Official Joe Bonamassa Thread

Maverick

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 31 2012, 07:53 PM)
WOW, recent discovery for myself as well.. heard of him after listening to BCC... this guy is beyond stellar....It seems almost every time I go into a record store, or put in a CD order in Amazon I tend to pick up another by this guy...

I got a good mix right now of his stuff..

His first 2 albums
- A New Day Yesterday
-So, It's Like That

2 Newer (including the latest)

- The Ballad of John Henry
- Driving Towards the Daylight

..and a Live

- Live from Nowhere in Particular

Love em all.

You have a great start there.

I would also highly recommend Sloe Gin, You and Me, and Dust Bowl.

But I would recommend any album of his.

His Royal Albert Hall DVD/CD is a career pinnacle for him. And his Rockpalast DVD is nothing less than stunning. It is probably some of the best guitar playing I've ever seen.

Okay something is bothering me... and I feel a bit stupid..

I do like how in the live versions of JB songs how he will throw in a short riff from another song from another artist... well, I was re-listening to "Live from no where in particular" again yesterday and could not pin down the slow bluesy riff right at the end of that version of "If Heartaches were Nickels" (from 3:23-3:43)... recognize that riff, but I cannot think of what it is... Im gonna feel stupid once someone tells me, but for the life of me I can't think of what it is and it's annoying the hell out of me.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 4 2012, 10:26 PM)

I do like how in the live versions of JB songs how he will throw in a short riff from another song from another artist... well, I was re-listening to "Live from no where in particular" again yesterday and could not pin down the slow bluesy riff right at the end of that version of "If Heartaches were Nickels" (from 3:23-3:43)... recognize that riff, but I cannot think of what it is... Im gonna feel stupid once someone tells me, but for the life of me I can't think of what it is and it's annoying the hell out of me.

I Want You/She's So Heavy from Abbey Road.

QUOTE (Sheldon Cooper @ Sep 5 2012, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 4 2012, 10:26 PM)

I Want You/She's So Heavy from Abbey Road.

Thank You....that was bothering the hell out of me.

New Acoustic live album/DVD/Blu-Ray coming out...

"An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House"

Out on Mar. 26

http://s.recordshopx.com/cover/normal/3/34/345196.jpg?lp

There's a trailer as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL7WY5rI6HQ

Edit to add.... I couldn't find an official track listing, but this is the setlist from the show in Vienna where the show was recorded via Setlest.fm... so I assume this will be the tracklisting as well.

Edited by The Owl
  • Like 2

He's officially done with BCC. Recent comment:

As far as I’m concerned, my involvement is pretty much done, and I’ll tell you why: Originally, I did it for the same reasons I did the stuff with Beth Hart and Rock Candy Funk Party—it was an excuse to play a different kind of music that I don’t get to play normally.

The first two records were a blast—the band is fantastic when the Ritalin kicks in, the ADD goes away, and everyone’s focused. It’s a devastatingly good rock band of the early-1970s type, and Glenn is a fantastic singer—just one of the best ever. So I did it and did a nine-week tour in 2011 that really, by the end of it, wasn’t fun for me. It wasn’t because I didn’t like the cats in the band, but it was just too much—too much involved in getting people from place to place and getting the band onstage. Everybody seemed to be very tense, and it made my crew very tense, and it’s not the way I like to tour. I run a family—I have 21 people who go on the road with me all the time, and if you asked them who was the cause of the least of their problems, they would say me. Unless there was no Diet Coke—then it’s a huge [expletive] problem, and either I’m going to the supermarket or somebody else is [laughs].

But it just wasn’t fun for me anymore. All the stuff that Glenn says in the media, essentially pinning it on me—that I was the reason for the band’s lack of touring and the band’s lack of future. It became rapidly not fun at all. It would be dishonest of me to get onstage and pretend like I’m having fun to please the band. I’m just not the guitar player for that band, but unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be any out-of-work guitar players in L.A. that they can get. There are so many guys that can fill that role and I would be the first guy to queue up and buy a ticket. So that’s my story with it. I’m happily not involved anymore, but I’m happy with the legacy that I left with that band and happy with the records we made. It was a great three years for me.

So all the recent BCC posts on Facebook are just someone blowing smoke, I suppose. That kinda sucks. They could still be a great band with a different guitar player. Joe's playing is great, but not indispensable, especially the way he plays with them. Someone could fill-in, even replace.

Well l was planning to see Joe on his UK tour in September.......................until I saw the price of tickets which for best seats are £80 plus. Sorry, Joe but I ain't paying that. Rush tix were expensive but the production kinda softens the blow, but Joe doesn't have much of a production. Madness.

Out on Mar. 26

Edit to add.... I couldn't find an official track listing, but this is the setlist from the show in Vienna where the show was recorded via Setlest.fm... so I assume this will be the tracklisting as well.

:bump:

Looks like I'll be headed out to the closest rekkid store looking for this!

Downloaded the CD's' on Tunes this past Saturday. This is a seriously good live album.

If you pause the video @ 3:45-ish, you can see my name written on his guitar. There is some kid out in the middle of the country somewhere with my name who gave Joe a guitar a couple of years ago. It's great to see him playing it on such a great song.

:LOL:

Out on Mar. 26

:bump:

Looks like I'll be headed out to the closest rekkid store looking for this!

My Dad calls me last week and demands I put on PBS. it was that show...he thought Joe was the best thing since sliced bread. Great concert, great band

My Dad calls me last week and demands I put on PBS. it was that show...he thought Joe was the best thing since sliced bread. Great concert, great band

I'm definitely getting the DVD tomorrow.

This is such a strong show. The songs are great, the arrangements are great, the performances are spectacular. The best part about it is that it has made me go back through his catalog and re-listen to the original studio versions. And I really like how he paid homage to the original version of Mountain Time, although the way he normally plays it now is superior.

Mine got here this afternoon. I'm 5 songs in, and damn, it is a lot better than I was expecting! Up tempo songs, horns like Chicago blues, really good songs. And here I was prepared to have bought it, but never listen to it.

:LOL:

I didn't like Driving Toward the Daylight that much. Just seemed like everything after The Ballad of John Henry was just ok. But now I'm on the last song of this new rekkid, a real Ray Charles type gospel number, and it is just awesome! Great album from beginning to end, and that last song is a perfect ending.
  • Like 1