we shared that. Of all the Thanksgivings I've had, that one stands out as almost one of my favorites now.

That is the best, best, best Thanksgiving story I've ever heard.

Way better, I'd say, than any deeply-discounted iPod or whatever! That's what Thanksgiving is about: sharing with other people and being thankful for just what you have, rather than "the day before the biggest shopping day of the year".

You've warmed my heart with that. ♥

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Nov 23 2010, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 23 2010, 01:44 PM)

That is the best, best, best Thanksgiving story I've ever heard.

Way better, I'd say, than any deeply-discounted iPod or whatever! That's what Thanksgiving is about: sharing with other people and being thankful for just what you have, rather than "the day before the biggest shopping day of the year".

You've warmed my heart with that. ♥

goodpost.gif

My mother works at Walmart and her usual shifts are Sun-Thurs. 7a-4p. She is working Thanksgiving day only until 10am and does not have to work Black Friday all while getting holiday pay. Still sucks she still even has to go in!

She worked it last year and you'd be surprised at how many people came in for last minute Thanksgiving stuff, or needing stupid things like a toothbrush they left at home for the long weekend. Then there are others who simply don't give a __ about the day and shop for whatever..

As for the woman camped out at Best Buy, just watch this:

Between the whole "firstness" issue and bashing a traditional Thanksgiving of time spent with family over a well earned, hard-cooked meal, this woman troubles me...

Archived