Nick R. Said What I've Been Saying Forever

presto123

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Nov 12 2010, 08:30 AM)
QUOTE (PariahDog @ Nov 12 2010, 12:12 AM)
Rush will never be able to please everyone.  They wrote a melodic, acoustic-oriented album with S&A, and some folks said it was "slow and boring."  Now with Caravan and BU2B they've written two upbeat, higher-energy songs, and some say it's "too heavy" or "not melodic enough." confused13.gif

One thing for sure, though:  anyone who has a problem with the lyrics of BU2B is probably not going to like CA.  That seems to be the direction the story is headed, unless Neil becomes "born again" in the next few weeks. tongue.gif  Might as well plan on spending that $12 on, I dunno, lunch at Applebee's or a 1/3 tank of gas. confused13.gif tongue.gif

you think the rest of the album is going to be more of the same from neil? i'm trying not to jump the gun and we'll have to see how it unfolds. we're not off to a good start though. also i have no problem saving my $12 and spending it on chinese food if neil is going to be rambling on more. tongue.gif

laugh.gif I feel the same way. You know they've hit bottom when Chinese food is more enlightening.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 12 2010, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 11 2010, 12:20 PM)
I have said it before , if the 2 new songs are a blueprint for the rest of the album, this will be a great album . If they made another S&A, i would be pissed

With you on that one. I like what Nick said and have basically felt that for the last 20 years, but I sure hope he wasnt referring to S&A, but rather just the new album.

S&A sounded very dated to me, and was not very adventurous at all. It's not that I need Rush to go back to writing 10 minute songs and trying to write Moving Pictures Part 2, but forget about writing safe songs, do what you do best. I heard a tiny bit of this on Vapor Trails, with songs like Freeze, interesting structures, odd time signatures, epic sounding chorus...

I really think that heading into the 90s Geddy just wanted to get down to writing simple songs, which was ok for a time but it's gone on way too long. I really hope that the new album is just odd sounding, no lame filler songs, just go nuts like this is the last time you'll ever get to write an album as Rush. Let it all out.

Best post of the thread and EXACTLY what my original thread post echoes. I don't want them to try and repeat ANY record from the past. But just go back to being adventurous again and quit playing it safe in the songwriting department. It IS almost like they have been trying to write a radio hit for the last 15 years. Go back to doing what you do best and that is letting it hang out musicianship wise.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 12 2010, 12:10 PM)
I have said it before , if the 2 new songs are a blueprint for the rest of the album, this will be a great album . If they made another S&A, i would be pissed

With you on that one. I like what Nick said and have basically felt that for the last 20 years, but I sure hope he wasnt referring to S&A, but rather just the new album.

S&A sounded very dated to me, and was not very adventurous at all. It's not that I need Rush to go back to writing 10 minute songs and trying to write Moving Pictures Part 2, but forget about writing safe songs, do what you do best. I heard a tiny bit of this on Vapor Trails, with songs like Freeze, interesting structures, odd time signatures, epic sounding chorus...

I really think that heading into the 90s Geddy just wanted to get down to writing simple songs, which was ok for a time but it's gone on way too long. I really hope that the new album is just odd sounding, no lame filler songs, just go nuts like this is the last time you'll ever get to write an album as Rush. Let it all out.

Best post of the thread and EXACTLY what my original thread post echoes. I don't want them to try and repeat ANY record from the past. But just go back to being adventurous again and quit playing it safe in the songwriting department. It IS almost like they have been trying to write a radio hit for the last 15 years. Go back to doing what you do best and that is letting it hang out musicianship wise.

^ so if I understand you both correctly:

you'd rather see Rush record an album 'doing what they do best' (in your opinion) no matter how insincere, rather than record one that is 100% honest

interesting

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 12 2010, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 12 2010, 12:10 PM)

^ so if I understand you both correctly:

you'd rather see Rush record an album 'doing what they do best' (in your opinion) no matter how insincere, rather than record one that is 100% honest

interesting

I think we've had enough "honesty" from Neil with all the religion-bashing in recent years. We get it Neil! Move on to something else!

