Who is the REAL "King of Rock 'n' Roll"?

Earthshine

The REAL one!  

31 members have voted

1. 1. The REAL one!

• Elvis Presley
    • Little Richard
    • Chuck Berry
    • Fats Domino
    • Dave Bartholomew
    • John Lennon
    • Paul McCartney
    • Jimmy Page
    • Mick Jagger
    • Long John Baldry
    • None of the above (please tell who)

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Nov 11 2010, 01:02 PM)
I should have also had Buddy Holly, Bill Haley and Jimi Hendrix and Pete Townshend. My vote went to Jimmy Page. Jimi Hendrix would be a close 2nd.

And Falco. yes.gif

Also Mike Reno from Loverboy (aka Mister Rock and Roll)

http://images.tvrage.com/people/55/164961.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 11 2010, 04:19 PM)
Also Mike Reno from Loverboy (aka Mister Rock and Roll)

http://images.tvrage.com/people/55/164961.jpg

He's the reason I work for every weekend. I'm pulling out my headband as I write this! 1022.gif

I can't prove it but I'm pretty sure that Presley made a Faust-like deal with the Lord of Hell to reach the success and acclaim that he did. I'll never understand his appeal.

I'd have to go with Chuck Berry. yes.gif

The Jimmy Page answers I disagree with...though he'd be a strong case for a "King of Metal" title.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 11 2010, 05:27 PM)
I can't prove it but I'm pretty sure that Presley made a Faust-like deal with the Lord of Hell to reach the success and acclaim that he did.  I'll never understand his appeal.

I'd have to go with Chuck Berry.  yes.gif
The Jimmy Page answers I disagree with...though he'd be a strong case for a "King of Metal" title.

Robert Johnson made a deal with the devil too.

Makes sense to me. Again, no wonder the "King" died on his throne.

A toilet.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 11 2010, 07:27 PM)
I can't prove it but I'm pretty sure that Presley made a Faust-like deal with the Lord of Hell to reach the success and acclaim that he did.  I'll never understand his appeal.

I'd have to go with Chuck Berry.  yes.gif

You probably had to have been there in the 50s to truly understand. All the 60s rockers who grew up in that era all have said Elvis was the King so I'll take their word for it.

As for King of Metal, I'd say Ozzy.

No f-n way. Page is Blues Rock , Not metal . A heavy riff here and there is not Metal

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 12 2010, 12:24 PM)

No f-n way. Page is Blues Rock , Not metal . A heavy riff here and there is not Metal

yes sir. but can you say that his influence on metal isn't there?

I like where this thread is heading.

The King Of Metal?

Ozzy is a solid choice but I'm giving my vote to RONNIE JAMES DIO!

R.I.P.

Hey there is a new double live cd released this week. DIO: LIVE in 1983 and then live in 1987!!!

KICK ASS METAL! 1022.gif

Chuck Berry. I never realized what this dude did until I bought a Best of CD and really saw what a rocker he was through the years. Easily one could see where the Beatles got their early influence.

I have always felt Elvis was over-rated.

As far as his early stuff Elvis was not over-rated. He just didn't have as much to influence him as some of the later artists. It was always his gospel influence and the way he infused it with the blues and country sounds that made him stand shoulders above the rest performance wise. Yea, he could sing any style which is what hurt him in the 60s because that's exactly what hollywood made him do, sing all styles until there was nothing left. His comeback in the early 70s was helped by the breaking up of the Beatles.

He did ultimately become a parody of what he once was because his fan base and Parker's contract rules stifled his ability to grow musically.

But in the 50's he was called the King and for very good reason. Heck, when he went into the Army, rock and roll almost died being replaced by novelty songs and beach tunes in the charts. When he returned so did Rock and Roll.

Elvis will always be the King of Rock and Roll to me. That was what the masses decided and his continued popularity with all generations to this day seems to indicate that's never going to change.

He obtained the title with the help of a very good guitar player named Scotty Moore and he mantained it with his humility, generosity and his ultimate 'poor boy makes it big' story that is his life.

To quote an Elvis fan on the CBS television special that was aired months after his death, "He will always be the King no matter what."

cool.gif

To answer this thread seriously (for a change), I find it very difficult to answer because those people who are often considered the kings of rock and roll, meaning those who kind of started it all; Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, etc., I really don't care for. Mind you, I greatly appreciate and understand their historical importance and influence, but to me they set the stage for the truly great music that came after. Since I don't have any interest in listening to their music, it's hard for me to think of them as the king of anything.

Then there were other people listed like Lennon, McCartney, Page, Jagger, etc. Now these people I love, but king of rock and roll? All integral players, but I just can't think of any one person who I think deserves that title above and beyond all the rest.

There's Jimi Hendrix, king of the electric guitar. There's Syd Barrett, king of psychedelia. But of rock and roll in general? I guess Elvis deserves it technically, just as long as that doesn't mean I have to listen to his music. eh.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 11 2010, 11:02 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 12 2010, 12:24 PM)

yes sir. but can you say that his influence on metal isn't there?

Like i said, he had his "Metal" riffs every now and agian , but when people think "Metal " Guitar Player they really don't think of Page. My money goes on Tony Iommi for King Of Metal trink39.gif

I'd add Link Wray to that already long list. Think 'Rumble'.

Archived