Kid Gloves

Mara

QUOTE (anchorman @ Nov 8 2010, 07:21 PM)

But isn't that what makes this band so great ? Someone out there got turned on to Rush with the HYF CD and the rest is history. Hooked for life.

One of the best observations ever made on this board.

QUOTE (anchorman @ Nov 8 2010, 06:21 PM)
Hold Your Fire ?  Whole different story.  It's still the biggest disappointment of all their music to me.  In 1987, I couldn't wait for the new album to come out.  It was the longest layoff between albums at the time.

It was only one year off, the same as Hemispheres to Permanent Waves, or Signals to Grace Under Pressure.

Oh, and HYF is in my Top 3 albums, be nice smile.gif

And now back on topic, Kid Gloves is a fantastic song all-around (I have it at 31 in my Top 50). The intro is simply captivating and catchy. Also have to love the lyrics "tough to be so cool/cool to be so tough." I like to think of it as somewhat a continuation of Subdivisions.

I remember one of my first impressions of KG was that it had a little older sound than the rest of the album. Like it could have been on Signals, at least. They way they play live these days, them playing this very cool song would be, well.. as my friend Mark would say, "REEEEDICULOUSS!" trink38.gif 2.gif

Hold Your Fire ? Whole different story. It's still the biggest disappointment of all their music to me.

I love Hold Your Fire ... I know it's maybe their most mellow album, but I am really hooked on it. Actually, I am ... probably unlike many of you here ... a big fan of the entire 80s keyboard period. They wrote some amazing songs in that period.

QUOTE (01GT Eibach @ Nov 10 2010, 09:18 AM)
Hold Your Fire ?  Whole different story.  It's still the biggest disappointment of all their music to me.

I love Hold Your Fire ... I know it's maybe their most mellow album, but I am really hooked on it. Actually, I am ... probably unlike many of you here ... a big fan of the entire 80s keyboard period. They wrote some amazing songs in that period.

I think more people dislike T4E and Vapor Trails than anything from the 80's. Personally I enjoy 2112 through Presto.

QUOTE (01GT Eibach @ Nov 10 2010, 09:18 AM)
Hold Your Fire ?  Whole different story.  It's still the biggest disappointment of all their music to me.

I love the synth era and like HYF. The last 2 tracks killed it. It would have been nearly perfect if Turn the Page ended the album. IMO

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Nov 10 2010, 10:46 PM)
QUOTE (anchorman @ Nov 8 2010, 04:21 PM)

Go back and listen to the bass on Turn The Page. It's nothing short of epic 2.gif

Don't get me wrong, there are nice moments on HYF, it's Rush ! But, I didn't like the sound of the Wal bass and Alex's Canadian Signature guitars. I think Neil sounds amazing and stands out.

When I heard the opening Bass riff of Turn The Page, I thought 'Ok, this is good' but the rest of the song just didn't do it for me. Part of the issue was my fault. My expectations were for a totally different sound.

Archived