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Nov 12 2010, 01:23 PM)
I think we've had enough "honesty" from Neil with all the religion-bashing in recent years. We get it Neil! Move on to something else!

Well, "all the religion-bashing in recent years" amounts to about five songs if you go back twenty years:

Ghost of a Chance

Armor and Sword

The Way The Wind Blows

Faithless

BU2B

(EDIT: I view these songs as being skeptical or critical of religion, not "religion-bashing.")

I do agree that there's been an increased focus on religion with S&A and CA. But it's obviously a topic that's important to them, all the way back to FBN (Anthem).

My $.02

I think Vt and S&A are a step up from the previous releases so I hope they are going in the right direction. I actually prefer VT to S&A as well. Being a lover of the instumentals, I really like the 3 off of S&A but am not much inspired by the rest of the album. VT to me, has more of a power chord type of feel which kicks you in the ass more than S&A.

I'll be the first one to admit to being an old school Rush fan and would like nothing more than to hear nothing but 70's tunes. However, I'm actually glad that Rush hasn't turned into a nostalga type 70s band that just re-hashes the past. They are still moving forward and trying to keep things fresh. Although I love the old stuff, I like the new stuff. I just wish we'd get a spattering of B-side deep cuts from the old days.

I have cautiously optimistic about the thought of a new epic. I've been waiting for this for 25 years. trink39.gif I think Nick R might just be the guy to make this happen.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Nov 12 2010, 12:12 AM)

One thing for sure, though: anyone who has a problem with the lyrics of BU2B is probably not going to like CA. That seems to be the direction the story is headed, unless Neil becomes "born again" in the next few weeks. tongue.gif I

I'll pray for that. 1022.gif

It would certainly be interesting to see where the lyrics would go from an occurrence like that.

Not that I'm looking for Christian lyrics in Rush. Plenty of music out there to choose from for that. But the Christians are stupid path he is on is been beaten to death not only by him, but many others before him. He's hardly breaking new ground here. Its just lousy source material for rock music. Save your agenda for your wife or write a book Neil. You are wrecking my rock music with your bitterness.

QUOTE (flybyknight @ Nov 12 2010, 12:18 PM)
Yeah, but Rush ARE Rush, sometimes the path they choose isn't everyones cup of tea but at least they are still experimenting!

See, I don't think very much of what they have done the last 5 albums sounds like they are experimenting at all. It sounds like they think they have "grown up" and have to write "mature" music. Writing adventurous, overplayed music is what kids do to show how good they are and guys like us are beyond that now.

An example was Neil saying he would have never considered being so bold as to play that "Neil" fill in Caravan until Nick asked for it. Well damn Neil, that was the first thrill in a Rush song in 15 years. Its the first time you've sounded like Neil since the whole Gruber debacle. The whole crowd at Pittsburgh went ape when he hit that part. Do they not notice this stuff?

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Nov 13 2010, 10:53 AM)
Yeah, but Rush ARE Rush, sometimes the path they choose isn't everyones cup of tea but at least they are still experimenting!

See, I don't think very much of what they have done the last 5 albums sounds like they are experimenting at all. It sounds like they think they have "grown up" and have to write "mature" music. Writing adventurous, overplayed music is what kids do to show how good they are and guys like us are beyond that now.

An example was Neil saying he would have never considered being so bold as to play that "Neil" fill in Caravan until Nick asked for it. Well damn Neil, that was the first thrill in a Rush song in 15 years. Its the first time you've sounded like Neil since the whole Gruber debacle. The whole crowd at Pittsburgh went ape when he hit that part. Do they not notice this stuff?

they don't care dude. they need forget the whole "grown up" thing. the "Writing adventurous, overplayed music is what kids do to show how good they are..." is when they sound the best.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Nov 13 2010, 10:58 AM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Nov 13 2010, 10:53 AM)

they don't care dude. they need forget the whole "grown up" thing. the "Writing adventurous, overplayed music is what kids do to show how good they are..." is when they sound the best.

