What Album Should I Get Next?

KidGloves

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Nov 16 2010, 03:29 AM)
Signals next. Then Roll The Bones.

no.gif no.gif no.gif

Roll the Bones can definitely wait. Perhaps even after buying the live and compilation CD's.

Really their VERY BEST work is from 1976 to 1982, and the only one you're missing there is Signals, so definitely there.

Of the remaining ones, I'd recommend in this order:

1. Rush

2. Fly By Night

3. Hold Your Fire

4. Counterparts

5. Power Windows

6. Caress of Steel

7. Snakes & Arrows

All of those above, however, are essential to get at some point, so you can't go wrong.

Presto is worthwhile for The Pass and Chain Lightning, but otherwise don't expect a great album. Roll the Bones is worth it for Dreamline, but otherwise you're really not getting your money's worth.

To avoid: Test For Echo and especially Vapor Trails. If, however, you're a completist like many of us, you won't be able to resist getting those as well, but save them for last.

I normally wouldn't recommend a compilation to people, but if you want to save your money on Presto, RTB, T4E and VT, just get Retrospective III and you'll get most of all you'll need from 1989 through 2002. The only post HYF albums that are worth getting on their own are Counterparts (1993) and Snakes & Arrows (2007)

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Nov 15 2010, 06:10 PM)
QUOTE (KidGloves @ Nov 15 2010, 07:11 PM)
New fan here. So far, I have Moving Pictures, Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings, 2112, Grace Under Pressure, and Permanent Waves. Which album should I get next? Which one would you highly recommend?

Atwas, asap!

Yep!! 1022.gif 653.gif 2.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

For me, I would seek out the albums that define each era of Rush. For the 80's sound, I'd have to say that Power Windows is a must. Great songs and the production kicks ass. I would also recommend getting the SHM-CD Japanese import as it has the best quality sound of any of the available versions. Actually I would say that about any of the available SHM Rush albums. Of course, if you're a real audio snob like me and have a good sound system, I'd take your time and spend the coin to get all the available MFSL (Mobile Sound Fidelity) Rush albums (just four of them available: 2112, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves and Signals). See me raving like a madman about them in another post! smile.gif

Good call with Signals. I'm working on finishing my collection. They're all worth the money you pay for them, (maybe except self-titled, my opinion) and they are extremely diverse. Every time you buy something, you get a new genre of Rush!

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Nov 18 2010, 01:18 AM)
Good call with Signals. I'm working on finishing my collection. They're all worth the money you pay for them, (maybe except self-titled, my opinion) and they are extremely diverse. Every time you buy something, you get a new genre of Rush!

Hey man, you aren't following the instructions to the self-titled. "For best results, play at maximum volume."

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Nov 20 2010, 07:16 AM)
SIGNALS.  Then continue to go backward in the catalogue and youll have what you need.

1974-1985

Naah, throw in p/g and Power Windows.

RUSH>Power Windows

A complete set.

1987 and HYF started the second phase of the band that lasted until 1992.

With Counterparts in 1994 to the present with the two new tracks, we are in the third phase of Rush.

Rush>Power Windows

Hold Your Fire>Roll The Bones

Counterparts>Clockwork Angels

Archived