The History of Rock

worthog

I'm taking the History of Rock class and Rush is not included in the book or talked about except the mentioning of 2112 and Superconductor but they were not the subject of the snetce just examples. I was wondering what others might think about this. Besides opinion, I want to see what kind of logical arguement anybody could present about their influence in rock music as to why/why not they should be taught in the course. Is it bias by my proffessor, or are they really not that influential.

(keep in mind I would probably teach a class called the History of Rush if I could one day, but I am really curious to see if anybody think I have merit to present a logical arguement to the professor to get them a bigger part in the book)

Well it's perfectly understandable, they can't possibly cover every single rock band in history and Rush have never been mainstream. I'm surprised 2112 and (Superconductor??) were even mentioned.

What bands got a lot of coverage?

If there is a whole chapter on guys like Elvis Costello and only little bits of this and that on Zep, Cream, Hendrix, Van Halen then you might as well be reading the back catalog of Rolling Stone magazine.

My personal opinion?

I don't really care hat ANYBODY says - Rush never being in the mainstream means nothing at this point. It may have been the reason they aren't regarded as influential if you asked me this question 30 years ago .

However.. in today's music world, it is a definite YES answer. Rush are extremely influential. You can ask the average teen who starts up a band, and 9 times out of 10 (at least), one of their major influences for doing so is in fact Rush.

They have accomplished so much in their 40 year career (which is a feat all on its own). I personally don't think any band could EVER surpass them.

Now, if you're saying there's no coverage of them, that's sad and heavily biased It's the same way with the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Why aren't Rush in it? Is it because they're Canadian, or some other reason?

God, this world sucks sometimes!!

Rant over tongue.gif

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Nov 2 2010, 05:51 PM)
My personal opinion?

I don't really care hat ANYBODY says - Rush never being in the mainstream means nothing at this point. It may have been the reason they aren't regarded as influential if you asked me this question 30 years ago .

However.. in today's music world, it is a definite YES answer. Rush are extremely influential. You can ask the average teen who starts up a band, and 9 times out of 10 (at least), one of their major influences for doing so is in fact Rush.

They have accomplished so much in their 40 year career (which is a feat all on its own). I personally don't think any band could EVER surpass them.

Now, if you're saying there's no coverage of them, that's sad and heavily biased It's the same way with the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Why aren't Rush in it? Is it because they're Canadian, or some other reason?

Rant over tongue.gif

where I live, you ask the average teen about Rush and they say "who?"

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Nov 2 2010, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Nov 2 2010, 05:51 PM)
My personal opinion?

Now, if you're saying there's no coverage of them, that's sad and heavily biased It's the same way with the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Why aren't Rush in it?  Is it because they're Canadian, or some other reason?

Rant over  tongue.gif

where I live, you ask the average teen about Rush and they say "who?"

I'm 15, and most people my age have heard of Rush. Not all of them like them, but at least they've heard of them and know a few of their songs.

I was in a small college town of 4000 this past weekend, sporting my Time Machine Tour T-shirt, and a staggering amount of people commented on the band, specific albums, and asked if I'd been to the show a couple months ago.

I remember when I was in high school (mid-90s) a few of my "musician" friends were into Rush, but nobody else my age even knew who they were. Of course it was the middle of the grunge era...

Archived