Yep!

OH....I never did say that I think the 2 new tracks are awesome. Caravan is the proggiest thing they have done in like forever and BU2B is great as well with the keys and that bass line and everything else. And they sound great live. Yes....Nick does have to take a little credit for this:)

What Rush needs is Neil to stop holding back. Nick has pushed Neil, and Ged even makes mention of Neil's drumming in the xtra's of the Moving Pix and 2112 DVD..... Something to the effect of..

" Interestingly, as Neil has gotten older, he seems to hold back from the kinds of fills that he demonstrated on Tom Sawyer. He almost needs to be "encouraged" to drum that way now.

QUOTE (Phantom @ Nov 13 2010, 01:22 PM)
What Rush needs is Neil to stop holding back. Nick has pushed Neil, and Ged even makes mention of Neil's drumming in the xtra's of the Moving Pix and 2112 DVD..... Something to the effect of..

" Interestingly, as Neil has gotten older, he seems to hold back from the kinds of fills that he demonstrated on Tom Sawyer. He almost needs to be "encouraged" to drum that way now.

if he holds back or needs to be encouraged, that to me says that he doesn't have the fire or drive anymore. nothing wrong with that but when you're a hungry musician you do these things naturally.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Nov 13 2010, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (Phantom @ Nov 13 2010, 01:22 PM)

if he holds back or needs to be encouraged, that to me says that he doesn't have the fire or drive anymore. nothing wrong with that but when you're a hungry musician you do these things naturally.

yeah I honestly don't think Neil's heart is in it anymore... I think he probably enjoys playing and writing, but he could probably hang it up right now and still be content to live out his days without the band. I'm sure Ged & Al are the ones encouraging him to keep going, and the money of course lol

I know people disagree, but Rush is stuck in a rut in my opinion. I'm actually getting tired of Rush music. We have a jazz DVD here that shows some of the really good drummers doing solos and they all run rings around Neil.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 13 2010, 04:36 PM)
I know people disagree, but Rush is stuck in a rut in my opinion. I'm actually getting tired of Rush music. We have a jazz DVD here that shows some of the really good drummers doing solos and they all run rings around Neil.

it's not a contest but i'm sure neil could mention a few great jazz drummers out there. totally different styles and neil is a great one, but jazz drummers to me are the best. i've heard music with amazing fills and solos and they are amazing. i'm not even a big jazz fan.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Nov 13 2010, 05:15 PM)
I think Neil's last great solo was during the HYF tour, as we can see on ASOH. The one on Different Stages is boring in comparison. Although I gotta say the Rush in Rio solo is amazing.

I was actually a little disappointed with Neil's solo this tour. It was my first show and I was excited and looking forward to the drum solo. To me, it was just like the ones on the S&A and R30 DVD.

I think Neil's last great solo was during the HYF tour, as we can see on ASOH. The one on Different Stages is boring in comparison. Although I gotta say the Rush in Rio solo is amazing.

The solo on the concert in Germany (can't remember the name of the concert) was pitiful. I'm sure Neil would agree. He was basically dead on the scene.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 13 2010, 05:18 PM)

I was actually a little disappointed with Neil's solo this tour. It was my first show and I was excited and looking forward to the drum solo. To me, it was just like the ones on the S&A and R30 DVD.

yeah I'm not a fan of the most recent solos he's done. R30 was just the same Rio solo rearranged, and S&A was ok but I can't listen to the "clanging metal" part. I don't even remember much about the Time Machine solo that I saw back in August, so I guess that says a lot.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Nov 13 2010, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 13 2010, 05:18 PM)

yeah I'm not a fan of the most recent solos he's done. R30 was just the same Rio solo rearranged, and S&A was ok but I can't listen to the "clanging metal" part. I don't even remember much about the Time Machine solo that I saw back in August, so I guess that says a lot.

i can't speak for yourself but maybe the older we get the less enthusiastic we get with solos. unsure.gif old.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 13 2010, 04:36 PM)

We get it. You don't like Rush anymore. Move on. schla03.gif

Archived