Best year/worst year of your life

circumstantial tree

What was the best year of your life and the worst year of your life. Why? Divulge on whatever you feel comfortable with.

The best years of my life are a toss up between 2000 and 2002 - simply because they were the years when my two children were born.

Probably the worst year was 1988 when my brother died. Believe it or not, probably the last time I went out anywhere with him was to Birmingham NEC to see Rush on the HYF tour

hard to say what my best years are. 1987 and 1989 were good years though.

My worst year was definitely 1984. Someone I felt close to moved away and I took it so hard I started having suicidal thoughts. I changed schools, each were radically different. I stopped going to a church that I was a member of for 10 years and went to a completely different denomination. Early 1984 and late 1984 shows absolutely no resemblance in my life whatsoever. Lots of change in my life that year.

Best years would be 1998 - 2001 inclusive, beginning with the year my first son was born. He was a dream-child, a golden boy, the most precious thing in the world. Then his brother came along, and I was a stay-at-home-mom. Bliss.

Worst: 2002, beginning with May 13. The day we got the autism diagnosis.

Worst -2003 Everything was crashing around me and i felt like i was going to end up with nothing.

Best -2006 & 2008 The years my little Zakk and Noelle were born

I'd say 1987 -1988 was probably my best year...left for college, on my own, feeling good, conquer the world, cool as hell.

I'd say the day my son was born in 1995 was the single most thrilling DAY of my life, but the year in and of it self...meh.

My darkest year was probably 1998-1999 after I separated from my husband. I was a mess. Not so much that I was leaving him, that was good. Being on my own with my then very little boy, who had been diagnosed with autism earlier that year, no job, no money. THAT was scary. And when I could get away, I went and did some stupid sh*t.

Best - 2002. Decent job that I hadn't started to hate yet (that came about two years later) with good income, moved in with husband to be, few real worries.

Worst - a tossup between 1995 and 2008. I spent much of '95 in a state of paralyzing depression. I was so far out of it I didn't even consider going to see about meds or anything. 2008 we were out of $$$ for most of the year and husband & I were constantly stressing over it. And that is the year my sister died. For that reason, it edges out 1995 by a hair.

Best:

2005 - I met the perfect girl.

and she liked me too biggrin.gif

now we're married.

Worst:

June 2003 - Nov 2004

My brother committed suicide in June 2003 and my wife of 13 years had an affair and left me and our two girls in August of 2004.

(Turns out the divorce was the best thing that could ever happen as it allowed me my best year in 2005. smile.gif )

Best: Fall 2009 to now - I met so many wonderful new people, expanded my musical tastes and I saw Rush for the first time in August. biggrin.gif

Worst: Early 2000 - Late 2002 - My dad was diagnosed with cancer in 2000 (He's cancer free now, thank god), the lingering fear of terrorism in 2001 and we got kicked out of our house in 2002. Mind you, this all happened when I was ages 7 to 9. sad.gif

It's been getting much better since we moved though. I couldn't be happier with my life as it is right now. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 1287.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've had a lot of good years, but 2010's been pretty amazing:

- Went to Chicago with my school's band

- Got a 28 on the ACT

- Went to a language camp up in Minnesota.. yay Spanish!

- High school basketball team won State Championship

- Had an amazing, AMAZING Mission Trip in North Dakota.. lots of tears, new friends, and basically an incredible, spiritual experience

- Saw Kansas, Styx, and Foreigner all in the same night for FREE

- Went to go see RUSH for the first time!

- Admitted to my dream university, Univ-Nebraska at Lincoln

- Went to a Sci-Fi con and then an Anime convention, both of which were a blast

- I'm a senior!! That automatically makes life awesome

As for my worst year.. hm.. Well, my Sophomore year was pretty miserable. Miserable home life, caused some grades to drop and a lot of trips to my counselor, but I'm glad things cheered up after that. I've learned that things can only get better. In the end, that which hasn't killed me makes me stronger.

Worst-end of 1999toend of 2000.,spliy up with wife,and stuff.

A couple of bumps in'10.

best..Aug,06!!,got together with my present GF. Saw Rush 1st time on the S&A tour both times. 07-08.

I now have the best woman I have ever been with. Plus she kind of likes Rush too.. understatement of the year. tongue.gif Finding this place is a plus too. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Worst: 1998, hospitalized and diagnosed with diabetes, all while having no health insurance. Suffice it to say, huge financial loss which worried me far more than the chronic illness I'd have for the rest of my life.

