Which DIRECTOR can't you get into?

Presto-digitation

Not even necessarily that they're poor (or perhaps they are indeed that)...but at the very least you just don't see the appeal.

My vote is Wes Anderson. I know his humor is quirky and I'm all for that, but fecking God do his movies generally bore me. I did enjoy Rushmore, but not to the gushing praise that others have bestowed on it. I turned off Life Equatic. I think I just don't care...

Edited by Presto-digitation

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 17 2010, 09:45 AM)
Not even necessarily that they're poor (or perhaps they are indeed that)...but at the very least you just don't see the appeal.

My vote is Wes Anderson.  I know his humor is quirky and I'm all for that, but fecking God do his movies generally bore me.  I did enjoy Rushmore, but not to the gushing praise that others have bestowed on it.  I turned off Life Equatic.  I think I just don't care...

I totally agree with you. I enjoyed Rushmore and I actually love The Royal Tenenbaums, but after that... yuck. I think a lot of that is owed to the fact that Owen Wilson stopped co-writing the scripts. So, it just became bland, geometric filming.

I cannot stand David Lynch. I grew up watching Ingmar Bergman, Peter Greenaway, Jeunet/Caro, and then Merhige, so when I finally saw Lynch I felt like he was a total hack. No offense to anyone who likes him, he's just not my style at all, and it's not that I don't get him, can I just say pretentious much? My friend says it's because I tend to see a far more disturbing film before I see one of his films (i.e. I saw The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover before I saw Blue Velvet; I saw Begotten before I saw Eraserhead).

And as much as I love Tim Burton, he's my childhood, but he's not great. I just love him because he makes pretty movies (Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Big Fish). And that's basically it. But I still love his earlier movies.

Edited by garbo

Yeah, I agree on Burton too. I like some of his films quite well (Sleepy Hollow is my favorite of the lot), but his stuff is just so stylistically samey to me...that his style has lost the appeal it might've once had. Is it really special to look at when all his films have the same quality, even if not the same aesthetic? It stops being special. And you can really predict the films he'll make, too. Alice In Wonderland....that was just a joking guess of mine years ago and there he goes. I guess that makes his choices a bit predictable as well. Edited by Presto-digitation

Tim Burton. Enough! We get it!

Wes Craven, but only because I'm older than 25 and no longer watch "horror" movies. Otherwise, he's good at what he does.

Very seldom would I watch a movie because of the director. Only with Woody Allen, Kevin Smith, Spielberg, James Brooks, Albert Brooks... maybe a handful of others.

Another vote for Tim Burton. He's made a couple of good flicks, but mostly he makes me throw up in my mouth a little. 062802puke_prv.gif

Tarantino's another one. Too much unnecessary violence and style for the sake of style. No thanks.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (librarian @ Nov 17 2010, 01:51 PM)
I don't watch a lot of movies, but I gather Tarantino has issues...

He gets my vote

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 17 2010, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Nov 17 2010, 12:25 PM)
Absolutely despise Woody Allen.

eyesre4.gif

Yeah, I love the guy myself. Manhattan Murder Mystery is one of myn favs

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 17 2010, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 17 2010, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Nov 17 2010, 12:25 PM)

eyesre4.gif

Yeah, I love the guy myself. Manhattan Murder Mystery is one of myn favs

Of the 40 or so movies he's directed, I've seen about 30 of them!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 17 2010, 06:50 AM)
Kevin Smith. For the life of me, I don't understand what his minions are talking about, I just don't see it.

This! The same goes for Woody Allen.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Nov 17 2010, 11:25 AM)

Why? He has accessible humor. Do you just not like his quirky mannerisms?

I'd really like to know; He's probably my all time favorite director.

Quentin Tarantino.

Sorry, some of his stuff's just too weird for my likes!

As for Tim Burton... Love his original stuff. Love it to death. (Jack Skellington is my hero. Yes, I'm one of "those girls".) However, when he goes off to re-make something (Alice in Wonderland, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory..) I die a little inside. He needs to stick to what he's good at: His own stuff!

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Nov 17 2010, 10:17 PM)
Quentin Tarantino.
Sorry, some of his stuff's just too weird for my likes!

As for Tim Burton... Love his original stuff. Love it to death. (Jack Skellington is my hero. Yes, I'm one of "those girls".) However, when he goes off to re-make something (Alice in Wonderland, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory..) I die a little inside. He needs to stick to what he's good at: His own stuff!

1022.gif Sleepy Hollow. 1022.gif

I'll have to say M Night Shalyman. I liked a couple of his movies but for the most part they just don't catch my attention. I can't put my finger on why exactly.

QUOTE (BellaCheval @ Nov 17 2010, 11:24 PM)
I'll have to say M Night Shalyman. I liked a couple of his movies but for the most part they just don't catch my attention. I can't put my finger on why exactly.

Does this f*cker even have fans anymore, outside his mother?

I'm another person who just does not see the appeal of Tarantino. While I was admit that Resevoir Dogs was moderately entertaining, I found Pulp Fiction and What I've watched of the Kill Bill to be pretentious and incoherent