Best: Used to think this was 2007 or '08 or '09 - got heavily into a band (not a huge one, but one some might know), and within months, had met them. Over the next few years, this turned into following them all over the country, meet and greets, after parties, private shows...the dream groupie life. But along with this comes realizing your idols are not necessarily people you want to look up to. That, and their staff and (increasingly over time) other fans treated me like s**t, making the whole scene unbearable after a while. And it had been a huge chunk of my life. I didn't know what would fill the void.

2007 was also great because my BF and I got together that year, but it was also the year I lost my job. Now I have one where I don't make enough to pay my bills, and don't see that changing anytime soon. "More like spirit of bankruptcy", indeed. So, 2007 was both a great year, but one where things started to turn sour.

So here we are in '10, with my situation looking bleaker all the time, and me having decided to forego seeing the other band entirely so BF and I could a) afford vacation next month, not that I really can, and b ) go to see Rush this past September. So when I heard the other band did four songs this summer they've either never or rarely done live, after not changing their setlist much the past few years, I was kicking myself. And then it looked like our vacation next month wasn't going to happen. These were some of the few things in my drab life I'd had to look forward to. I really didn't know how far down I was getting, because I was so numb, but when we went to see Rush Sept. 2nd, I felt like I was being woken up from the dead. And my priorities changed hugely. I no longer cared what we'd missed with the other band.

And in a way, it's sort of a good thing that Rush is not a band you can easily get close to and meet and hang out with, because I don't want to get my bubble burst again (although, I've learned not to expect what I expected before), and I don't want to deal with fierce competition between fans for a band's affection anymore.

Rush have simply given me something to hang onto when things were looking hopeless. If nothing else, they seem to understand and appreciate that sometimes all you have is the strength of having lived through all the tough times (and that's enough to at least keep you moving, possibly to a better place a ways down the road). I love that they seem to relate to that. So for that reason, I want to believe this has been my best year. But then, it could be next year. Or one in my future. And believe me, I haven't been that hopeful for a while.

Best years - 92 - 96

Worst year ( made worst in one weekend) 1988 - near fatal high speed car accident that left me with a handicap for life. This took place on August 12th. My father traveled two hours to bring me home from the hospital I was in on August 13th.

He died on August 14th. rose.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 18 2010, 10:11 AM)
Best years - 92 - 96

Worst year ( made worst in one weekend) 1988 - near fatal high speed car accident that left me with a handicap for life. This took place on August 12th. My father traveled two hours to bring me home from the hospital I was in on August 13th.

how are you these days?

my best years were 1997 - 2000, i was in college, I did a semester on the college program at Disney world, had some great friends, Swing dancing twice a week,, i was a hit with the Ladies because i could dance,, never worried about money

2003 was the worst, just bad an stressful

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 18 2010, 09:11 AM)
Best years - 92 - 96

Oh, tick, I'm so sorry... sad.gif hug2.gif hug2.gif

hmm, hard to pick best and worst years. The carefree days when I was 10-12 back in the mid to late 70's all I did was play baseball and life was easy for a kid. 15 and 16 were fun, as were 18-20.

In 1997 my twin girls were born but that was a hard year and The late 90's were hard for me cuz of my job, borderline depression for me. Me and my wife traveled alot before the kids were born and not so much after it .

1995 was a great year cuz we were newly married and Money was good.

Havent really had a good or great year in about 10 years or so but life is ok, I'm enjoying the little things in life, like a good album or a good hike on a warm summer day or hanging out with loved ones.

the older you get, you seem to have less exciting days and more just average days, nothing bad or great, just average. You gotta make your own good days, ya know.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Nov 15 2010, 05:27 PM)

now we're married.

wait....

HUH?????????????????????????

unsure.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Nov 19 2010, 07:32 AM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Nov 15 2010, 05:27 PM)

now we're married.

wait....

HUH?????????????????????????

unsure.gif

Ok, well not actually, but after living together for over 4 years it seems like we are.

Worst Year: 2003...depression, loss of 2 relatives, totaled my first car after only having it for 2 weeks...lots of things.

Best Year: 2010 without a doubt. Got married to my wonderful and loving wife, Sarah, and had my first child, Ethan, just last month. smile.gif Oh yeah...and the Time Machine Tour gets an honerable mention, as well yes.gif

Best Year- 1989, The year that my son was born. He completely changed my life to the good.

Worst Year-1987 My roommate Od'd, I was struggling with my own addiction, and the man that I was helplessly and completely in love with had rejected me. I wanted to die, but was too afraid to kill myself so was slowly killing myself with drugs.

Archived